Italian inline fighters

AdrianMF

Had an enjoyable read through this thread this morning.  You are certainly a brave man taking on several Sword kits at once!  There are a couple of STGBs next year that might see me building multiple kits at once, but they wont be short run kits.

AW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/09/2023 at 16:31, AdrianMF said:

IMG-7144.jpg

It's pictures like this that make me think my eyesight is on the blink! 🙃

This thread is quite mad, but I've got to admire the audacity. :popcorn:

Edited by Bobby No Mac
Some weird double post within a post thing going on
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/09/2023 at 12:58, Bobby No Mac said:

pictures like this

Pictures like that make me very happy, for some unexplained reason...

On 25/09/2023 at 12:58, Bobby No Mac said:

quite mad

Is that quite as in "rather" or quite as in "barking"? Wait, maybe I don't need to know...

On 25/09/2023 at 21:57, 81-er said:

chain seatbelt

I've previously done it with 5A fuse wire, which is tinned so it's a silver colour from the get-go, but copper wire paints up nicely and looks just as good if you can splosh silver paint over the seat as well and give it a dark wash. 

So far this weekend there has been a lot of fettling, mainly sanding down the wing fairings until the wings click on neatly without losing any dihedral. They are all together now:

IMG-7168.jpg

The upper surfaces just need a spot of PPP to fill the small gaps at the roots. I've got the propeller tubes in and I even remembered all three oil cooler inserts!

The undersides need a bit more filling in the corners but I'm pretty happy with the fit overall:

IMG-7169.jpg

I also need to fill in the access panels and ejector chutes for the sottoserie 0 because it didn't have guns in the wings.

The madness continues...

• Like 8

Just didn't get enough bench time this weekend! I had a mid-afternoon appointment that seemed to eat up the whole day.

I have put on some Tamiya putty that I will leave to harden for a day before sanding it down, and I will fill in the upper wing gaps with PPP and wipe off the excess:

IMG-7170.jpg

• Like 6

Cripes, turn your back on the thread & Adrian goes mad, least, that's what it said, I'm sure. ;) :D I thought that was a slight over statement, a bit potty maybe should cover it. Good potty though, these are coming on nicely Adrian, though I confess to some to & froing on previous posts to orient myself again. You've been doing things with prop shafts haven't you. :) 

Steve.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

prop shafts

The kit has a stub axle on the back of the propeller that isn't long enough to turn into a spinning axle.

Evergreen do a pack of nested plastic tubes and rods, so I have enlarged the hole in the faceplate and stuck 1cm of the big tube in. Then I can replace the stub axle with the rod, then slide a length of the thinner tube over it and add a collar. That gives me a freely rotating prop I can add at the end.

Mad but methodical.

Or potty with a purpose? :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Evergreen do a pack of nested plastic tubes and rods,

I go to reasonable effort to be able to pop props in & out at will, saves busted blades I reckon, I will look into the Evergreen solution, sounds like a good idea, not potty at all. :)

Steve.

I had to wait a week to make sure the putty had stopped shrinking, but all three are filled and sanded now:

IMG-7185.jpg

The sottoserie 0 (inverted) has had the ejector chutes below the wing and the removable panels above filled in. I'm wondering if it might be less faff to trim the fin and rudder down to the early shape and re-scribe the balance horn instead of cutting it off and replacing it.

• Like 6

The replacement fin leading edge would have needed extending so it was easier to cut the fin off and stick the replacement on:

IMG-7188.jpg

Yes, I did check it was the right airframe!

Quite neat. The replacement fin is a tad narrower (better that way round than the other!). I've already cleaned it up and I'm very pleased. The tailplanes look like they will be a nice fit too, and the plastic works well with the Contacta cement, forming a positive bond very quickly.

• Like 5

Seems like a good place to stop for the evening:

IMG-7189.jpg

(edit) Looking at the photo made me realise how much software trickery there is in these phone cameras. I put a dot of bright red paint on all the port tailplanes and the camera has smeared it out! You can see a faint red tint but here's what it really looks like:

IMG-7190.jpg

• Like 10

Today started with painting the inside of the radiators and drilling out the air intakes:

IMG-7193.jpg

The Reggiane got some love too with the cockpit and tailwheel being  built. It turns out you can add the exhausts much later (instructions have it as step 1):

IMG-7194.jpg

Lots of filling and sanding and fiddling around:

IMG-7196.jpg

But we're getting there (with a list of course):

IMG-7197.jpg

And we need to get somewhere by the end of next weekend! 🫢🤞🫣

• Like 10

It has been a fiddly day. The aerial in the kit is far too fat so the first job was to make new aerials out of plastic rod tapered and made into an oval cross section:

IMG-7199.jpg

Times three of course!

This is not a picture of bedbugs off the Eurostar... clean up some cowl blisters that need sticking on:

IMG-7200.jpg

For the sottoserie 0 with the fuselage guns I carved a couple of vents out of 60 thou card:

IMG-7203.jpg

I didn't fancy doing more carving to make the central blister out of 60 thou so i sanded down a handy bit of sprue and cut a slice off it:

IMG-7202.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Will she make he deadline, Adrian?

Ha! Dunno....

There's been too much Real LifeTM and not enough model time this year!

I may slim it down to one and take the rest to KUTA. That would give me one undercarriage and one paint job in the next six days. Hmmm...

(and that laugh reaction to your post is tinged with a hint of nervous hysteria...)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

This feels familiar; last weekend, a mountain to climb...

I've decided to concentrate on one and take the other three to KUTA, so here is the selected one:

IMG-7210.jpg

IMG-7211.jpg
This is the sottoserie 0 one, green with nocciola splodges on top with a white band and RAI markings. I have painted the white for the band and cross on the rudder, and the background for the fasces on the fuselage. I have some leftover home printed decals. The wing fasces have no white background, which saves a bit of painting. And yes, I should have painted the white before the grey underside...

I have been playing catch-up with GBs this year, always last minute. Anyhow, this looks doable for tomorrow 🤞

• Like 6

Two and a bit hours of poking the model with a cut down brush got me this:

IMG-7222.jpg

IMG-7224.jpg

I'm very pleased with it. Although you can see the brushmarks clearly if you zoom in (everyone zooms in 🙄) from regular viewing distance it has a slightly soft edge. I think I'll finish this one in WIP because it isn't far off being done, and save the other two for KUTA, which is only a couple of weeks away.

So next it's some Supermodels in Classic Italian GB and some teeny-tiny Swordfishes in the FAA GB.

Thanks for a super GB and sorry for having such poor time management!

• Like 8