Italian inline fighters

AdrianMF

As I mentioned in the chat, I have a bunch of Italian fighters. If it's acceptable to the hosts, I will start a thread for all of them here and post them in the gallery singly if and when I get them finished.

If not, let me know, and I will split the thread up accordingly.

The two week extension will help!

Anyhow, Sword and RS Models, and three Italeri kits that are ineligible for both the "Italian Job " (kits are too new) and "I feel deserted" (schemes are Mediterranean) GBs:

IMG-7119.jpg

The Sword comes in an incredible value double boxing. Here's the remainder of my first boxing plus another double:

IMG-7120.jpg

The first one built up nicely:

972-CCF96-1-D2-E-42-A6-8836-0872-E06-F8-

I have also built the FROG and Supermodel versions:

E4-C91-C8-D-EA17-4671-B6-BB-B159843-D5-C

(The Sword is much, much better than either)

The boxing has seven schemes; I am going to do two more from the box schemes and a light conversion back to an early one.

The RS Model kit looks nice too; I just built their Caudron 714 and it was a fun build:

IMG-7121.jpg

I will get to the Italeri kits later (maybe!).

(edit) Just remembered I've got a FROG Macchi 202 downstairs in the stash too!

• Like 3

This should be fun, Adrian :) I've got that Sword kit on my list to pick up at some point, I really like the box art splinter scheme, and I liked the way it went together on your last build

James

• Thanks 1

The insides of the tail fins (and the wings) have a slanting edge, so they needs sanding down to get a flat joining surface and sharp tailing edges:

IMG-7124.jpg

(Edit) a few passes over some coarse sandpaper flat on the bench sorts them out:

IMG-7125.jpg

• Like 2

Well, time has passed surprisingly quickly and I've got three cockpits assembled:

IMG-7127.jpg

The eagle-eyed will note that the port fuselage half actually has a rib to position the tailwheel bulkhead. Next time...

Next, a bit of paint, sort out the oil cooler insert and how to make a spinning propeller, then join up the fuselages and get on with the wings!

• Like 6

...or I could have a look at the Reggiane 2005. Compared to the Fiat, it is a lot more compact, although the cowling is a similar shape and size because they both used the DB605:

IMG-7130.jpg

The Reggiane series of fighters have a lot of visual similarities to the Seversky P-35. The designers would have seen pictures of the P-35 and been influenced by how it looked, but there is no evidence of foul play at work.

RS Models has moulded the all of the fin and rudder on one half and there is a recess at the bottom to allow the stub of the rudder on the other half to snuggle up. This is not deep and square enough, so a bit of excavation is needed:

IMG-7128.jpg

Then the two halves fit together neatly:

IMG-7131.jpg

And while we are on the topic of strange features of the kit:

IMG-7132.jpg

That pitot tube is not going to survive construction! I will snip it off now and use it as a pattern or a metal tubing one later in the build.

The RS kit feels much more "short run" than the Sword and the plastic is quite a bit softer, but the detailing is sharp and the fit is good once it has all been tidied up.

I think the ejector towers are going to need a weeny bit of attention too :)

IMG-7133.jpg

• Like 11

14 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

the port fuselage half actually has a rib to position the tailwheel bulkhead.

or failing that, the starboard fuselage halves have a rib to position the tailwheel bulkhead. <_<  ;) 

Making good progress here Adrian. 

Steve.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Sadly not! But by the time I noticed the port rib, I'd already finagled the bulkheads into position on the other half and I wasn't about to rip 'em all out again. 

I'm sure I'll remember this when I dig into my Sword G.55 double kit, maybe. :unsure:

Steve.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 81-er said:

cockups solutions

Erm, right the first time!

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

so many at a time

I built a pair of Airfix P-38F/Gs concurrently and that worked well for me. You only have to work out the fit issues or modifications once, and then it's easy to do it once or twice more while you still have it fresh in your mind and all the necessary bits and pieces in front of you. And the Sword kits are very nice and go together well, and the RS kit will keep me busy while the Sword kit paint and glue dry. I certainly wouldn't want to do it in significantly larger quantities*, nor would I want to build kits from different manufacturers because the issues would be different on each one. So not like @corsaircorp:)

I have left it a bit late to start though. Keeps it "interesting"...

Regards,

Adrian

* I painted wargame army  quantities of identical figures in my teens - never again!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

You only have to work out the fit issues or modifications once, and then it's easy to do it once or twice more while you still have it fresh in your mind and all the necessary bits and pieces in front of you.

Hadn’t thought of that but makes a lot of sense…

• Like 1

Wings day today...

First off, the undercarriage walls/spars and the tailplanes are not symmetrical, so I added a red dot to show the port ones while I had the parts map in front of me:

IMG-7144.jpg

The shiny bit at the trailing edge shows that, like the rudders, the wings won't join nicely:

IMG-7145.jpg

Lots of sanding and scaping needed:

IMG-7146.jpg

You can see on the right of the picture the much thinner trailing edge as a result:

IMG-7147.jpg

Because this is a bit of a fettle-fit-repeat job I thought I'd label them up and keep them in the sets they were fettled in:

IMG-7148.jpg

IMG-7149.jpg

The ends of the wall/spar pieces don't align with the ends of the guide rails. You need to put the resin piece in place and then butt the ends up to the resin. The outer end then lines up with the outer edge of the wheel well. "A" shows it all dry fitted in place, B shows the fit and C shows the the resin piece isnt fitted yet because it needs to be painted: 

IMG-7151.jpg

• Like 8

And painted:

IMG-7156.jpg

Tomorrow I will give it all a wash, do the leather, black and aluminium details, add seat belts and sort out the propeller before gluing the halves together.

...and I have just realised I need to do the interior of the oil cooler insert and tailwheel well before sticking it together. :facepalm:

• Like 11

On 9/23/2023 at 3:24 AM, AdrianMF said:

Erm, right the first time!

I built a pair of Airfix P-38F/Gs concurrently and that worked well for me. You only have to work out the fit issues or modifications once, and then it's easy to do it once or twice more while you still have it fresh in your mind and all the necessary bits and pieces in front of you. And the Sword kits are very nice and go together well, and the RS kit will keep me busy while the Sword kit paint and glue dry. I certainly wouldn't want to do it in significantly larger quantities*, nor would I want to build kits from different manufacturers because the issues would be different on each one. So not like @corsaircorp:)

I have left it a bit late to start though. Keeps it "interesting"...

Regards,

Adrian

* I painted wargame army  quantities of identical figures in my teens - never again!!

Well played Adrian :rofl2::rofl2:

Great job on the fighters !!

You're right but my goal is very oftenly to improve an old kit with a more modern one...

There's where my fun is :shrug::shrug:

Congratulations, it's a great project, I'll follow if you don't mind...

Sincerely.

CC

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

but my goal is very oftenly to improve an old kit with a more modern one

No slur intended CC! I'm shamelessly running this as a production line to cut down on effort, and I love your comparison builds.

Indeed, part of my reasoning for having a pile of Italian fighters was that I wanted to build the FROG and Supermodel versions of the Macchis alongside the Italeri ones, but the kit dates and colour schemes mean that they don't tidily fit into the desert or Italian GBs, and I don't have time to build them all in this one!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

No slur intended CC! I'm shamelessly running this as a production line to cut down on effort, and I love your comparison builds.

Indeed, part of my reasoning for having a pile of Italian fighters was that I wanted to build the FROG and Supermodel versions of the Macchis alongside the Italeri ones, but the kit dates and colour schemes mean that they don't tidily fit into the desert or Italian GBs, and I don't have time to build them all in this one!

Regards,

Adrian

Come on Adrian...:rofl2:

Just one more little step....:rofl2:

You're almost on CC's way....:cheers::cheers:

The pleasure in looking at the face of a fellow modeller, asking you if it is an Hasegawa Kit ???

And you answer with a biiiig smile... "Huh no, it is an Hobbycraft one"

Sooo pleasant:whistle::whistle:

Well done on your production line...

sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hasegawa Kits 

Hmm, this won't measure up then... it's a pretty nice kit :(

Details day today. Seat belts, a persistent source of amusement for my daughter:

IMG-7157.jpg

The foil is country-accurate (and jolly nice too).

To reproduce the chain seat belts, I have wrapped some super thin copper wire round the silver wire, slid it off and crushed it flat.

IMG-7158.jpg

Detail painting and gunk wash next...

• Like 9

Well the wash has dried and I am happy with it, not too strong but visible enough through a canopy:

IMG-7159.jpg

Seats and engine inserts (what you can  see of them!) look OK too:

IMG-7161.jpg

I have cleaned up the seams on the wings destined to be the sottoserie 0 (no wing guns) and filled in the cannon holes with some tapered stretched sprue ends:

IMG-7162.jpg

The engine bay of that one will need gun barrels in it because it had guns mounted in the fuselage firing under the engine. It will also need a shorter early fin and channels in the lower cowling for the guns.

The radiator of one of the others will need an inside coat of RLM 76 and not Italian blue-grey. Starting to get complicated!

• Like 9