1/72 - Ilyushin Il-18 (1946) resin kit by ABM - released

Homebee

I love it when someone comes out with something really obscure. I am betting a lot of people will never have heard of the 'first' Il-18. Gives me hope that one day someone will kits another obscure airliner, and to my eyes one of the most beautiful ever built, the Armstrong Whitworth Apollo.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I believe that is one of the ones Stalin caused to be cancelled because it could carry more than 50 passengers. He seems to have thought more than 50 deaths in one crash was too much. Who knew what a humanitarian he was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Very nice model! 

On 10/04/2024 at 22:24, Trenton guy said:

I believe that is one of the ones Stalin caused to be cancelled because it could carry more than 50 passengers. He seems to have thought more than 50 deaths in one crash was too much. Who knew what a humanitarian he was.

I think more formal reason not to go forward with this airplane (and with Tu-70) was lack of ASh-73 engines that were badly needed to build a fleet of Il-4 bombers. And really Aeroflot did not really need such airplane for its routes. Passenger flights were not a necessity in post-war country. Super-affordable passenger flights came in much later in 1970s with introduction of Tu-134 and Tu-154 in large quantities. 

It looks like the communist cousin of the Stratocruiser.

I have some other kits by the same maker, impressive works of art

- but I will pass on this one, too large and looking too normal compared to some of the other Soviet aircraft he has kitted.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Ilyushin Il-18 (1946) resin kit by ABM - released