M3 Lee Early Production, Miniart 35206 Interior Kit **** FINISHED ****

edjbartos

Hello everyone, onto a new project, I had a look at what I have left to build and I still have four Miniart M3's to build. I did one a while back in the M3 group build which I enjoyed making, so I thought now's a good time to do another. Three of them are just normal builds but one is an interior build which I fancy doing now whilst I'm still able to do so.

So the one that I have picked is the M3 Lee Early Production, here is the box art...

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2557&authke

There are eight versions to choose from, three Red Army, two German, a Canadian version and two US Army. The only versions that interest me here are the US ones, one is the 1st Armoured Division and the other is the 2nd Armoured Division US Army. Fort Benning (Georgia) early 1942. This is the version that I will be making. Here is the colour and marking scheme...

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2554&authke

To start things off I started to work on the baseplate, the parts have nice crisp detail and look fabulous, really looking forward to doing this...

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2556&authke

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2555&authke

I really like doing their interior builds, looking at the instructions there should be plenty of opportunity for panels to be removed later on to show off all the interior details, so that's the plan...

That's it for now I have quite a few parts to clean up next for the next stage so will be back soon.

all the best

Ed

• Like 26

A bit crowded in here already, make room for one more please

Nice start looking forward to the next update now!

Stay safe                  Roger

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Looks very good Ed. I will gladly follow along and learn. All the best in your build.👍

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You've grabbed my attention Ed, so carry on, I'll be following with interest.

John.

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Ed,

A project that will be very interesting to follow, I will try to do it.🤔

Nice progress.

Cheers

Francis.👍

3 hours ago, Keeff said:

Oooh, another interior build!  C'mon gents, move along ... I need a front row seat for this!  🤣

Carry on @edjbartos!  

Keith 😁 

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

A bit crowded in here already, make room for one more please

Nice start looking forward to the next update now!

Stay safe                  Roger

2 hours ago, psdavidson said:

I'll lurk in the corner ...... 

Many thanks Gents, glad to have you all along for the ride...

all the best

Ed

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Model Mate said:

I enjoyed this kit, although it did take me quite a while with a few pauses - it's quite a commitment. I'm sure you'll make a brilliant job of it!

Yes, this is one of those kits where you need to take your time, but it's looks amazing and I'm looking forward to slowly build it... thanks for commenting

Ed

• Like 1

Have this in the stash and have built two of their non-interior Grants which were superb.  It took me a long time to build their T-34/85 with interior, but it was very enjoyable overall. Their kits are excellent, so I'll be watching this along with everyone else here-Slainte!

• Thanks 1

On 08/09/2023 at 19:24, beefy66 said:

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Many thanks

On 11/09/2023 at 01:33, f matthews said:

Have this in the stash and have built two of their non-interior Grants which were superb.  It took me a long time to build their T-34/85 with interior, but it was very enjoyable overall. Their kits are excellent, so I'll be watching this along with everyone else here-Slainte!

I've done quite a few and have always enjoyed them, so I'm looking forward to this...

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

Definitely looking forward to this. I've just started my first 1/35 armour in many a year, and my first ever interior, with Miniart's AEC Mk II. I really enjoyed and admired the work in your earlier WiP threads, so this is a must for me!

That's very kind, thanks

• Like 1

Hello all, I've managed to do a bit more to my Lee,  I started to work around the transmission area,  Lots of small parts here, but ok to do. I did little sub assemblies with the footplates and pedals, all the parts here are temporarily glued with masking fluid to check the fit. Good job too, the order that I did them by gluing the footplates first, then adding the two seat support mounts meant that the left hand side seat support was difficult to locate in it's corresponding hole, making it slightly askew, you can just see it in the photo...

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2568&authke

So the support bars need to be glued in first. Other than that everything fits nicely together. Here's another photo with more parts that I have prepared, these are mostly for the firewall, with the exception of the seat and the storage for the shells...

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2570&authke

In the instructions Miniart want you to glue the firewall to the base and then add all the bits to it. I think that makes it a little bit awkward for some of the parts, so I decided to glue everything onto the firewall first so that this can be fitted  as a single unit....

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2569&authke

So that's the update for now, the weather has cooled down a bit so that I can start to prime and paint everything. But first  I need  disassemble all the bits around the transmission area...

That's it for now, I'll be back when I have more to show

All the best

Ed

• Like 18

9 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Ed,

Good start, and a clean and well organized job.
I very much agree with adding the bits to the firewall first, although it may be more difficult to paint them later (assuming they come in different colors).

Cheers

Francis.👍

Thanks Francis, pretty much most of the bits that are glued on are white, I've left a few parts off which are actually different colours, but I'll paint those separately and add later...

all the best

Ed

9 hours ago, Keeff said:

Nice progress Ed.  Your work is clean and crisp ... and a good decision to add bits to the firewall before fitting. 

Keith 😁 

Many thanks Keith, very much appreciated...

Ed

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Model Mate said:

Great job so far Ed. From memory the sticky-up pole (dancing entertainment for the crew?) will be just sitting there waiting to get snapped in half, so have some sturdy wire at hand....

Yes I agree, It definitely looks as though it will happen, you just know it will.... just as you think its all going ok, then snap...🤣

all the best

Ed

A bit late to the party but ok... i'll stand in the back while following along with this build. 

Great progress so far. The parts look crisp.

Since my last build i really love the somewhat odd shape of these M3 tanks. 

Keep it up... i'll cheer you on from the back. ( i'm the shouting guy with the beer 😁 )

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

A bit late to the party but ok... i'll stand in the back while following along with this build. 

Great progress so far. The parts look crisp.

Since my last build i really love the somewhat odd shape of these M3 tanks. 

Keep it up... i'll cheer you on from the back. ( i'm the shouting guy with the beer 😁 )

Thanks Maddoxx, I agree, I also love the shape of the M3 Lee/Grants, so I ended up buying a few of them. Just got to build them now...

all the best

Ed 

• Like 1

A new update, I carried on with the construction and added bits to both side walls....

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2600&authke

Then it was time to prime and paint everything. Pretty much most of the hull was painted white. I had a bit of trouble here, I was using Mig Ammo white which has a satin finish, I thought this would be a  better finish for the pin wash on all the rivets and bolts etc. But as I started airbrushing over the primer I noticed what looked like large dried on bubbles similar as if there was grease or oil underneath. I wish I took a photo, I can only think maybe the paint wasn't mixed thoroughly with the thinner.  So I had to wait for it to dry completely and then sand the patches away. I then used Tamiya XF-2 which I should have used in the first place and resprayed everything. Once dry I applied some pin washes and started assembling everything together....

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2596&authke

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2599&authke

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2591&authke

I then painted the side walls ready for assembly...

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2593&authke

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2592&authke

Finally some views with the sidewalls in place, I also added the top plates to the sidewalls, more parts to be added to them at a later stage...

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2597&authke

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2598&authke

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2595&authke

embed?resid=F190303764FC62FC!2594&authke

That's all for now, next up looks like I will be starting the engine assembly. See you when I have more to show...

all the best

Ed

• Like 24