The Pink Fin… in the BIN ! (1:48)

Sam

Greetings!

There is a Italeri 1:48 scale GR1 Tornado in my stash which I would like to build. 

This time, the main trouble for me is what loadout to choose. I have all available loadouts as aftermarket (eduard big sin, and Hindenburg tanks). Decalwise I have a good variety to choose as well.

I am torn apart between an early days JP233 with regular tanks (if my information is correct the regular  tanks were used with JP233 due to TOM) and Paveways with Hindenburg bags. I am slightly inclinded to do the JP233, as this is the only opportunity to display those weapons in my shelf. 

A Paveway option together with a Buccaneer would be lovely too. 

Then again, I really like Alarm Belle (don’t ask me why). 

I am going to start construction and then we shall see. 

No @Enzo the Magnificent, I do not have the capacity to build them all 😛

Edited by Sam
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Sam said:

No @Enzo the Magnificent, I do not have the capacity to build them all 😛

He will say it anyway. 😁

17 minutes ago, Sam said:

I am torn apart between an early days JP233 with regular tanks (if my information is correct the regular  tanks were used with JP233 due to TOM) and Paveways with Hindenburg bags. I am slightly inclinded to do the JP233, as this is the only opportunity to display those weapons in my shelf. 

I was going to do the same in 1/72nd, a start of the war Tornado with JP233 and combat fuel tanks, the only problem is they did not have any nose art at that time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I was going to do the same in 1/72nd, a start of the war Tornado with JP233 and combat fuel tanks, the only problem is they did not have any nose art at that time.

True. 
However, the JP233 is such a unique weapon and the mission set coming with it against Iraqi airfields is a tough one. It looks like this is more important to me than nose art.

But then again…

What have you decided to build?

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam said:

Then again, I really like Alarm Belle (don’t ask me why). 

I do think ALARMs are one of the more aesthetically pleasing missiles out there.. I'm torn between Anola Kay so I can show them off, or Awesome Annie to keep consistant with an unintentional 617 sqn. theme I seem to have going on in the stash.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karearea said:

I do think ALARMs are one of the more aesthetically pleasing missiles out there.. I'm torn between Anola Kay so I can show them off, or Awesome Annie to keep consistant with an unintentional 617 sqn. theme I seem to have going on in the stash.

Plus Anola Kay has a sharkmouth…. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam said:

JP233 is such a unique weapon and the mission set coming with it against Iraqi airfields is a tough one

Like the sound of this Sam, but whatever the fit out this promises to be a great build!

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the GB Sam and with a superb choice!

It looks like you have decent options to choose from though I would agree with you that the JP233 is an important option that I would be inclined to opt for as much as I like nose art and shark mouths.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sam said:

However, the JP233 is such a unique weapon and the mission set coming with it against Iraqi airfields is a tough one. It looks like this is more important to me as nose art.

The JP233 was a huge cluster munition and looks really impressive, I was slightly disappointed that Eduard had covered it with deep rivet 'divots' they must have employed the guy that made the same mistake on the Hasegawa F-104's. :whistle:   

Without Sqn markings or nose art the pink Tornado's look a bit...mehh.  This one looks better, I took this photo in the 80's when the Tornado and JP233 were newer.

This 27 Sqn GR.1 Tornado was polished up and weapons laid out for a visit from HM the Queen.

PICT0313 (1)

8 hours ago, Sam said:

What have you decided to build?

I cannot believe that I have never built a desert Spitfire.  :hmmm:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Well now would be a great opportunity to right that wrong Bob.😉

The funny thing is Craig, I was just checking what desert Spitfires I have in my stash only yesterday. :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

A desert tonka with jp233's is a wonderful thing.

researching a 32 scale gulf war tonka build i read a lot and listened to a lot of podcasts with recitals of the sorties.

full respect to some brave men doing those low altitude attacks. 

good luck with the build sam, i am looking forward to this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

The JP233 was a huge cluster munition and looks really impressive, I was slightly disappointed that Eduard had covered it with deep rivet 'divots' they must have employed the guy that made the same mistake on the Hasegawa F-104's. :whistle:   

Without Sqn markings or nose art the pink Tornado's look a bit...mehh.  This one looks better, I took this photo in the 80's when the Tornado and JP233 were newer.

This 27 Sqn GR.1 Tornado was polished up and weapons laid out for a visit from HM the Queen.

PICT0313 (1)

I cannot believe that I have never built a desert Spitfire.  :hmmm:

Thank you Bob @Retired Bob for both the picture and the headsup concerning the eduards’s JP233 surface texture!

• Like 1

I can see your quandry with the JP233 and nose art. What you could do is build an aircraft that went to the numerous air shows after the gulf and still in pink with art, fitting the JP233 to this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jabba said:

I can see your quandry with the JP233 and nose art. What you could do is build an aircraft that went to the numerous air shows after the gulf and still in pink with art, fitting the JP233 to this.

That‘s a clever workaround @Jabba.

However, I have never been the airshow guy and also in my civilian job now I am just a regular line guy. I like to do the job properly, without spectators, and enjoy the little special world with those involved. I will stick with a no noseart JP233 Tornado. It might be possible though to build the ZA447/EA MiG Eater, which killed a Mirage F1 with their JP233 on the first sortie. 

• Like 1

I have a bit of good news and a bit of bad news. I have found a picture of ZA447/Mig Eater in a book of mine called Gulf Graffiti, which has lots of pictures of British Gulf aircraft and their nose art. Good news there is a picture of ZA447 with a sharkmouth, mission markings plus a MiG 29 symbol and carrying JP233, but the bad news is that is not the normal sharkmouth that we have been used to being just red and White, plus the photo is not the best. I will try and scn it in and PM it to you as I do not want to break copyright issues.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the Hellenic Viper flying away into my display vitrine, it is now time to move on to the next victim:

p?i=8ca8af059c7e1eec455d6718a4de1d4a

Since all instructions tell you to start with the cockpit I decided to start with the tailerons:

p?i=1ed3bbb44221f1ede4b1c17fed45333e

I have watched Jenesis‘ Foxy Killer series and therefore was alerted to the trenches on the kit tailerons (same with both kits, Revell and Italeri). Photos on the internet confirm: they have to disappear:

p?i=38bdeb4a9fea3746386f1aff1f508218

p?i=fdeb34b75fef7f0e161486c6d1dcc51a

So out with the fillers!

• Like 5

A look at the cockpit components I will use:

kit thub, looking good to me:

p?i=b7c7c45ffa1637dc1377001f838ec559

eduard panels. Front and rear panel do not have the same grey 🤔:

p?i=b4c76309fdfe6e5e103da5390119c98d

and CMK Martin Bakers, these look juicy:

p?i=20721acdfdf1fc2dcd7e5ee8c06feb69

ok, time to get to work 👍🏽

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I got sucked into DCS….

but still managed to get a little done on the Tornado, despite work constantly getting in the way….

This is Italeri‘s idea of the navigators „upfront panel“:

p?i=4ff01341c13e2ae20ea490b7203dd595

I don’t like it, so it has to go…

After a lot of testfitting, I committed to glue:

p?i=7c525d5c4aa8b3be85c3b02547665ceb

front fuselage zipped up, and work on the rear bulkhead has started:

p?i=fec0d15d099be0d31a1afa324fa72c15

a peek inside. Question: were the greenish anti-slip floormats in place during Granby? (I can still add them now):

p?i=4e4dab26f323730243622190c9f1718d

p?i=c64879acb1f0b0cac39094df39df1d54

work on the „upfront control panel“. It‘s a mix of eduard look resin, photoetched parts and plasticard:

p?i=492e6688d76d7929a10ad3b80f86fbfa

the finished „boxes“ will be glued in place onto the flat plasticard once finished. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Wings unlevel said:

Ha! I guess DCS can help you really understand just what a Tornado office looks like too?!

I am a Hornet guy, and I shall stick to it for a while. However, the Tomcat keeps calling…

There is no high fidelity module for the Tornado in DCS yet.

• Like 1

• Sam changed the title to The Pink Fin… in the BIN ! (1:48)