Isopropyl Alcohol IPA - any cheaper alternatives for cleaning 3D prints?

bootneck

I assume it is for UV resin printouts cleaning :)

There are water cleanable resins but I had very mixed results with them. They work fine for printing but cleaning is harder. The resin is oily and just using my cleaning station won't clean the items well. You need to scrub the printed items.

Also - the dirty water is still toxic (and vapors are as bad, so mask is a must), so it needs to be run through UV light before disposing it.

It was down to the preferred IPA recycling method for me.

This one works for me

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

I use Anycubic water washable resin

All I do to clean my prints is to give them a swish wash in very warm soapy water

No scrubbing at all and they're lucky if they're in the water for more than 4 or 5 minutes

Then its out, onto a piece of kitchen paper to dry and then under my UV light for a short time for that extra cure time

I wash the printer parts in the same tub of water then.

The water is double filtered to capture any resin residue onto paper filters ( I use coffee filters)

Last part is to pour the water into a recyclable paper/card old milk carton where it sits for a while so the last of any resin settles at the bottom

This then put into my recycling bin

Its much like the same filtering I do for my home made mead & wine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I use Anycubic water washable resin

All I do to clean my prints is to give them a swish wash in very warm soapy water

No scrubbing at all and they're lucky if they're in the water for more than 4 or 5 minutes

Then its out, onto a piece of kitchen paper to dry and then under my UV light for a short time for that extra cure time

I do have an Anycubic printer that uses water washable resin but I have recently bought another machine and this uses high speed resin which requires IPA to clean.  The high speed resin is really good, for example; the body of the Land Rover that I printed here, took 4 hours on the first printer, and only takes 28 minutes on the new.  As such, I need to get some IPA but am finding it quite expensive; hence my query about finding a cheaper, but workable, alternative.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

Another resin user told me he rinses his prints in cellulose thinners

Basic cheap cellulose thinners is about £8 per 5L at an independent car accessory shop, not Halfords

I use a lot of IPA but I'm lucky in that I have supplier in Belfast. £20 per 5L

But they don't send to GB

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

wash in very warm soapy water

I have not tried soap :) Maybe it is too obvious solution...

My IPA cost is 22 usd/gal  but I do not buy in bulk (just a gallon at a time). Bit expensive but bearable, with recycling process I use I get most of it back after printing. Makes me feel tiny but better about environmental side effects too.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Hi

You can use Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol) since it is much cheaper than IPA and easier to find (at least in my country). It is slightly "weaker" and you need to clean the print better, but it's worth it.

Also, it smells less bad.

Edited by chikavili
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 4:18 PM, bootneck said:

As the header say, are there any alternatives to IPA that can clean prints and cheaper in the marketplace?

How much do you pay for IPA? I buy it for less than 20 quid for 5 liters, I used to think that it is super cheap for a good quality chemical. 

I Use Metho (Methylated Spirit or denatured alcohol)  I buy it in 5L and 20L bottles from Bunnings here in Aus

best stuff for washing resin prints and it cheap.

Have used it on Siraytech, elegoo, anycubic, Monotech resins, it works on all of them.

good video here also 

• Like 1