Honda Engined Mini

Toftdale

Being of an age when shoving a Peco chromed big-bore exhaust under a Mini was almost de rigeur I can tell you that your mod looks exactly right.  The fabrication of the rollcage is a lovely bit of work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, klubman01 said:

I had them, and the seat extension, removed when my bodyshell was rebuilt.  I suggest you do likewise.

As I said in my post Trevor, they've long gone to recycling.... :)

Keith

• Haha 1

This is just amazing work! :worthy:

Thank you for pointing out those master cylinders. I have a DB-4 that could use them. Now I just need to find a proper motor, not that wonky frankenengine that has some good parts and some seriously bad parts.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the roll cage turned out to be a bigger challenge than I expected and involved an awful lot of reattaching parts as the various components just sprung apart ar any given moment!   However I've finally beaten it into submission 🤞.  Its not perfectly square, but you've got to really look to notice and I'm calling it done for the sake of my sanity 😀

The missing sections on the sides are going to be hidden in the rear side storage bins, so they won't notice once assembled.   Building it like this allows for the cage to be removed and therefore making assembling the interior easier. 

p?i=4e2c6e1bfdb74b1e055d1a477028d781

Installed onto the interior base, I've drilled holes in front of the bins which the cage only just passes through.

p?i=54395c8b1c36050194825901c0e09ab2

With the sides and dash temporarily in place.

p?i=e6db2b93d125c40005ebbb54abd47dcf

This is what you see on the finished car, hopefully a fairly convincing full cage.

p?i=b5158b051e22e3f4af3a7596c2703d56

Thanks for looking - Andy 

• Like 20

19 hours ago, Toftdale said:

hopefully a fairly convincing full cage.

Nah, it's hopeless....!! :giggle:

Actually it looks absolutely spot on!!:clap: Excellent cage that I think would likely meet FIA regulations for international competitions!

The only thing I'm wondering is how did you get the companion bin over the bottom door bar without a cut in the bin? Black magic....??!! :)

Keith

• Like 2

Thanks @Spiny, @Pete in Lincs, @Windy37 & @klubman01 for the comments they're much appreciated.   However as for......

On 13/01/2024 at 15:37, keefr22 said:

The only thing I'm wondering is how did you get the companion bin over the bottom door bar without a cut in the bin?

I've just had to learn to weld in 1/24 scale!😅😅.  After a few minutes on YouTube It transpires it much easier than in real life.  All you need is some masking tape, some putty (Ammo Medium Putty Surfacer in my case) and a scalpel blade.   Lay two pieces of tape parallel to each other put the putty in the gap, then use the blade to level the putty with the tape.  Once the putty has started to dry (but us still soft) remove the tape and then use the scalpel to put the weld marks in the putty.

p?i=01fe01b4f96c2bdaad0611bb26152de0

I actually quite enjoyed doing this (but don't tell Keith 🤫) - Andy 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

HI Andy, 

Really nice work on the roll cage, very clean!  The putty idea is really good.  I've often wondered how people make scale welds, and of the various approaches I've seen this one looks to be the most straight forward and predicable. 

Looking forward to your next update!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toftdale said:

I've just had to learn to weld in 1/24 scale!

:clap:

It would have been easier to say you'd done the welding and then dressed it back with an angle grinder....!! :wink: 🤣

• Haha 2

A 1/24th angle grinder?

As someone who has bought and tested a few roll cages, that looks well up to the job. The photo of the bare shell is like a CAD drawing from a manufacturer's website, and you can't say fairer than that. I presume you'll be painting it body coloured or white, as it'd be a shame to hide it away under a coat of stain black.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

As always progress is continuing at a snails pace, however its definitely going forward.   I bought some cobra classic racing seats from prettymessystudio.com and they suit the build perfectly.    I made the bases for the seats out of some scrap styrene and attached them to the seats with 5 minute epoxy.  They were designed so they would be easy to install after painting.  One question for the Mini aficionados,  do the racing harnesses attach to the horizontal bars in the rear section of the roll cage or elsewhere? 

p?i=e2b22a4accbdeedb3b1914eaece18bbd

The front arches are now on, which involved the nerve racking process of having to cut them in two so that the front can still be removed.   I also had to make a new bolt hole as without it there would have only been 1 one the rear section.

p?i=22b2b669665a9c54f709aa1e9b1cbbba

A steering wheel from the spares box is now installed, it obviously come from a race car as it have a built-in display,  which is ideal as it means I won't have to add any extra gauges.

p?i=47194957f9683538fe5db573a313ba56

Yet another mock up!

p?i=83b3d33a6b623e3357ee22bd4c60cb59

p?i=31376aff6392ac336519185041125245

But the best news is that the engine still fits

p?i=7be9c707174e89b5686358a55561419f

Thanks for popping by - Andy 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Toftdale said:

One question for the Mini aficionados,  do the racing harnesses attach to the horizontal bars in the rear section of the roll cage or elsewhere? 

They do on ours, but we installed an extra horizontal bar in order to do so as our cage is rather less impressive than yours! However, in a competition Mini they can be attached in a number of ways as long as they meet the requirements of Motorsport UK as laid out in the 'Blue book' - which is the regulatory 'bible' for UK (& some international) motorsport. E.g. you could attach them to eyelets in the rear floor provided strenghening plates are welded to the floor inside and out. But attaching them to a cage bar is generally accepted to be the safest way.

As always progress is continuing at a snails pace,

But it's really good progress however long it's taking....!!

prettymessystudio.com

Thanks (although the credit card may not think so!) for the heads up on them Andy, some good looking stuff there....!!

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

They do on ours, but we installed an extra horizontal bar in order to do so as our cage is rather less impressive than yours! However, in a competition Mini they can be attached in a number of ways as long as they meet the requirements of Motorsport UK as laid out in the 'Blue book' - which is the regulatory 'bible' for UK (& some international) motorsport. E.g. you could attach them to eyelets in the rear floor provided strenghening plates are welded to the floor inside and out. But attaching them to a cage bar is generally accepted to be the safest way.

On mine, the harnesses are anchored at the seat belt fixings at the base of the rear bulkhead.  Either way is fine, though.

Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks @dbostream, @dnl42 &, @Fnick for the kind words  as always there very much appreciated. 

Thanks @keefr22 &  @klubman01 thanks for the technically info.  Initially I thought I would attach the harnesses to the roll cage.   However if I attach them to the rear bulkhead I can sort the seats and harnesses before I install the rollcage. Decisions,   Decisions 🤔 - Andy 

• Like 1

Really impressive stuff.

On the subject of harnesses, on a build like yours which is unashamedly modern Mini, looping them over the harness bars is the way to go. Using eyebolts into reinforcement plates through the rear seat pan/floor is still acceptable for a road car but it's an old fashioned way to do it. The very old way was to install eye bolts on the rear parcel shelf but that's a very bad idea indeed.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got some paint done, I've obviously not started at the logical stage of the body, I felt the fire extinguisher was pressing 😁.  It came from the spares box, but I have no idea of its origins and as always the bits you won't really be able to see come out the best.  The replacement straps are 1/12 photoetch cable ties and the replacement top hand handles are bits of left over styrene.   Decals were downloaded from the Internet and resized accordingly 

p?i=4525e75e594a71b6b23f401a108016e8

The seats are now in and I've just got to muster up the courage to install the shoulder straps.  Whats not obvious in this photo I that I have removed the speakers from the rear shelf,  something that took a disproportionate amount of time due to the fact that however well I thought I filled and sanded the shelf flat everytime I primed the thing two circles kept reappearing again!!  The only other detail added at this time is the checker plate in the footwear, its primarily there to hide the moulded in rubber floor mat.  Using my lads 3d printer I made a female mould and the embossed the foil into it with a cocktail stick. 

p?i=b76b1d7d3923703cb6b647d2dce788c3

Thanks for looking - Andy 

• Like 13