***FINISHED*** 1/72nd ICM pair

12 hours ago, Klaasdebouwer said:

We scale modellers are the only people that use washes to make things look dirty. :lol: 

Well, to be fair, we do tend to clean up most of it afterwards. 

Great work again, as usual.

Why thank you good sir! One does ones best. 

Albeit, that Iraqi insignia looks a bit torn. (given your stash of decals, this would be an easy fix though. No need to start playing Natalie Imbruglia just yet.) 

Indeed. And that is why you never throw out unused decals.  :) 

Anyhoo - here is where we are today. I had hoped to get some airbrushing done, but SWMBO had other plans for my free time. Oh well. Did someone mention washes?: 

20231029-102308.jpg

Or masking tape?, this is the ICM PU, where I masked the dielectric areas and the metallic areas on the aft fuselage sides, the latter since received some metallic pigments: 

20231029-090851.jpg

Some pylons and landing gear bitss (very fiddly attachments on both the Condor and Old ICM main landing gear legs, though - I hope they will remain where they are) found their way on the kits as well, as some metallic pigments on the leading edges of the Zvezda MiG-31 horizontal tails: 

20231029-130245.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

Nice work.

One thing and I am a little too late and that is about the wing insignia of the Iraqi aircraft. They do not point straight forward, but are canted about 30 degrees outwards. This comes from the "Iraqi Fighters" book by Tom Cooper. It applies to both upper and lower insignia.

18 minutes ago, Jabba said:

One thing and I am a little too late and that is about the wing insignia of the Iraqi aircraft.

Thanks!, I have only applied one, let's see if a good soak will help. 

20 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Nice work

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andre

25 minutes ago, Hook said:

Thanks!, I have only applied one, let's see if a good soak will help.

Well, say this about New ICM decals - once they're stuck, they're stuck!

The triangle wouldn't budge, even after a 15 minute soak, but since I knew that the new knowledge would sooner or later bother me, I resorted to some light sanding to remove it. I need to touch up the light grey here and there on the models anyway.

Cheers,

Andre

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

canted about 30 degrees outwards.

Would I be just about correct when assuming the base of the triangle would align with the leading edge of the flaps? 

Cheers,

Andre

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

Seems the 1/72 ICM Fxbt can be built! Thanks!

Both of em!  ;)

I must say that even with its challenges I much prefer the 2018 tool to the 2013 one. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Once again the foul weather has thwarted my airpbrush plans last weekend (note to self: must ritually sacrifice Starfix kit to placate the Ancient Gods of Modeling). Even so, another minor update.

I have added almost all bits like landing gear bay covers, pylons, antennnae, AoA sensors etcetera. On the Old ICM PD/PDS (on the left - you can see where I sanded off the incorrectly angled Iraqi triangle) after a bit of drilling in the nose I fittted a spare plain pitot tube out of the New ICM PU kit - that one includes a sprue out of the new ICM PD kit with the pylons (which are required for the PU) and PD nose and pitot (which are not). The PU received the two windscreens, which required some refettling of the previously fitted glare shields to sit correctly. 

I also decided to do another round of filling on the various wing / fuselage gaps, as well as the seam between the two 'pits on the PU - they're bettter now than they were. I masked all the black anti glare panels as well, just in case the weather will permit me to do some airbrushing next weekend. After the black bits have been sprayed, I will paint the noses and assorted dielectric panels Gunship Gray, I will have to mask a few of the smallish rectangular ones of the Foxhound after I have laid down a decent coat of the light grey. 

Another family portrait: 

20231106-203554.jpg

Slowly (a bit ironic with these Mach 2.8 beasts) but steady wins the race! 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 5

Allright!, another weekend another update. It is still pouring outside, tomorrow will supposedly be dry. 

In the meantime, since I plan to do some spraying tomorrow I turned my attention to a few of the areas that I just know will start to annoy me if I ignore them. 

The first is the irritating seam between the upper and lower forward fuselage of the Zvezda MiG-31. This received a fresh bit of putty which is drying as we speak: 

20231111-115732.jpg

The second are some of the features on Iraqi Foxbats as pointed out by @exdraken, the RWR bumps around the intakes and the enlarged wing fences. The first bit was easy - just use some leftover bits from my ICM PU:

20231111-113742.jpg

(Cameras are merciless - I obviously need to do some more sanding on the upper fuselage join). 

Thaty leaves us with the enlarged wing fences. The eagle eyed among you may have spotted some RV MiG-23 chaff / flare dispensers in the lower right corner. These were too short for the Foxbat, however, so I sacrificed two out of four to please Ye Ancient Modeling Gods so I could combine them to get two of the correct length - original on the right, modded on the left: 

20231111-115506.jpg

Just a quick check without glue shows that they're about the right length and improve the look of things - I have removed the original fences with the aid of a scriber: 

20231111-115655.jpg

Some more work to do, but let's hope I can airbrush tomorrrow. Yay!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

I managed to find a gap in the rain clouds long enough to actually get some spraying done! 

20231112-124642.jpg

And there was much rejoicing. More posts to follow, for now family duty calls. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I had hoped for half an hour without rain today, but I officially gave up hope to get anything done this weekend after hastingly moving the spraying setup indoor again for the third time because of a fresh round of rain.

Bugger all this for a lark. 

Cheers,

Andre, frustrated

• Sad 2

Well hey nonny nonny!

With all thanks for the two week extension, I finally managed to do some spraying. Yestrday was already fully booked due to family activities, but today I managed to find a few hours to do a little airbrushing. It is just about 0 degrees Celsius out there, which brought its own challenges (not the least of which my fingers slowly going numb), but at last I got some work done. 

On all the kits I had to do some repairs to eiother the alllover light Soviet grey or the dark grey dielectric areas on the radomes and fin leading edges, which on the Foxhound required some aditionalsmaller square / rectangular bits arounbd the fuselage sides and vertical fins as well. 

So, for your enjoyment and perusal, all four now totally naked and bereft of any and all masking tape (ooh err missus!).

First, the best of the kits: the New Tool ICM MiG-25PU:

20231203-153900.jpg

Followed by the Old Tool ICM MiG-25PD:

20231203-154338.jpg

The even older Condor MiG-25P:

20231203-154126.jpg

And as tailend charlie, Zvezda's MiG-31: 

20231203-153825.jpg

I still have some small bits and bobs to add (seats, canopies, wheels, missiles - I also sprayed some white on those), and some weathering, but I'm nearing the - albeit slightly extended - finish line. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Jabba said:

All coming along very well.

Thanks! I just started a bit of weathering with some Ammo oilbrusher Warm Dirty Gray. 

It seemed appropiate.

Cheers,

Andre

9 hours ago, Klaasdebouwer said:

Starting to look very nice already. Suddenly the large radar noses of this MiG family start to stand out. Signs of the times. :coolio:

"Have I got a big nose, Mum?"

Yesterday evening was spent on the ICM PU. She received some weathering, wheels, afterburner nozzles, horizontal tails, registration numbers and the remaining Libyan roundels, and the first of many, MANY bits of stencilling. 

20231205-091126.jpg

20231205-091203.jpg

20231205-091149.jpg

She does look like a proper Cold War icon, doesn't she?

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3