***FINISHED*** 1/72nd ICM pair

On 9/2/2023 at 1:22 AM, trickyrich said:

Ok this STGB came up way quicker than I expected

Ain't that the truth! 

These will be my entries: 

20230902-182219.jpg

I hope to start soon after giving some much needed love to my somewhat-stalled-due-to-holidays-work-weatherNesher-T frankenbuild

Cheers.

Andre 

Edited by Hook
  • Like 7

Welcome along with a double and a double seater as well!

Both are great choices though I really do like the PU, it's not one you see being built very often. 

I think we will see quite a few of the ICM models, they sort of are now the benchmark in this and 1/48th, same goes for the MiG-31 as well. Nice models to build with nothing scary to catch you out.

Well good luck with the build, I look forward to seeing both of these being built.

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice selection Andre, I built the PU a couple of years ago when it didn't look like the GB was going to get enough votes, a great model of a wonderfully unique looking aircraft.

🇺🇦

oh ye of little faith.....well now you have an excuse to buy another one!!  :D

• Haha 2

What do you know - I actually got some work done on this today! Well hey nonny nonny. 

First, the ICM PD. The stock cockpit was a bit featureless and consists of a floor, two sidewalls / aft bulkhead halves, a front bulkhead, a flat instrument panel, a stick and a basic seat: 

20230903-135242.jpg

Luckily, Eduards 1/72nd MiG-21's are a veritable treasure chest of spare parts, especially in the ProfiPack editions. As I'm a modeller of the "Well, it might not be 100 % accurate, but at least will look better because it will be more detailed and none more inaccurate than what I started out with" school, after some quick work with the ol' X-Acto and some fettling of spare Eduard side consoles I ened up with this: 

20230903-140616.jpg

In addition, I added some sidewall detals as well: 

20230903-113754.jpg

In place, plus a comparision to the kit seat and a spare Eduard one: 

20230903-144142.jpg

The end result, after some quick airbrushing of that lovely relaxing shocking shade of turquoise (heym, the best Soviet scientists recommend it as the most relaxing shade there is! Don't we all feel relaxed already?) is the tub on the right - those among us who still have a modicum of eyesight may spot two Zvezda MiG-21MF offices (hey, I had the airbrush out anyway), as well as a Mystery Guest on the left (fear not brethren, all shall be revealed eventually), as well as two spare Eduard instrument panels (there's that "It'll do"school of modelling again!).  

20230903-180237.jpg 

So, a productive afternoon of airbrushing respectively Cockpit Puke Shade, Dark Aluminium, FS34092 for the insides of the burner cans and some Soviet AF Grey (all Vallejo air) in the back yard resulted in this:

ICM PD, with adapted pit and spare Eduard seat: 

20230903-182702.jpg

ICM PU: 

20230903-182823.jpg

"But wait!", I hear your collective cry - "What about that other 'pit?"

Well.... somehow, while I had the airbrush set up, some uninvited guests managed to cheekily sneak in: 

20230903-183059.jpg

Resulting in: 

Zvezda MiG-31: 

20230903-183013.jpg

and Condor MiG-25P, with similar cockpit embellishments as the ICM PD:

20230903-183913.jpg

Not a bad afternoon's work for my standards, I'd say. And now, if you'll excuse me, I earned that pint! 

Tomorrow after the paint has thorougly dried I will add some cockpit decals, and some washes to the landing gear bays, those on the ICM have some lovely details. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

and off to a nice start, you have been very busy......good to see some sneakiness creeping in! :thumbsup:

Who's "puke green" did you use, the Mr Color stuff? I've pretty well paint the same bits as you have (actually I had a big day on mine yesterday) still have to post photos.

For the Foxbats you're spoiled for choices I see.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, OscarIII said:

Four kits at the same time, at least for me that's really serious modelling for I normally work at glacial pace....

I'm the same!, but that's what's so great about group builds! It takes me a relatively short time to airbrush more kits with the same paints, it takes exactly the same amount of time and effort cleaning the ol' Harder & Steenbeck after spraying either one or multiple models. 

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

and off to a nice start, you have been very busy......good to see some sneakiness creeping in! :thumbsup:

Thanks! It was really a matter of "Well, since I have the paint loaded anyway, I just might as well...". Priority is still the initial pair, but who knows!

(actually I had a big day on mine yesterday) still have to post photos.

Who's "puke green" did you use,

Vallejo Air 71.331. Lovely, soothing and relaxing, isn't it? ;)

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Cheers,

Andre

Smallish update! - I put some decals and (oh, the irony!) Vallejo NATO Black on the pits: 

20230904-204150.jpg

I just put some random black bits on the Zvezda MiG-31 pit at top left, since not much will be seen with its (rather thick) canopy closed. Close enough for gov-, erm, Politburo work! 

While I was waiting for the decals to dry, why not give the Condor P some styrene love in the form of a Very Hi Tech plastic card bulkhead to help strenghten the main body box?:

20230904-204403.jpg

Why not indeed. Some heavy duty clamping: 

20230904-204717.jpg

Which got me this result: 

20230904-210102.jpg

Some small gaps around the aft end (fnaar, ooh err missus!), but nothing unexpected for a nearly 20 year old Ukrainian kit.

Just to give you an idea, this is what I'll be aiming for cockpitwise, roughly - the parts (apart from the nose gear bay) are not yet committed to glue, as I need to do some more fettling and trimming to make sure all parts, especially the instrument panel, fit well enough for me to be able to close up the forward fuselages, and I'll add masking tape seat belts, but you'll get the idea - this is the Condor MiG-25P but I'm at the same point for the ICM MiG-25PD: 

20230904-210450.jpg

Quite somewhat better than the rather barren stock parts, methinks.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee the cockpit looks nice!!!

Thanks! I always enjoy that kind of work - adapting spare parts from other kits and putting them to good use. 

At least your fuselage looks to go together a bit easier than mine!

I expect quite some more finagling with the two ICM's - more parts to line up! 

7 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Great work so far, and I can't believe you're taking on 4 kits at once! That's about a year's worth of building for me! 

I know the feeling! Luckily these will have relatively painfree camouflage schemes - allover grey with some masking for the dielectric areas and metallic aft ends.  

And I actually miss the fact that my -31M won't have the puke green in it! :)

I'm sure your aircrew will breathe a sigh of relief. :) 

Should I manage to finish the P as well, I'm tending towards  the Algerian markings on the Begemot sheet. Just to have a somewhat uncommonly represented air force in this group effort of ouyrs. 

Cheers,

Andre 

10 hours ago, Rob G said:

I rather like it, even if it is done with kindergarten paint. And ahh... if your vomit is that colour, you've got serious issues. :)

My girlfriend is of that opinion, yes. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Small update before I pop off to the cinema tonight - instrument panel decals applied to the MiG-25PU, and some Mig Jimenez Deep Grey panel line wash applied to the cockpits, wheel bays and intake roofs: 

20230906-200711.jpg

Fuselage bulkheads added to the ICM MiG-25PD lower main fuselage and wheel bays fitted to the vertical fuselage walls - instructions were not too clear, but I think they're all right: 

20230906-202733.jpg

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

Update du jour! - I had planned to do more, but I got home from work really knackered. 

I have given the Condor P her wings (not surprisingly, much gappage ensued, requiring lots of putty on the top and bottom of the wings and fuselage / vertical tail pieces which will in turn need some cleanup), and constructed the lower fuselage box of the ICM PD.  

20230907-204341.jpg 

Construction of the latter was somewhat involved, due to the fatal combination of 1) vague-ish instructions, 2) me being tired after an arduous day at the office and 3) my usual pigheaded stubbornness, but I managed to get a acceptable-ish result, methinks. I have more examples of the early ICM kit lurking in Thee Stash - for my future builds I will first construct the basic box and only then fit the MLG bays.  

Lessons learned, folks, lessons learned. 

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 4

Another smallish update!

Again, due to the ridiculously high temperatures I did not get enough sleep this week, which combined with a busy week at work resulted in a very, very lazy weekend. However, I did get something done today at least. 

20230909-195804.jpg

Clockwise from top left: 

- Condor MiG-25P:  putty cleaned up, forward fuselage assembled (some sink marks needed some Mr Surfacer, the instrument panel coaming was not fully formed so needed some putty to remedy the missing styrene) and mated to the main fuselage.

The bit to her left is a spare ICM early style parabrake housing, as appropiate for the P, which will need to be adapted to the aft fuselage of the Condor - the stock kit part is the later style bullet type of fairing. Of course, the parts demarcation is wildly different between the two kits - noone ever said Frankensteining kit parts was easy, hey, but that's half the fun.

- ICM MiG-25PU: I have begun assembling the aft 'pit. I also glued the nose gear strut to the nose gear door ceiling, both of which which I sprayed Dark Aluminium last weekend; however, only afterwards I noted that the instructions (and my references, natch) state that the nose gear leg is actually a light gray.

Some Masking Required, indeed! 

- ICM MiG-25PD: Main fuselage box completed, cockpit tub fitted to the port fuselage (the forward fuselage parts have not been glued together yet, since I still need to massage the Eduard MiG-21 instrument panel in position) and nose landing gear bay put together.

Remember those vague (at least to me - most likely it's my own stupidity) instructions of the ICM PD I mentioned earlier?, I have apparently made somewhat of a pig's ear out of the fitting of the front main fuselage bulkhead (#B15), because when test fitting the forward to the main fuselage I had gaps of a few mm. The issue appears to be that #B15 is both a bit too far forward and slanting at an angle, fouling the fit.

However, that's where power tools come in.  :) 

I've Dremeled down the bulkhead around the fuselage edges, which will hopefully result in a decent intake fit, and burred around the beveled ridge where the forward fuselage is to fit. It looks sorted now, but that will be a problem for another day. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

sounds like you've having lots of fun here! Nice to see everything is still progressing even with the heat....I can't wait for it to heat up down here!!!

Be careful what you wish for, it could be a long HOT summer ahead. I do though enjoy the milder temps & longer days of spring. except that the damn grass has taken into its head to grow like crazy, winter ain't all bad. :D 

Nice Migs there Andre, I don't have a 25 kit as yet, been telling myself I should remedy that for years. Maybe this thread can tip me over the edge. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

It's a lovely spring morning here but it's only 11C!!!!  I only start to function at +30C! :D Where I am in Sydney I expect we'll get plenty of +40C days this summer!

You do need to get one of these ICM MiG-25's, they are a nice model to build.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

sounds like you've having lots of fun here! Nice to see everything is still progressing even with the heat....I can't wait for it to heat up down here!!!

Everything in good measure, I'd say! - at the moment it is impossible for me to airbrush during the day, as the blazing heat leads to instant tip dry. 

At least the heat will be over in a day or two, it seems. 

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice Migs there Andre, I don't have a 25 kit as yet, been telling myself I should remedy that for years. Maybe this thread can tip me over the edge. :)

Come on, you know you want to.  :) They're big brutes of beasties, even in Gentlemen's Scale. 

They really are!

Do note that ICM has two distinct 1/72nd Foxbat toolings - the 2008 MiG-25PD and their more modular 2018 series, which has so far been released in a number of different recce, trainer, fighter and SEAD versions. 

The latter family is a somewhat more refined tool with much better detail and fit, but (as I hope to demonstrate here :) ) the earlier tool has its own merits

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

but it's only 11C

My comfort zone.

ICM, I was thinking Condor, did I ever say I was a tight fisted so & so of Scots descent. ;) :D

Steve.

• Haha 1