Ukraine MiG-25 RBT - Recon Foxbat - Completed

Ok this STGB came up way quicker than I expected, but the Turd is finished so there’s room for this build.

The model is ICM’s wonderful MiG-25 RBF, the main reason I bought it (it was some time ago) was for that crazy scheme on the box, bonkers and I love it...

IMG_5230-L.jpg

IMG_5984-L.jpg

..... and yes not to disappoint some or to cause worry about my mental health, there is some AM bits as well  :D  .....

.... some nice new cans, I did have some resin wheels for her, but I stole them for the M-G-25 PD. So I had to go shopping for more, well that’s my excuse!

IMG_5987-L.jpg

...and along the way these fell into the basket as well!  :whistle:

IMG_8296-L.jpg

Now these Reskit U/c bits.....WOW!!! They are so finely detailed and printed, they even have special instructions, 20+ steps on how to release them from their cages!

IMG_8298-L.jpg

IMG_8299-L.jpg

Finally, the scheme, well as much as I liked that crazy box art one I am now building on a theme so she will be a Ukraine bird. For this I’m using one of FoxBot’s wonderful decal sets. They give you a choice of RBF, RBS, and RBT versions. I’ll be building the RBT, the scheme of which is on the other side of this picture!

IMG_8294-L.jpg

Plus I’ll be using FoxBot’s stencils. 

When they were in the early designing phase of the Foxbat, they wanted to know what the secret was to producing the ultimate fighter/interceptor! At that stage it was the Phantom and thought the secret to its success was all the stencils on it, so they decided to go one better! Instead of the thousands of stencils as on the Phantom they put billions on the Foxbat!!!

IMG_8295-L.jpg

Oh dear....I’m going to be playing “Where’s Ivan” for the next year or so with these! The reason why I still haven’t finished the PD!! :think:

There should be a nice quick build, no nasty surprises with this model, plus I’m be fitting the new cans as I build the model, not right at the end as I did with the PD......and you there will be a thread for that one.

• Like 13

I was going back and forth for probably 1/2 hour between the RBT & PD (PDS).  In the end I landed w/ the PDS...so I'm glad to see you building this one.

I expect you to be in paint by the time I have the cockpit completed.  :shutup:

• Haha 2

• trickyrich changed the title to Ukraine MiG-25 RBT - Recon Foxbat

Ok time to kick this build into gear......and considering the progress so far it’s in top gear!!

Well in no particular order and definitely not following the instructions off we go.

Having built this one before it all came flooding back to me....and yes there are a wee bit of the build that may give you some grief.

So the tail fin assembly, that goes together nicely, though just be aware that the plastic used is quite soft plus it doesn’t like too much glue, especially that super fine Tamiya stuff......don’t ask how I know.

IMG_8360-L.jpg

The lower fine/strakes, this is a bit of a problem aera I found along with the leading edge of the wings. There is a slight shrinkage here and if not addressed it’ll give you issues with problem gaps to fill when glued.

IMG_8361-L.jpg

Some careful sanding is needed to correct.....

IMG_8362-L.jpg

....then some clamping and all will be good.

IMG_8363-L.jpg

Oh yeah, those photo's were taken in the morning sunshine......it's that glowing thing that pops up in the sky once or twice a year over there!!!! 🤣

IMG_8372-L.jpg

Same with the wings, once done they do go nicely together....

IMG_8373-L.jpg

....you even add the control surfaces and strakes now too.

IMG_8377-L.jpg

Now is also a good time to fit the intakes insides, I did find it easier to use the bulkhead make sure everything is lined up correctly, something I found was VERY important with this build.

IMG_8364-L.jpg

IMG_8365-L.jpg

The cockpit bits were assembled and painted along with intakes and wheel wells, main can be fitted and painted now too.

IMG_8370-L.jpg

IMG_8371-L.jpg

As the cockpit is really quite small no AM bits are required here (yes I know saying that is sacrilege), as just with some careful painting and using the supplied decals it can look really nice.......

IMG_8381-L.jpg

IMG_8382-L.jpg

........ok normal service has now been restored, just look at those 3D printed U/c legs!!!   🥰 The main have wire running through the centre of them.

IMG_8374-L.jpg

IMG_8375-L.jpg

Ok now down to the real work, for this I’d advise not to follow the instruction steps, only use to them to work out where everything goes.....plus please do lots of test fitting!!

With the cockpit wheel wells done I closed up the front fuselage, the rear cockpit bulkhead I found needed trimming for the 2 side to fit.....else I stuffed up earlier.

Once this is all dry I fitted the intakes, last time I followed the instructions and this is where it all started to fall apart. Where the intake attaches to the fuselage you really need to slightly open up the 4 vane grooves. This will allow the intake to fit snuggly again it and you will be able to line up the ends of the intake to that of the fuselage, VERY important (sorry I forgot to take photos of this). You can also add the end trunking to the intakes next as well.

IMG_8378-L.jpg

IMG_8379-L.jpg

IMG_8380-L.jpg

Once this is all dry you can fit the bulkhead, just slide it in close to the fuselage section. I found the last time that following the instruction I just couldn’t get them all to line up at all and had some bad gaps to correct.

IMG_8383-L.jpg

IMG_8385-L.jpg

Right now the fun bit, fitting the lower rear fuselage section....make sure all the glued bits are dry first!! Because of the way the intake goes together, which also includes using the inside the main wheel well for it, you just can’t side it in. As can be seen in the picture, that under cut part on the lower fuselage, fouls against the front section, and no that is as far back as it goes because of the way the intake s fit in the rear fuselage. Plus you have those 2 bits that slide into slots in the intakes. 

IMG_8386-L.jpg

The only way I could get it to eventually fit was brut force and lots of swearing........anyone listening would have call the cops from the way I was describing my frustrations!!

It did eventually go in and yes I did still have a gap but way smaller than the first time. Again make sure all the glue has completely dried!!!

IMG_8387-L.jpg

The gap on the top is better that I had the last time as well, same goes for the intake top panels.

IMG_8388-L.jpg

I reckon I must have had something not quite right early in the assembly process, not to worry it’s easy to fix.

Finally for now the nose, for this model the RBF, it came with the RBT nose extra which was nice. The RBT version has 4 cameras fitted as well as all the other antenna, so rather than just a flat black for them I opened the up and fitted tube inside. I’ll add a bit of detail to give the appearance of depth.

IMG_8390-L.jpg

IMG_8391-L.jpg

Well I did why more than I planned (about day and ½ worth), but it was SOOOoooooo nice to build something that goes together nicely! Ok the fuselage bit is a bit tricky, but nothing compared to the turds I have been building.

Because of the progress I can put this one aside for a wee bit and concentrate on the Skyhawk for a while.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• trickyrich changed the title to Ukraine MiG-25 RBT - Recon Foxbat - started...and that's an understatement!!!

Wow... That is amazing work so far, and you're flying as well!

My Resin Cans have very similar complex instructions for removing all the resin supports from them. What did you use to cut away the resin supports from the undercarriage?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Wow... That is amazing work so far, and you're flying as well!

My Resin Cans have very similar complex instructions for removing all the resin supports from them. What did you use to cut away the resin supports from the undercarriage?

I used either a CMK resin saw or a pair of super fine wire cutters, those Japanese ones for plastic. Anything else and some of those super fine details would have been damaged.

30 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I used either a CMK resin saw or a pair of super fine wire cutters, those Japanese ones for plastic. Anything else and some of those super fine details would have been damaged.

Thanks for your reply, I'm gonna need something similar, the afterburner rings are so fragile and are practically encased in resin!

Excellent work Rich, for a big model it goes together very quickly doesn't it.

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Oh yeah, those photo's were taken in the morning sunshine......it's that glowing thing that pops up in the sky once or twice a year over there!!!!

Cheeky sod! Its been hot and sunny here for the past 4 days and set to continue for about another week.:tease:

🇺🇦

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Rich, for a big model it goes together very quickly doesn't it.

Cheeky sod! Its been hot and sunny here for the past 4 days and set to continue for about another week.:tease:

🇺🇦

what....did it get to a balmy 70 F!!!    🤣

18 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks for your reply, I'm gonna need something similar, the afterburner rings are so fragile and are practically encased in resin!

yeah a good resin razor saw is a must for those, the CMK ones are very nice...if a wee bit pricy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, OscarIII said:

Really fast progress and i'm curious what the camo will look like in the end.

😎👍

Maybe I should geht one of those beasts, looks like fun to build.

Cheers

Alex

this one will be in the boring old grey scheme. Originally  I was going to do her in that crazy camo scheme......but as things have turned out I want to do her in the Ukraine scheme. Maybe one day I'll do the camo one.

• Like 5

On 9/10/2023 at 1:30 PM, trickyrich said:

this one will be in the boring old grey scheme. Originally  I was going to do her in that crazy camo scheme......but as things have turned out I want to do her in the Ukraine scheme. Maybe one day I'll do the camo one.

ace progress rich and good choice with the ukraine version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

ok, just a wee update.....through sheer insanity I have moved this build aside for a short time while I build a Kitty hawk MH-60R Seahawk......and yes I do need professional help!!

But I should have this build completed very shortly, she's pretty well finished paint wise, just some tiny touchups and clear coats needed..........what an absolute pile of :poop:...not helped at all by instruction done by a blind person!

I may sneak a photo in later.......

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

ok I haven't forgotten about this build at all.....infact I have almost painted her........as in almost as I ran out of paint while painting. She's a big sucker and takes a lot to cover her.

Will try and have a full update on her this afternoon, or tomorrow.

Today is our annual club competition, have 10 entries, not sure how I'll go.

Oh year, those 3D printed U/c legs....look awesome...but right pain to fit and are quite fragile......how do I know...well broken one already.   Unless you're after a museum grade model, then I don't think they are worth the hassle, with this model anyway!

• Like 3

WOW!!! I just looked and noticed I haven’t updated this thread since September!!!!

Off to the naughty corner for me!  So many things outside of building models has really hampered any modelling work let alone keeping track of everyone’s builds....my apologises for that.  :(

Ok lots to report here and it should be the last update as well......even though our glorious master has given us 2 extra week for this STGB.

OK, the 3D printed undercarriage, there has been interest in this, and.......... looks awesome, pain to fit, a bit fragile, and really not worth the extra money unless you want a museum piece model. I know it’s fragile as I’ve already broken mine (it even has metal inside the main legs), the material is too brittle I think.

IMG_8395-L.jpg

Here it is beside the kit one in the PD.

IMG_8396-L.jpg

IMG_8397-L.jpg

The nose was fitted, needed a wee bit of work to fit nicely.

IMG_8401-L.jpg

IMG_8402-L.jpg

Surprisingly I didn’t need too much filler for the fuselage joins.

The tail units fitted ok, again they needed a wee bit of persuasion to get nice joins.

IMG_8400-L.jpg

I did however have some issues with the side panels, I must have had some earlier fuselage bit not exactly lined up (this model does punish you for that) and also no helped by the new U/c. some medieval bondage was required to sort it out, in the end just a touch of filler was required.

IMG_8869-L.jpg

The wings went on quite nicely with just a wee touch of filler required.

IMG_8868-L.jpg

IMG_8870-L.jpg

The replacement cans needed quite a bit of “adjusting” to fit nicely, which resulted in the nice paint work suffering, though not as much as dropping one on the floor!!! Super glue was required to fit that one.

IMG_8398-L.jpg

IMG_8872-L.jpg

IMG_8871-L.jpg

They are different to the MiG-25PD ones.

IMG_8399-L.jpg

Just some minor tiding up and it was painting time......which took 2 weekends to do because I ran out of paint halfway through! :doh:

I used AK Real Color MiG-25/31 Grey, which when thinned right down just goes on perfectly, super happy with the finish, I even got a nice gloss clear coat as well.

IMG_8877-L.jpg

IMG_8878-L.jpg

IMG_8879-L.jpg

IMG_8880-L.jpg

IMG_8881-L.jpg

That’ll do for this update, since then I have painted the metallic areas with AK’s Extreme Metal paint. I have used it before but found you cannot mask over it, the glue on the masking tape reacts nastily with it. This time I just masked the edges and carefully sprayed different coats over each other....actually looks nice.

Plus I started decaling, the main decals are on but I still need to wait for the Extreme Metal paint to cure properly before I can handle it (it’s enamel based).

While I was waiting I started doing the stencil decals on the MiG-25PD....after 3 hours I’m just ¼ way though!!! Playing “Where’s Wally” with the decals is a right pain!!!! 

• Like 5

• trickyrich changed the title to Ukraine MiG-25 RBT - Recon Foxbat - finally an update and it is the last!
12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Plus I started decaling, the main decals are on but I still need to wait for the Extreme Metal paint to cure properly before I can handle it (it’s enamel based).

While I was waiting I started doing the stencil decals on the MiG-25PD....after 3 hours I’m just ¼ way though!!! Playing “Where’s Wally” with the decals is a right pain!!!! 

Very nice work on the build. I know that the stencil dcals are a pain on the 1/72nd kit (gave up looking for many after several hours scouring the decal sheet and instructions), so I guess that there are even more in 1/48th.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

.....and finally she’s done!!!! I have to admit I gave up on the decals about ¾ of the way through doing the sides, as to the one underneath.....well lets just say no ones going to look there!!!  :whistle:

It’s now the second time I’ve used AK’s Extreme Metals paint, and wow it is amazing!  Still an absolute pain the use, being enamel base it takes forever to dry, it doesn’t like any masking tape on it, and I’m sure there is something else that is painful about it, but it does look pretty awesome.

IMG_8913-L.jpg

The PD was done using Master Model Metallics & Alclad.

IMG_8911-L.jpg

IMG_8912-L.jpg

..and that’s it, she’s finally done.....it would have been completed earlier but Saturday it got to 112°F (we’ve had 2 more days since over 100°F), not the best weather for painting lacquers!!!

Anyway here she is, and she’s my last GB/STGB of the year! :yahoo:

Additional photos will be in the RFI section.

IMG_8914-XL.jpg

IMG_8916-XL.jpg

IMG_8920-XL.jpg

IMG_8921-XL.jpg

IMG_8923-XL.jpg

IMG_8925-XL.jpg

IMG_8940-XL.jpg

IMG_8941-XL.jpg

...and finally with her siblings.

IMG_8942-XL.jpg

IMG_8944-XL.jpg

• Like 6