Classic Airfix (Roy Cross memorial) GB Chat

3 hours ago, Ned said:

I don't normally buy kits with no intention of building them, but these sit on a shelf and cheer me up when I glance at them while working

Ain't that a nice piece of writing. I’m sure you’re not the only one guilty of this practice and for the record, Type 4 boxes are my favourite too, although Type 5’s and that era of mid 70’s kit design still get me all excited. 

Cheers and enjoy the GB.. Dave 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Ned said:

just kicked me right back to the shelves of Ellis Briggs in Shipley in the 1970s.

I know that feeling! Same era, but in Taunton we had a musty little shop run by one J C Kingston :) Lots of the boxes were pre-faded, if you get my drift :D but I'd spend ages with my pocket money burning a hole, just trying to decide which one to buy next.

I've started a similar nostalgia stash, kits that really mean something. Mine is mostly Matchbox at the moment but im starting collecting the "important" Airfix kits now.

Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle, I'll be building the Devastator in this GB. I recently picked up a decent 1973 boxing - I'll keep the box until I find a "better" one 😆

11 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

That’s interesting that you’re ’locked in’ to the Type 4A packaging - I’m the same for the Type 3 ‘red stripe’ boxings.

I tend to gravitate to the Type 4 boxes as they were the predominant style during my childhood. Funny how the mind plays its own games :)

12 hours ago, Ned said:

these sit on a shelf and cheer me up when I glance at them while working.

Yep - just a quick glance brings back a flood of happy memories :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ain't that a nice piece of writing. I’m sure you’re not the only one guilty of this practice and for the record, Type 4 boxes are my favourite too, although Type 5’s and that era of mid 70’s kit design still get me all excited. 

I completely agree, Dave!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

To be a true nostalgia trip, the ones that ring a bell with me I'd have to build without painting, with the transfers just applied to the bare plastic..

As I'm a bit rubbish at painting and enjoy far more the build part, that might just be an interesting plan 😉

The stuff I remember best were the 60s period, 2 bob bagged, or boxed with the red stripe.. 

• Like 5

Having not had enough misery with my current Vulcan build I saw a cheap airfix Vulcan on eBay last night and wondered if it was eligible, glad I checked as it isn’t which surprised me, definitional of a classic airfix kit 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

definitional of a classic airfix kit 

That's the cue for the discussion of which Airfix Classics have stood the test of time?

Straight off, because they were adventurous some of them are still the only one in class as it were. I'll freely admit they're the ones I go after.

For many kits, I can't cope with all the P/E detailing etc. so I enjoy the simplicity of a Classic. But is the Airfix Classics repos pure nostalgia or are some of them worthy of a re-issue?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mjwomack said:

That's the cue for the discussion of which Airfix Classics have stood the test of time?

Straight off, because they were adventurous some of them are still the only one in class as it were. I'll freely admit they're the ones I go after.

For many kits, I can't cope with all the P/E detailing etc. so I enjoy the simplicity of a Classic. But is the Airfix Classics repos pure nostalgia or are some of them worthy of a re-issue?

Depends what defines worthy? 

I'd say if a kit goes together reasonably well and makes a nice model that "looks the part" I'd say that's well worthy. If all that matters is microscopic total accuracy and finest fine detail, then that's another thing altogether.

Personally I'd love to see some of the old airfix stuff that's unobtainable re released on the "it is what it is" basis 😁

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

How about the small scale Golden Hind with the seascape base? If I saw one of them for sale, I would not be responsible for my actions! Not sure if any of the other small scale ships such as Revenge or Santa Maria also came with a sea base. My Dad built that Golden Hind and as a 10 year old, I remember marvelling at the white crests on the painted green waves! I remember looking for it at home years later but it was gone!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Difficult question to answer as each of us will have a different view of what features of a kit would make it worth releasing today.

Just to mention one aspect, the vast majority of classic Airfix aircraft kit would feature raised panel lines that today nobody offers anymore. The fit level of a classic Airfix kit will also likely not be on par with what certain manufacturers today achieve on their kits.

Once a modeller has this in mind, I believe however that there are a few kits that can still be very valid today, even if the competition may offer better alternatives.

Just thinking of kits I have built, two immediately come to my mind: the F-80 and the F-15. The F-80 was recently re-released in the classic range and it's a lovely little kit, with a level of detail that is very good for its age and is still today better than many other mainstream kits. The F-15 is clearly surpassed by other much more modern and sophisticated kits but I feel that it's still a nice kit and once rescribed it would look better than others. Can' compete with say the Fine Molds or GWH kit or not even the Hasegawa one but it's IMHO better than the Italeri and Hobbyboss kits.

To mention another US postwar type, the S-3 is also a very nice kit, it would be better if the various moving surfaces would have been represented with scribed lines though...

Last that comes to my mind, but definitely not least, a strong favourite with many, that is the 1/72 Mosquito (the '70s one). Not particularly detailed but I still find it a decent kit today.

Then there are all those subjects for which nothing better has been released since, at least not in mainstream injected plastic form. It's Airfix or nothing for them, although in fairness the number of these is getting lower and lower

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

but in Taunton we had a musty little shop run by one J C Kingston

I remember that shop I brought built and trashed plenty of kits from there lots of fond memories 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

How about the small scale Golden Hind with the seascape base?

I think it's the more obscure ones that have most likely stood the test of time better. Plus being obscure reduces the competition- I think some of the sports cars can hold their own.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

The fit level of a classic Airfix kit will also likely not be on par with what certain manufacturers today achieve on their kits.

There again🫣 Some of them fit better than short run kits of today!!! But you make a good point.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

it would be better if the various moving surfaces would have been represented with scribed lines though...

Even as a little one, I felt that the numerous moving parts, gave them a toy like feel and at the arrogant age I was a serious modeller (I told myself).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airfixpeter said:

I remember that shop I brought built and trashed plenty of kits from there lots of fond memories 

It was on the Bridge beside Debenhams :) I can still remember the racks of Humbrol and Airfix enamels right beside the counter, which was always piled high with magazines! Mr Kingston moved to a different shop on Bridge Street later on, didn't he? 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Mr Kingston moved to a different shop on Bridge Street later on, didn't he? 

Yes he did indeed sometime in late 80s I think because I live in Devon at the time and made a trip to Taunton 

Looking at street view was at number 42 or there abouts 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

There again🫣 Some of them fit better than short run kits of today!!! But you make a good point.

True but short run kits are afterall aimed at more experienced modellers so a less than perfect fit can be expected. Of course when compared to the short run kits of the '80s even the worst Airfix kit would be miles better in term of fit, not to mention that earlier the equivalent of short-runs would have been vacuforms, where fit is an even more variable thing... Said that, even modern mainstream kits can suffer from bad fit so really if the subject is of interest there's a good chance we modellers will buy it anyway.

We should also keep in mind how the fit of a certain kit would have been like when the mould was new compared to how it was after a couple decades or more into production. That brings me to one of the dilemmas of classic kits: better buy a more recent issue or an older one ? Regardless of the collectability, an older issue is likely to fit better while a more recent issue may suffer from wear of the mould. On the other hand a more recent kit may have useable decals while the same in an older issue may have yellowed or even be totally useless. Personally if I can find aftermarket or replacement decals I'd prefer an older issue. That however may end up being more expensive because of its value on the collector market. Fortunately things like a damaged box or missing instructions would bring the value and hence the price down by a good margin. Bad for a collector but great for a modeller like me.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

I agree, the Blenheim was/is a great favourite of mine too. That’s interesting that you’re ’locked in’ to the Type 4A packaging - I’m the same for the Type 3 ‘red stripe’ boxings. The FW-189 is not often seen built so there’s another one….

I prefer the red stripe ones tbh, I like that the art extends onto the box sides, but it's the 4A that I remember the most. I also quite like that they were only used for Series 2 kits, so I can keep it under control even though there are larger kits that I'd love to buy.

• Like 2

On 03/06/2024 at 20:37, Ned said:

I don't normally buy kits with no intention of building them, but these sit on a shelf and cheer me up when I glance at them while working.

I'm sure quite a few of us are in the same boat.  I always intend to build kit but even so, looking at The Stash gives me an enormous sense of well being.  :lol: 

• Like 5

On 5/29/2024 at 10:45 PM, Pig of the Week said:

Your dad would've had to win on Vernon's pools to "get them all yet" that's a lot of kits.. 

I'd forgotten about the big scale historical figures, I believe I had the black Prince come to think of it. 

That list appears to be from late 1963 as it includes the Starfighter but not the Liberator which was the "Christmas kit" that year. At the time prices were 2/- for Series 1, 3/- for Series 2, 4/6 for Series 3, 6/- for Series 4, 7/6 for Series 5, 12/6 for Series 6, 3/6 for Series A and 4/6 for Series B. Adding them all up comes to £25 18/6, which would have been a fair amount of money in 1963.

• Like 6

I have a soft spot for the Type 4 boxes too, but what's your favourite Series 1 packaging? For me it has to be the blister packs. I had a few kits in bags with Type 3 headers too, and maybe some of the even earlier ones, but my fondest memories are those blister packs -  an absolutely inspired idea and I still love them. 🙂

• Like 6

I bought the Coldstream Guardsman of 1815 but was disappointed to find he could only be built in a guarding position and not an action pose as depicted on the header card

Coldstream%20Guard,%20blister,%2001-L.jp

My picture

• Like 6

How do the Airfix Railway kits fit in?

Most were once owned by Kitmaster then they were sold to Dapol

Does the kit have to be in an Airfix box?

Prairie%20Tank%20Loco,%2001-L.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

How do the Airfix Railway kits fit in?

Most were once owned by Kitmaster then they were sold to Dapol

Does the kit have to be in an Airfix box?

Prairie%20Tank%20Loco,%2001-L.jpg

The kit doesn't have to be in an Airfix box. 

The criterion is simply that a version of the kit must have featured in an Airfix Catalogue up to, and including, 1980.

Later boxings, and boxings by others, are permissible.

I'll update the Rules to make this clear 👍

Cheers

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

That list appears to be from late 1963

Intriguing because it's in a box for a kit first issued in 1967, so either Packer 4 was very slow and had a backlog of slips, or (and I suspect more likely) someone slipped bits into the boxes when there were in storage.

As long as they haven't taken anything out I won't have a problem

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Intriguing because it's in a box for a kit first issued in 1967, so either Packer 4 was very slow and had a backlog of slips, or (and I suspect more likely) someone slipped bits into the boxes when there were in storage.

As long as they haven't taken anything out I won't have a problem

I think Airfix either printed up a ton of those slips or kept the same design for a few years, as I've found them in kits that were issued up to 1968, including sealed bags. There wasn't really room on the slip to add any more kits to it, after all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2024 at 9:24 AM, Pig of the Week said:

To be a true nostalgia trip, the ones that ring a bell with me I'd have to build without painting, with the transfers just applied to the bare plastic..

As I'm a bit rubbish at painting and enjoy far more the build part, that might just be an interesting plan 😉

The stuff I remember best were the 60s period, 2 bob bagged, or boxed with the red stripe.. 

Unpainted kits can look just fine. The prop blades and tyres have seen a paintbrush, but the rest of this airliner is bare plastic

IMG-20230609-104856.jpg

Young builders back in the day would max out their pocket money on the kit size, the painting aspect came into it but wasn't a priority.

Years later Matchbox took things in hand for their customers and issued their kits in multi coloured plastic. 

• Like 10