Boeing 314 Clipper 1/144 scale after-market adds.

DouglasDakota

Hi all, new on the forum here. I have an old Airfix Boeing Clipper in the stash. Does anyone know of after-market decals of letter/number sheets in the right font, that I could make up a different serial number for my build? I could use the kit decals for the "NC186" prefix, so just need to be able to make up "01" to " 06" suffixes.

Also, does anyone know of suitable figures in right scale to act as passengers in a diorama?

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, DouglasDakota said:

Hi all, new on the forum here. I have an old Airfix Boeing Clipper in the stash. Does anyone know of after-market decals of letter/number sheets in the right font, that I could make up a different serial number for my build? I could use the kit decals for the "NC186" prefix, so just need to be able to make up "01" to " 06" suffixes.

Also, does anyone know of suitable figures in right scale to act as passengers in a diorama?

Thanks in advance.

Font is known, size is known, the decals could be easily printed. 

1/144 Boarding passengers:
https://www.rocastmodels.com/store/index.php?id_product=197&controller=product

On 24/08/2023 at 22:25, Pin said:

Font is known, size is known, the decals could be easily printed. 

1/144 Boarding passengers:
https://www.rocastmodels.com/store/index.php?id_product=197&controller=product

Thanks for this comment, Pin.  I've no experience of printing my own decals.  How do I set about it if I do not have a complete character set in the desired font?  Are there places where I can search to identify the font and get the missing characters (numbers in my case) from there?  TIA

On 8/24/2023 at 11:23 PM, DouglasDakota said:

Airfix decals are for NC18605 Dixi Clipper and G-AGCA Berwick: 

1424_1_afx04172_1.jpg

The other PAN Am Clippers were as you said registered as N18601...06, N18609, N186011 and 012. If you get extra decals from someone who build Berwick you can do very easy NC18601 Honolulu Clipper, ....606 American Clipper, ...609 Pacific Clipper and with two spare decals you may do ....611 Anzac Clipper. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_314_Clipper) , With some effort you can do 3 out of 8 so you can do also ...603 Yankee Clipper. The 4 and 2 are available if you lucky enough to find it among other spare decals. By the way - Techmod does the US Letters and Numbers fonts in different sizes, so maybe this could be a source?

4151_rd.jpg

The individual name is a different story...

Regards

J-W

On 8/27/2023 at 5:30 PM, DouglasDakota said:

I've no experience of printing my own decals. 

It's really easy, if you have access to a laser printer. You just need some water slide decal paper sheets (I usually use Mr. Decal Paper, but there are others out there as well), and simply print it on it. Maybe fiddle a it with the printer settings, but I usually just set it to some "Glossy Paper" and it's fine. Some printers have strange fit-to-size settings, so I'd give it a try on normal paper before, and tinker with the printer drivers options, but it's really easy. Period! 😉 

For a few numbers I can see you don't want to invest in a full set of sheets, usually they come in stes of five. It's not expensive, though. If youre not in a hurry I plan to print something on my own, and could print some for you as well.

On 29/08/2023 at 19:55, JWM said:

Airfix decals are for NC18605 Dixi Clipper and G-AGCA Berwick: 

1424_1_afx04172_1.jpg

The other PAN Am Clippers were as you said registered as N18601...06, N18609, N186011 and 012. If you get extra decals from someone who build Berwick you can do very easy NC18601 Honolulu Clipper, ....606 American Clipper, ...609 Pacific Clipper and with two spare decals you may do ....611 Anzac Clipper. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_314_Clipper) , With some effort you can do 3 out of 8 so you can do also ...603 Yankee Clipper. The 4 and 2 are available if you lucky enough to find it among other spare decals. By the way - Techmod does the US Letters and Numbers fonts in different sizes, so maybe this could be a source?

4151_rd.jpg

The individual name is a different story...

Regards

J-W

Thanks, J-W.  I haven't fixed exactly which one I want to do yet, but am inclined to try '03 which I think was the first trans-Atlantic type, or '09 which was the one which circumnavigated the world after Pearl Harbor.  The Techmod decals look promising.  Many thanks.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 21:11, Chief Cohiba said:

It's really easy, if you have access to a laser printer. You just need some water slide decal paper sheets (I usually use Mr. Decal Paper, but there are others out there as well), and simply print it on it. Maybe fiddle a it with the printer settings, but I usually just set it to some "Glossy Paper" and it's fine. Some printers have strange fit-to-size settings, so I'd give it a try on normal paper before, and tinker with the printer drivers options, but it's really easy. Period! 😉 

For a few numbers I can see you don't want to invest in a full set of sheets, usually they come in stes of five. It's not expensive, though. If youre not in a hurry I plan to print something on my own, and could print some for you as well.

Hi Chief - the only laser printer which I have is B&W, which would be OK for this set.  Does it work with a colour laser as well? - I'd have thought that maybe the toner was too granular to get the right appearance?  This is a brave new world for me - do you know if there is more discussion of this aspect on another forum on this site?  Thanks.

The colour is very transparent so the colour printed decals need to go on a white surface.

I bought a set of laser printed decals for a DH Comet 1 that I used on the silver painted plane as I thought that silver would be light enough for this but the blue decal came out as metallic blue.

• Like 1

You can get Inkjet waterslide decal paper too both clear and white.  

When I print up Serials or codes in black I usually use clear with the black in bold.  Set printer for gloss paper, print quality to best.

For colour stripes etc I would print on white paper to get better colour, again gloss paper and best quality out put.

Inkjet ink isn’t waterproof though so will need sealing with varnish or lacquer (Halfords) before going into the water bath.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 4:06 PM, DouglasDakota said:

Does it work with a colour laser as well?

Yes, sure. I have a quite regular Laser Printer and printed some colour crest or the like as well.

ONly thing that has to be considered; the decal paper comes in white or transparent, so white has to be cut out, while on transparent film you can easily leave the usual film around. For light decals over a dark model you need white, though.

White lettering on a dark model is an issue with self printed decals, though.

• 1 month later...

Just checked the Minicraft presidential gift set to see if they had different reg numbers but it's just NC18605 same as Airfix.

Paul Harrison

On 24/10/2023 at 13:21, GreenDragon said:

Just checked the Minicraft presidential gift set to see if they had different reg numbers but it's just NC18605 same as Airfix.

Paul Harrison

Interesting thought - I had no idea there was another version on the market. Thanks for trying.

I remember exchanging observations with another BMer who had one of these - it was particularly with regard to the walkway black lines along the roof and over the wings. 

His decal sheet supplied these, but I had to make my own (with a mixture of border lines from Airfix decal sheets and drawn lines in waterproof liner pen) 

So there's definitely different sheets with different boxings. I couldn't say if reg numbers were different between sheets though. 

On 30/10/2023 at 19:12, rob Lyttle said:

I remember exchanging observations with another BMer who had one of these - it was particularly with regard to the walkway black lines along the roof and over the wings. 

His decal sheet supplied these, but I had to make my own (with a mixture of border lines from Airfix decal sheets and drawn lines in waterproof liner pen) 

So there's definitely different sheets with different boxings. I couldn't say if reg numbers were different between sheets though. 

If it was still the Airfix kit but a reissue/rebox, I suspect that the main markings would be unchanged, and the only difference in the decal sheet would be smaller items like stencil marking or similar. But I'm beginning to warm to the idea of making my own masks for the different serial numbers.

1 hour ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Airfix have never supplied the walkway markings

I see Minicraft have done a makeover and a reissue..... I wonder if their decal sheet included the walkways?

Apparently their product has been de-riveted somewhat 

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

I see Minicraft have done a makeover and a reissue..... I wonder if their decal sheet included the walkways?

Apparently their product has been de-riveted somewhat 

I don't recall Minicraft doing the walkways. The Airfix kit doesn't have rivets - it has raised panel lines which was accurate as they are welds. Saved weight and kept the sea water out. Also note they were only BMF for a short time, being repainted a pale silver on acceptance - again to protect the metal.

The Airfix is a fine kit. You can omit the windows and just use Krystal Klear after painting. At 1/144 all the windows are small enough for this.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. It may be an impossible project, but I have been toying with the idea of mounting the model in a frame, with only stub wings and the port side cut away. I visited the Foynes museum replica and find the interior layout fascinating. But in 1/144 scale the challenge is intimidating.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2023 at 22:18, DouglasDakota said:

Thanks for the comments. It may be an impossible project, but I have been toying with the idea of mounting the model in a frame, with only stub wings and the port side cut away. I visited the Foynes museum replica and find the interior layout fascinating. But in 1/144 scale the challenge is intimidating.

Lovely idea - I guess you've seen some of the online cut-away images. Gets my vote!

3 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Lovely idea - I guess you've seen some of the online cut-away images. Gets my vote!

Yes, I've seen some other museum pieces, but considerably bigger than 1/144!  I also love Ken Follett's novel "Night over Water" where some of the action is on board a trans-Atlantic Clipper.

• Like 1