Oh Emil! Was that wise? Probably not but one has to Starter Set somewhere.

Zephyr91

Hi, people.  This looks fun, but having never done a GB before and only just found out what a Blitzbuild is, I reckon disaster could well be the outcome here  :rofl:

But no matter. I have lots of enthusiasm if not any actual expeience of this type of pressure but lets have a go. 

This is my chosen subject, for which I only paid around £6 a short while ago in a local sale.

spacer.png

I don't think I'll be making use of the bits above the art work but they are there as fall-back I suppose.

Just to add some extra pressure, I have to finish by end of Sunday as we are off on holiday for a few days on Monday morning!  :mental:

I have seen Adrian's @AdrianMF build of this so have been making notes.  I have to have someone to blame ....... :winkgrin:

I suspect it will all end badly.    The family are taking bets as to whether me or the model will have acquired more paint and/or glue by the end!  :rofl2:

See you all Saturday.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Oi! It's a really nice kit. And the Airfix brushes aren't bad at all.

Come to think of it, it would make a good challenge to build it using the glue and paint provided :wicked:

It's actually quite fun doing a Blitzbuild. Good luck!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Come to think of it, it would make a good challenge to build it using the glue and paint provided :wicked:

Sorry Adrian, I didn't mean anything by it really.   In fact it was your thread that partly inspired me to have a go.  

Regarding the extras, it might be a challenge for you, but well nigh impossible for some of us!  I will definitely make useof the glue and brush in time so not all wasted.  But the paints?  I seem to suffer from gloopy paint experiences, so I don't really want to undergo any more thankyou.  And these do look gloopy ........ :yikes:

I'll just see what I can do and hopefully add a giggle or 2 to proceedings.

cheers

Rob

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Rob, welcome to the Blitz Build section. This is where the people who have fallen through the cracks end up 🙂 

Slightly crazy and willing to try anything. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but it's great fun and I'm sure you'll be back. 

Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rob

Great to have you with us :like:

Be warned once you join the Group Build Clan, it has an alarming tendency to increase the size of the stash, to suit the upcoming GB subjects.

Embrace the madness mate you are very welcome :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Good morning.  Just signing in after some very soggy weather overnight.  In fact I thought it had been arranged by Enzo @Enzo the Magnificent to signal the start of the build as there was significant lightning around midnight..   Now that's impressive!! :yahoo:

spacer.png

Anyway, my clock for tracking progress (should there actually be anything other than waffle (did someone mention breakfast? yes please!:like:)) is based around a spreadsheet and a small creature (holding the clock) that looks a bit like a pink sibling of Pikachu.

Better get a wriggle on, I've just noticed how many tiny tiny tiny parts there are to remove from the sprue.  :yikes:    I thought this was supposed to be a "Starter Set"  :shrug: ......

More later, hopefully

Have a great blitzing day everyone  (No, no, I actually meant that. It wasn't a swear substitute! )

Rob

• Like 8

spacer.pngFirst Break. 

Where has the time gone????????   :frantic::frantic:

The delicacy of all those small bits requires intense concentration if one is not to destroy them when cutting them off the sprue.  Clippers no good.  Had to put new blades into the craft knives (different sizes).   !!  

This might be a Starter Set but I wouldn't want to recommend this for kids who are just wanting to bash something together.  Lovely kit, but woooh, those tiny details. 

Proper pics later ....

cheers  (yes I'll need a beer by lunchtime!)

Rob

• Like 2

Ohhh.  No time for beer, but have stopped for lunch - brie and gherkins on toast! 😋

spacer.png

Feels like time has sped up to ridiculous rapidity.  Anyway, I got distracted after doing various bits of internal paint.  The cockpit as supplied looks very good.  But didn't I have to just go and try and embellish it?   Entirely forgot about rapidity.  :doh:

So I'm just about to fasten the fuse together after a couple more touches with the brush to tudy up.  I've added seat belts, trim wheel cut from an old bit of PE sprue, long lever evident in some photos,  and a throttle thingy again from spare PE.  

spacer.png

Well, I enjoyed it.  But lesson learnt about not losing focus ........ :bristow:

Can't compete in speed with the experienced chaps around here, but so far I think I'll make more progress and get some external paint on this evening.

cheers

Rob

• Like 5

Thanks for all the encouragement chaps!  What fun.

This was taken at about 8:30 this evening

spacer.png

This is the Narwhal variant of the Bf109 !!  :rofl:

We have some paint on!  I've had a couple of challenges.  Firstly I've made a bit of a mess of the transparancies.  They are very thin clear (obvs) plastic.  Not sure of the technical term, but the place where a piece joins the sprue was difficult to cut so I thought I'd chop the thing from the sprue with this still attached rather tha risk damage to the glazing by cutting awkwardly,  and then clean up the piece afterwards.  But as soon as I started to try and tease off the sprue remnants it just pulled a piece of the lower front edge off the wind screen.  Being a slow learner, I did the same with the aft piece of glass!  :doh: Doh!    Fortunately (? ) the damage is next to the fuselage so I'm just hoping I can pursuade some PVA to fill the gaps later.

Second issue was with paint.  Being new to airbrushing I'm still experimenting a bit so decided to use some Revell Aqua Color s.  Hmm.  Very thick out of the pot.  Used a 50:50,mix of paint to the Revell Color mix (which I think has retarder included in the solution) but still managed to clog the airbrush.  So wasted time cleaning the airbrush!!!  I found that the paint worked for me if I had a ratio of 80% thinner to 20% paint!!   Which is almost the opposite to the Vallejo Air paints I have used elsewhere!.

Anyway we have paint on the undersides.   Will do another hour and see if I can mask the thing ready for some grey (or gray or grau) :giggle:tomorrow.

Still hopeful of finishing tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Rob

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Hi Rob, welcome to the BlitzBuild, hope your enjoying the build and the banter, speaking of which, have you heard about the benefits of Pink Primer?

Good luck

H

Thanks and no.  But I'm guessing it's a form of trap gin?  Sounds good to me.  Anything to help keep things in perspectuvevevev hic! :drunk:

Looking good so far. Transparencies (and often questionable location of attachment points of same) are one of my big banes of modelling as well. PVA should do the trick though. Revell Aqua colours are a nightmare to get thinned properly for airbrushing, so I avoid as much as possible! I ususally use Tamiya or Mr Hobby acrylics, thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner. Really lovely to use that way (Levelling Thinner works miles better than Tamiya's own), and easy to thin to the right consistency. Just start with a brand new bottle of the paint and add Levelling Thinner up to the ridge just inside the lip of the bottle. I've started using the MRP lacquers recently too, which come pre-thinned for airbrushing and spray very nicely.

James

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Zephyr91 said:

I found that the paint worked for me if I had a ratio of 80% thinner to 20% paint!!

I have to dilute them a lot for brushing, even. The coat looks good.

Still, think of it as getting five times as much paint for the price of one pot!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1