Land Rover series 3 half ton Lightweight - 1:35 scale

bootneck

I hope to have them finished by end of play on Tuesday, as Wednesday is when models need to be delivered to the guy with the Friday setup pass.  I shall still bring them along, even if unfinished, as it will still show the parts etc.  I will be situated at the Land Rover SIG stand; although, I might be off looking at all the wonderful stuff on display and for sale! :undecided:

cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

just a short update to say that I shall be holding off posting any further progress until after SMW2023.  I am busy getting the parts printed, some of which are really tiny, primed and then either assembled and painted; or, painted and assembled as necessary.  I have to get these to the guy who is taking the models to Telford by Wednesday, so no time for photos and dialogue at the moment.  Normal(ish) service should resume after that weekend.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's looking particularly fine under colour now, which, along the fineness of some of those parts is going to add up to a visually-compelling piece of work without a doubt.

On 02/10/2023 at 20:59, bootneck said:

I was asked, offine, by someone as to why I printed the parts horizontally, as the common method seems to be angled. 

Kudos to you Mike. I'm a great believer that a successful method based on personal experience trumps the conventional wisdom(s) with which the internet is awash.

Hope you had a good Telford!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I have finally recovered from Telford,  I caught a nasty coughing bug which laid me low for a while.  I couldn't get any modelling done because my eyes kept streaming and everything was out of focus.  Nonetheless.  whilst I've been idling about with a bottle of cough syrup and Lemsips, Pete hasn't.  He has updated the wings for the Lightweight with correct headlamp openings AND glazed lens covers.

This view shows one of the updated wing panel units which even has the bulb in situ!  Apologies for my photography, it never as been a forte of mine.

spacer.png

Herewith the first test print of some lens' straight off their supports. The vertical line, in the 2nd from left, is a support I missed removing.

spacer.png

I need to do further work on these to get the supports right, in order to ensure a clean surface all round.  Everything is looking good though.

More later,

Mike

• Like 7

The new wings, with headlamps, that Pete has produced are a vast improvement on the previous version of the model.

Here is a view of the earlier version

spacer.png

I have stripped the old body and built up the later version.  The tyre on the spare wheel has been changed to match the rest of the tyre treads.

spacer.png

This rear view shows some of the fittings in the driver's compartment

spacer.png

and here is a view of the new body which is loosely dry-fitted onto the chassis.  The outer lens areas need to be repainted green where I slipped with the silver paint.

spacer.png

The next task will be to fit the clear headlamp lenses and colour in the indicator lights, then add the number plate and the rest of the fittings.

more to follow.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 16

This coming weekend, after I attempt some test examples first, I plan to start on the two jobs that I have been putting off for ages:

First, the cutting out and fitting of the windscreen panes and side windows of the cab.  Pete has provided a good set up templates for which to take the measurements from, or the template can be laid over some clear plastic and marked out. 

spacer.png

The method I have chosen is to transfer these dimensions to a Silouette type cutter and cut the parts out that way.  I drew the shapes in Inkscape and then copied them to the cutter software. Then I made an initial set of test cuts using a piece 0.5mm thickness white plastic sheet, and these can be seen in the lower half of this image.  This proved OK so I did the same again but this time using a piece of 0.3mm thickness clear plastic sheet, this was from some old clear packaging.

spacer.png

My second task is to make the canopy tilt out of paper and liquid glue.  As I mentioned in a previous thread  VMS supply the liquid glue and paper I shall be using for this excercise and now is the time to give that a try.  Again, as I'm not sure how this will come out, I am using an old canopy frame and LR Lightweight for this test.  The tilt will overlap the framework sides by a further 3mm either side, to reach the securing tabs on the body, but I don't want to fit the canopy to the body just in case I can't remove the tilt to trim it afterwards.  For this phase, I am using a block of wood to balance the centre of the canopy in order to keep the sides hanging free.

I coated the top sections of the paper with the glue and placed it onto the canopy frame and then let it dry for a while.  After that, I started to dampen the sides to get them to adhere to the vertical bars of the frame.

spacer.png

So far so good and I shall leave this to dry overnight.  Tomorrow with be a case of trimming and then further applications of the liquid glue in order to get everything to form around the frame.

if all works well then I shall make more glazings and another canopy tilt for the actual model over the weekend.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 8

Well, I managed to get the clear parts fitted and then I had a go at making the canvas tilt.

Not perfect but I am happy with this first attempt.  I messed up the side mirrors fitting the tilt but it is on an old model, so not a concern.

spacer.png

On Sunday, the Helicopter Museum is having their Christmas Fun Day, with Santa flying in by helicopter.  Our model club, the North Somerset Modelling Society, will have a presence there with a display of our built models.  Although my Landy isn't perfect (they accept these limitations at my age :pipe: ) I think that I shall take it along and place it in this setting.  I shall paint the headlamps a suitable silvery colour and perhaps add some unit markings and make some track marks in the snow etc.

spacer.png

Now that I know what to do, I shall have another go with the tilt and hope that it will be a better representation.  If it is then I shall place it on my WiP Landy and continue with the build.

cheers for now,

Mike

• Like 13

One thing I have noticed from mike picture that I had not seen before is I need to make the mirror support thicker which I will do.

Thank you everyone for your comments and a big thank you to Mike for his time and perseverance with me and the development of the kit.

More to come in 24 I think.

Pete 

• Thanks 2

It's all down to Pete and his eye for detail,  I just assemble the pieces.  If Pete or I notice something that is of concern then Pete scurries away and Voila!  a corrected piece magically appears. :worthy:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This view shows that unit markings and number plates have been added,

spacer.png

Skis, poles and a camnet were added next, plus a mild filter of Deluxe "scenic snowflakes" were sprinkled over the vehicle.

spacer.png

It would be nice if this was all they would see at tomorrow's show!

spacer.png

If anyone is wondering where one might find square snow mounds with a deep undercut, as in my diorama, then the answer is Norway.

spacer.png

That's it for tonight as I am going to pack this dio up ready for tomorrow at the Helicopter Museum.

cheers, and thank you for your compliments and likes.

Mike

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

it's been a few weeks since I updated this WiP, my absence being mainly due to Telford, family commitments and build up for the festive season etc.   Pete and I haven't been idle in that time, we have been discussing areas that could do with revisiting and, as a result, Pete has produced some nice little updates and enhancements.  Hopefully I can start printing the updated parts and continue the WiP soon; however, it is my wedding anniversary tomorrow (38 years undetected crime :whistle:)  so I might not be able to restart until Monday.

Until then, if I don't get chance to say this beforehand,  HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all. 

:partytime:

Mike

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

Back to it again.  I mentioned earlier that Pete has produced some enhancement to his models and this has meant some changes in my build.  Probably the most noticeable change is the addition of wing panels with headlights, rather than the solid versions earlier.

As the body will need to incorporate the new panels, I have had to print, construct and paint new bodies for them.  I have jumped forward in the assembly to this stage.

spacer.png

A new panel has been attached and painted on the right side, with the left side still to finish.

spacer.png

Whilst the paint is drying on the body, it is time to start on the canopy tilt.  Last time I did this, I tried to make it from a single sheet but I didn't find that to be the best way.

I have only made up the roof section of the tilt.  Once dried, I shall add the side sections.

spacer.png

I hit a slight glitch, with my previous assumption, when I found the tilt sides need to overlap the body.  As such, I had to glue the canopy frame to the body before I could continue.

This has also meant that I have had to bring forward the fitting of the windscreen and side windows, before attaching the canopy.

The side fits nicely but, as can be seen below, there is some slight shrinkage.  Fortunately, the gap has been over the door so doesn't look out of place here.

spacer.png

Another of Pete's enhancements, is the addition of a starting handle which has been built into the inside of the bonnet.  This is a nice little feature if the bonnet is raised.

It's hard to notice here but the driver's side window is actually open at the rear.

spacer.png

The canopy tilt has been painted and it looks good to my old eyes.

spacer.png

With the bonnet closed up, the model is starting to look the part. 

spacer.png

This is the old model, with solid headlamps.

spacer.png

The old and the new.

spacer.png

There's still a fair bit to be done to the new model;  the tail-gates, number plates, windscreen wipers and tow hooks need to be added.  Then there are the unit markings etc.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 10

Just picking up this thread, 3d printing is an entirely new world to me, these look amazing, great work on the canopy too I have always struggled with getting fabrics to look right, but you have nailed it 🙂 ,  

• Thanks 1

That's looking rather splendid Mike. I do like your snow scene diorama.

I'd quite fancy one in 1/24th scale to go with my 90 Srs. 3 I converted from the Revel 110. I think your guys had a few aboard Bulwark in '66.

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 1:15 PM, bootneck said:

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your kind comments.  Check with Pete via his website, to see if he may be producing this in 1:24 scale as well as 1:35.

cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, many thanks for the heads-up.

Colin the Wessex nut.

An absolutely compelling body of work Mike and one that does great credit to Pete's designs. Those really feel like scale replicas rather than a 'model of', if that makes sense?

On 09/12/2023 at 20:12, bootneck said:

If anyone is wondering where one might find square snow mounds with a deep undercut, as in my diorama, then the answer is Norway.

spacer.png

I wondered why you posted a still from the advert....

Screenshot_20240202-201515_Firefox

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I have finally managed to get around to finishing this build.  Pete has produced more enhancements since my last update and they are very welcome additions.

The first update was to add the towing cleats on the front bumper.  These are located either side of the number plate position.

spacer.png

His latest enhancement was to add tools to the tailgate, virtually a must for all military Land Rovers in the field.

spacer.png

Pete has also produced a very nice decal set, containing number plates, letters and numbers.  Each letter and number is an individual decal which means there's no need to faff about trying to cut tightly around each number or letter.

This sheet can be obtained at Pete's site at phd-design-etchings.co.uk.

spacer.png

Placement of the numbers and letters onto the number plate decal is simple, and the same as any other waterslide transfer system.

I placed these onto thin white styrene sheet; however, I will use black styrene sheet in future as that will save having to go around the edges with black paint.

spacer.png

The tailgate, suitably painted, plus the number plate looks good on the model.

spacer.png

Well, I think that is it now.  One final element to add was the wipers.  The ability to add individually placed wipers really enhance the look of the  model.

spacer.png

This side view completes my WiP.

spacer.png

This has been a fun build, if somewhat protracted due to my ability to keep going off on diversary builds, and I would recommend Pete's 3D printed vehicles to any military modeller. 

I shall certainly be getting more as and when produces them.  Any queries on Pete Harvey's models can be directed to his site here.

I would like to build another one of these kits at a later date, as a Land Rover lightweight FFR; with full radio kit and antennas etc.

Cheers,
Mike

• Like 8