Land Rover series 3 half ton Lightweight - 1:35 scale

bootneck

My latest project will be to build this 3D printed kit which has been designed and produced by Peter Harvey of PH Designs.

spacer.png

My intention is to build the model as a representation of a vehicle I used in the mid-1970s, whilst deployed with a Forward Air Control (FAC) team in Norway.

spacer.png

First off, I've needed to make a test print of the body, to check that I have the supports in the right place and that everything printed correctly.

spacer.png

With the supports removed and sprayed with grey primer, this view shows up the detail nicely.

spacer.png

Looking much better with a coat of green.  

spacer.png

I shall check this test print for any areas that need fine-tuning and do any adjustments as necessary before I make another print for the actual build.

There are over 50 parts to this kit, some only 2.5mm in size, so this will not be a quick build.  I hope that I can make a good model from the beautifully designed components.

Further details about the kit and information of availabilty can be obtained from Peter at PH Designs

cheers,

Mike

• Like 16

That looks very good ... especially as this 3D printing is a dark art to me!

Credit to Pete for his work on the design, and look forward to seeing how this one develops! 

Keith 😁

• Thanks 1

It was very much a dark art for me just over a year ago.  I started to look at the various videos online and then took the plunge.  It's great, even at my age.

cheers,
Mike

I used to own one of these and wouldn't mind building one.

This looks a great kit.

Can you buy it as a whole kit, or just the CAD?  Also, I can't find details of it at all on the linked PH webpage?  It seems to be all metal and etch parts.

This is a complete kit; however, it is a test set.   I believe it's a new concept for Pete and it would be best to contact him as to whether he will produce printed kits or downloadable STL files.  You can contact him via the email on his site.  

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The kit Mike is printing and building is the first one and is not on general release yet also the decision has not been made weather the finished kit will be offered as a finished kit or as only print files so please bear with us?

This is Mikes build and I will be following the build but not commenting much if at all.

Pete

Edited by PeteH1969
punctuation
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Hi John,

I was out there 1966-67 and 70-71 but don't remember seeing any during that time.  Whilst out there, at HMS Simbang, my vehicle was a 109" series 2 FFR.  We had the Lightweight in UK from 1969 but, as everyone was preparing for the withdrawal from the Far East, it's possible that the Lightweights didn't get sent out there.  I can only talk from an RM/RN perspective, perhaps the Army or the RAF got them.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Hi Mike, can I check what scale it is?

Hi Tim,

it is 1:35 scale.  I have amended the header to reflect that.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

• bootneck changed the title to Land Rover series 3 half ton Lightweight - 1:35 scale

After checking the first test print, I realised that the supports were too large. When removing them they left some little speres in the underside of the model.  I changed the angle and also the supports setting; from medium to light, and re-positioned them.   This print is straight off the printer, still damp after washing, and shows a much sharper finish to the print.   I had also changed the resin to a mix of black and white, which gives the model the darker effect.

Note the sharpness of the handbrake in the well of the cab.

spacer.png

I shall remove the supports, give the model a clean up and then take another photo later.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 8

16 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi John,

I was out there 1966-67 and 70-71 but don't remember seeing any during that time.  Whilst out there, at HMS Simbang, my vehicle was a 109" series 2 FFR.  We had the Lightweight in UK from 1969 but, as everyone was preparing for the withdrawal from the Far East, it's possible that the Lightweights didn't get sent out there.  I can only talk from an RM/RN perspective, perhaps the Army or the RAF got them.

cheers,

Mike

There you go. It's got to be a false memory thing then. It's just that we did a huge (and I do mean huge) exercise to Australia in '69, allegedly the biggest gathering of ships since the Inchon landings, and I've got this memory of seeing a couple on that. But as I say, more than 50 years ago, and the brain is beginning to addle.:mental:

John.

I have been working on the chassis today,  setting up the file, printing it off, cleaning it up then priming it.

Here is the chassis after a coat of black acrylic paint.   I think it looks a little better than seeing loads of grey printed files; which might just be the case over the next few weeks!  :dull:

spacer.png

The chassis, including the battery tray and bumpers, is a single unit and I shall paint those items the correct colours later.

spacer.png

A quick test fit with the body, that looks and fits fine

spacer.png

This close in view shows up some little bist of dust and roughness around body.  I'll get a fine sanding stick to them before priming and painting later.

spacer.png

the next element, probably on Thursday, should be the engine block, clutch housing and gearbox assembly.  I can't remember what colours to paint the engine block,  I think it might have been a pastel green; with black cover and sump.  I would appreciate any advice on how the engine and gearbox assembly should look when painted.

I won't bore everyone by doing a thread for every individual printed part.  Once the engine/gearbox components section has been completed, I'll do batches of prints and report on them together and that should speed up the process until we get to the assembly stages.

I'm tired now, so I shall log off, shove my eyes back into their sockets and go make a cup of tea.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 12

Superb work, the chassis looks just so (but more solid! 😅).

In mine (FFR 24v) which was pretty much how it left service, the engine block and alternator was a a very pale bluey/green (like duck egg?), the inlet, cylinder head and gearbox were unpainted alloy.  Air filter box and piping were black.

I wish I had kept the original AP manual for it, come to think of it I wish I still had the truck!

Really hope this comes to fruition as a kit, really looks exquisite.

Edited by 71chally
Grammer
  • Like 4

Hi James,

thanks,  this build will eventually be completed as a 24v FFR.  I am spending today batch printing the remaining parts and hope to provide a further update this weekend. 

This view shows about 25% of the items that make up the complete kit.   Note that I have started to paint the engine block.

spacer.png

The body shell at the back is the original test print and I am using that to try out the painting demarcations.  The actual model should be standard green internal areas and off-white externally.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 6

Very nice Mike. 

Depends on how fussy you want to be of course, but the engine block is paler than that, I would say Humbrol 23 Duck Egg is close.

Also, apologies, the cylinder head was the same colour as the block, it was the rocker cover that was in unpainted alloy.  However I have seen pictures of the rocker cover painted the same as the block.  I was told that later military reconditioned units were fully assembled and painted all over.

The cooling fan on mine was the same colour as the block, but I think replacements were bright yellow.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

If memory serves me correctly, the fan on my pussers truck was black. I remember that it was hard to see in amongst the black radiator and, usually, under a dark cam net etc.   I shall have a go at lightening the engine block later, I need to get the supports of these prints before they become difficult to remove.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bootneck said:

If memory serves me correctly, the fan on my pussers truck was black. I remember that it was hard to see in amongst the black radiator and, usually, under a dark cam net etc. 

I wonder if that's why they later went to bright yellow!

You work fast.

• Like 1