1/164 YT-1300 Corellian Transport - DONE ++

Dermo245

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So finally some progress. Everything primed in black as she's getting a new paint job.

53311816306_2ebf88d119_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And got back a test 3D print for the freight module - this is based on the freight cars from the heist scene in Solo, A Star Wars Story  and resized to fit this model.

53312177269_aa291d1867_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Good fit, happy with that so 4 more on the way!

53312059173_44cbe94b9a_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 10

You live and learn. Thanks, Dermot. I've never seen that freight container before. Looking slightly awkward mounted there, to be honest, but it works.

I always wondered how the Falcon was supposed to pay it's way as a freighter without much room inside.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2023 at 6:05 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

You live and learn. Thanks, Dermot. I've never seen that freight container before. Looking slightly awkward mounted there, to be honest, but it works.

I always wondered how the Falcon was supposed to pay it's way as a freighter without much room inside.

Me too - the little under-floor compartments in one of the earlier films were never that convincing. Even as a kid I was like, "because there's no chance Dath Vader's gonna think of that!".

I kind of like the container attachment here. I wonder how it'd last on the Kessel Run though!

• Like 2

There's a few decent sized spaces for cargo in the Falcon, but it is a ship that was originally designed as a light freighter. Plus if you're smuggling, I'd imagine the items that would need to be smuggled may not be that large and also be considerably valuable. Take a look at the real life drug subs, for instance ;)

James

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Nice bit of progress. I like the pushed arrangement for the container pods.

59e40e_f2c0aeea4cb74b7e82d66b82f8c15bc7~

Thanks and that's exactly the set-up I'm going for!

On the behind the scenes documentary, Lorne Petersen from ILM explained the Falcon was originally planned to fly side-on like a Sunfish with the cockpit rotating as it went vertical. But they dropped that idea fairly quickly.

• Like 2

I knew about the 'sunfish' idea. I'm sure I've seen something else between the 'mandibles' on an earlier version of the ship? An escape pod maybe?

The multiple pod sketch looks good. Manoeuvres would have to be gentle though. None of the dog fighting we're used to!

And how do they get them down to the planet once gravity comes into play. Good job it's only pretend. Or is it? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Nice bit of progress. I like the pusher arrangement for the container pods.

59e40e_f2c0aeea4cb74b7e82d66b82f8c15bc7~

That reminds me of Space Truckers (terrible movie, great models)

James

• Like 4

Thanks everyone and some paint on - just Tamiya Flat White over the black base.

53334060058_cef48bd818_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

53334285700_b9f0bd4cb1_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then some masking for the freight colour - you'll probably guess where this build is going!

53332948777_fe6dc109d3_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

53334060028_fdacbe929d_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

53334060038_1ca43dd86c_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Some areas to touch up but happy how it's looking.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 8

On 11/10/2023 at 2:16 PM, Thom216 said:

I have to say, seeing how Han had let it deteriorate makes me a wee sad

What most people don't know is Han & Chewie scavenged engine upgrades, military armor, and weapons from clone wars derelicts. Thats why the Falcon had a shoddy appearance as they had mounted extras but never had time to repaint or clean it up. It’s one of the reasons the ship has a few odd colors (red & blue). Placed in random around the upper & lower hull. Those are from other ships. I just learned this recently myself so don't feel too bad. When smuggling in the era of the Empire and criminal gangs you did what you could to survive. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Spot on James and here's hoping it works out as planned!

Cheers,

Dermot

"You've got it all wrong, Jabba. We delivered your stuff, but you were out, so we put it in your bin for safe keeping. It's not my fault it was bin day"

James

• Haha 4

So on to decals. These are by Draw Decals and Greg very kindly resized them for this kit.

The decals on the purple portion was the easier one as I had an idea of they would work. But for the larger decal on the white surface, I wasn't sure so tried a few different placement options.

53342801736_588a68ced5_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

53343124544_10ea86c2c5_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

In the end, I thought asymmetrical on the cockpit side was the way to go. Decals were very thin and went down a treat.

53343022653_a70f3576ab_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_build_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Very nicely done indeed, Dermot. It looks great. Faster than a Fed Ex truck, that's for sure.

I still smile every time I see Fed Ex Express on the trucks though. Does it mean fast and very fast at the same time?

• Haha 3

• Dermo245 changed the title to 1/164 YT-1300 Corellian Transport - DONE ++

So with some weathering and a wash, she's done!

53404490319_fdd8fb0d58_b.jpg

And while I got some cargo containers 3D printed, I never got around to finishing them; will do that over Christmas holidays.

53403237682_a9b8591990_b.jpg

53404166806_56acae181b_b.jpgRevell_YT_1300_Freighter_Falcon)FedEx_Done_1 (8) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Will post some more pics in the RFI, thanks for following along and your kind comments and to @bianfuxia and @Bobby No Mac for hosting.

Until the next time, happy modelling and have a great Christmas.

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 5