My Big 1/35th scale DAK Diorama, or "Volkswagens on Parade"...

John Masters

14 hours ago, 81-er said:

This is shaping up very well, John :)

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Wheely effective weathering!

Thanks fellows...

I woke up suddenly early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep for a bit.  So I effectively finished it.  I still have to add the windshield wipers and some dust on the glass.

53313013841_ba36c5dfda_z_d.jpg

53313013846_992a9fd252_z_d.jpg

Getting there...

--John

• Like 10

9 hours ago, 81-er said:

That was worth the early wake up :)

I agree.  Thank you.

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She looks great John, very nicely weathered.

Going to look really good on your diorama.

Thank you.  😃

And with that, the Beetle is done and dusted...or is that dusty?  I have added a tow rope to the kubelwagen and the figures are pretty much finished as well.  I will give them a coat of matt spray to really dull them down.  Maybe some touchups here and there, but mostly the vehicles and figures are done.

53313298692_fa70afe9c5_z_d.jpg

53314162621_18c7f683be_z_d.jpg

53314520504_fe7e2cf0a2_z_d.jpg

Obviously the figures positioning are not final.  I'll have to see what they look like in the sand, amidst the rocks, etc...

53313298702_52d833f9c8_z_d.jpg

53314637380_3c8b8798f0_z_d.jpg

Speaking of sand and rocks...

I removed the plastic sheet of 'glass' from the frame.  I'll keep the matte inside.  It will help hold the ground cover.  I think before I do anything I will run a thread of silicone caulking around the inside edge to keep any moisture from seeping out.  Then I will mask the frame itself so it doesn't get smudged or damaged from pigments or what have you.

53314541509_cae47b8e0f_z_d.jpg

The styrofoam stuff is pretty rugged.  It will take some real carving to work this stuff into shape.

53313319687_214f96ca9c_z_d.jpg

I think two pieces will suffice.  Smooshed down, carved, etc...I think they will look alright.

53314541524_20e55b339a_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

That's already looking like a superb diorama on your work mat, it's going to look fantastic once the base is done :)

Not that you're taking it in that direction, but it's reminding me of one I saw at a show earlier in the year entitled "Lost in the Dessert". It had some DAK chaps looking bewildered by their vehicle, under a palm tree, all set into a bowl with some "custard" as the base. Complete with a spoon. 

James

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Not that you're taking it in that direction, but it's reminding me of one I saw at a show earlier in the year entitled "Lost in the Dessert". It had some DAK chaps looking bewildered by their vehicle, under a palm tree, all set into a bowl with some "custard" as the base. Complete with a spoon. 

I’d love to see that.  Maybe there’s a link somewhere for the show that might have an image?

On 11/7/2023 at 12:05 AM, 81-er said:

I'd forgotten about the banana slices

See...that's a good diorama.  It reminds me to not take myself too seriously.  I imagine that set the rivet-counters teeth on edge! 😁

• Like 1

It is indeed, I fancy having a go at something similarly humorous at some point. Bonus points if it brings the rivet-counters out in hives :cwl:

James

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 81-er said:

It is indeed, I fancy having a go at something similarly humorous at some point. Bonus points if it brings the rivet-counters out in hives :cwl:

I imagine they took it all with good humour and a sense of whimsy.  😁

• Like 1

Let's start the base, shall we?

I have taped up the sides of the frame so they don't get messy.  All those gaps, matt window and open seams need to filled with silicone so the water-based putties and scenery filler don't leach into the cardboard.

53328078652_04d673c16a_z_d.jpg

And, of course, I am out of silicone caulk.  Off to the DIY shop.

53328078662_9ca0aa2d39_z_d.jpg

The gaps are filled and I gave the whole of the cardboard matt a layer of silicone as well.

53328951616_e68cbfdbeb_z_d.jpg

The polystyrene foam is tricky.  Highly toxic stuff, it says, and normal glue won't work.  They suggested a hot glue gun.  So while at the DIY shop, I picked this up.

53328078682_376a85127f_z_d.jpg

And this is what it looks like now.

53329175218_b0e6ece768_z_d.jpg

I'll begin shaping the rock outcropping today/tonight, and, I hope, begin working on the base tomorrow.  

--John

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 10:42 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Fantastic work, am keen to see what you do with the base.

You asked for it...

The instructions on the packaging say to mold the stuff using heat.  So I did that.  Not really successful but it no longer resembles pieces of broken plastic styrene, or whatever this stuff is.  I did it in the kitchen so I could use the exhaust fan.  Pretty stinky toxic.

53347459629_c703e3e45d_z_d.jpg

53347586815_eebc19ea2c_z_d.jpg

I will need to make tire tracks.  Both axles are measured correctly.  Good thing I saved the parts!

53347137231_d3ab6d6548_z_d.jpg

Some Vallejo ground base.  When that is dry I will be able to work a little bit more on the outcropping.

53347137236_7efb7d4c3e_z_d.jpg

I added this...

53347586845_6a68e06acb_z_d.jpg

...and this...

53347368403_343425fa65_z_d.jpg

And I am left with this.  

53347368398_a7c4790a29_z_d.jpg

I will leave it there for the night.

--John

• Like 7

Very nice work on the base John. 

The thing about trying new methods or products is that it is a learning process and I think that the effect you have achieved on the rocky outcrop is good and with the Vallejo ground base on top it looks even better and I like the two raised areas of groundwork too. Good idea with the spare wheels on the "axle" you have made for them, should get good results on the soft ground.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work on the base John. 

The thing about trying new methods or products is that it is a learning process and I think that the effect you have achieved on the rocky outcrop is good and with the Vallejo ground base on top it looks even better and I like the two raised areas of groundwork too. Good idea with the spare wheels on the "axle" you have made for them, should get good results on the soft ground.

Thanks Craig.  Early days, obviously.  Once the base os dry I can shape a bit more, then add some more base layers which will be more of a sandy colour.

• Like 1