My Big 1/35th scale DAK Diorama, or "Volkswagens on Parade"...

John Masters

I began some work on the interior pieces today.

Seats, dashboard...

53247497202_89acfa75de_z_d.jpg

I had to cut down the size of the fuel tank a bit to fit with the new resin rear bulkhead.  Also, when fitting the piece with the short and emergency brake, it's best to fit the dashboard in first as a guide.

53248672093_9d556a25c4_z_d.jpg

So it will look like this.  It is dry fitted.

53247497227_a9f8502046_z_d.jpg

The axle ends were round which will not fit the Tamiya hubs.  I filed/sanded them down.

53247497207_7afee40e94_z_d.jpg

And attached the front axle, etc...

53248736259_92344e05e3_z_d.jpg

If I have time tonight I will attempt to build the rear axle and suspension from scratch.  Regarding painting...I think the interior will be grey on grey.  I'll look online to be sure.

--John

• Like 8

The rear axle/suspension photo supplied by @81-er seemed to be the direction to go, so I jumped in.  I remember my mother repairing her Beetle back in the day.  Here I am building a suspension!  Ha!  😄  Here's the photo supplied...pretty basic construction.

53250277463_b6ed9b8ede_c_d.jpg

I started with some brass rod glued in a couple of holes drilled into the differential...

53249974366_abef7fe050_z_d.jpg

Then I slipped on a bit of plastic tube on each end. I measured them with the front axle and the wheel well.  

53250476830_2331828d42_z_d.jpg

The supports for the axles came next.  Plastic card...

53250476820_db08443ec0_z_d.jpg

All in place!

53250340049_f6045aa89a_z_d.jpg

I had forgotten that I am using the other set of resin wheels for the 87, not the Tamiya.  That's ok.  I measured and everything is alright.  

I also gave the interior some lighter paint after the dark grey.   

53250272738_ebb3e30838_z_d.jpg

Before falling sleep last night I pondered how the glass on the doors is, like most models, completely in the 'rolled up' position.  I think I will try to make it seem as if the windows have been rolled down.  

--John

• Like 11

I've just caught up on this one .... the Kubelwagen is fantastic .... nicely detailed, painted and weathered 👌

The tupe 87 is coming along nicely too .... I'll have to try and keep up now! 

Keith 😁 

On 10/11/2023 at 9:40 AM, Andwil said:

Some very good work going on here.

I’d go for windows down too, although having them up would keep the flies out!

On 10/11/2023 at 9:47 AM, Keeff said:

I've just caught up on this one .... the Kubelwagen is fantastic .... nicely detailed, painted and weathered 👌

The tupe 87 is coming along nicely too .... I'll have to try and keep up now! 

On 10/11/2023 at 10:23 AM, modelling minion said:

That really is great work John, very nice detailing on the axles.

I like the idea of the windows being partially open too, that would make for a nice detail.

23 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'm glad the photo was a help, you've definitely done a nice job of the rear end. The rest is looking good too

Thank you all.  So windows open it will be, despite the flies...!  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More interior work...the test fit of the body to the chassis a bit tight.  A wee bit of fettling will be required.

53254216967_daa1e11038_z_d.jpg

53255102061_564a945867_z_d.jpg

53255102221_80448b7752_z_d.jpg

53255102241_e2ddd670af_z_d.jpg

Plenty of room for stuff inside this little vehicle.  I have some 1/35th scale fruits and vegetables..and of course the ubiquitous box of bratwürst! 😆

53254216947_0aa56eb8fa_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 11

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

will be even better with a box of Bratwurst.😁

The question really is, "what isn't better with a crate of bratwürst?"

I decided to do some work on the potential figures.  This fellow from the Master Box Ltd. set of DAK tankers is perfect for the stumped mechanic looking at the engine...

53256155610_a15e033be9_z_d.jpg

So I built him.  Very nice detail, btw...it will be tricky painting him just right.

53254782917_f5a6ce4b59_z_d.jpg

And then I looked at the Tamiya DAK set.  This fellow looks about right for something too.

53256162460_1ffe33c6dc_z_d.jpg

So I assembled him.  Care to guess what I discovered?

53256020409_739214fe7e_z_d.jpg

Yes...two examples of two different 1/35th scale figures.  The Tamiya fellow looks a bit small.  😠

So I assembled another of the Master Box figures.  I might as well use them all for constancy in size, right?

Here is the second MB figure along with the Tamiya figure in the Kubelwagen.  It's obvious the grey fellow would never fit in the Kubelwagen, yet the Tamiya would.

53254782922_2a21e43f39_z_d.jpg

And here is the mechanic...like me, he's scratching his head, with much to ponder.

53256155585_a2035eedcb_z_d.jpg

I think as long as I don't try to pose them too close (or in) any of the vehicles, I could get away with using the Master Box figures.  They are really nice.  The Tamiya figures are small and the detail is mushy.  The same goes for the HobbyBoss figures btw...they seem to be a same size as the Tamiya.  maybe the same moulds.  

So...I pass this along to the experts.  What say ye?

--John

• Like 11

Its amazing how much of a disparity in size there can be between different manufacturers figures, fortunately us real folk come in different sizes too so you can get away with it to a degree but when we look at figures on dioramas we expect them to be the same size.

I really like the figure kneeling down and scratching his head, perfect for your diorama.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Its amazing how much of a disparity in size there can be between different manufacturers figures, fortunately us real folk come in different sizes too so you can get away with it to a degree but when we look at figures on dioramas we expect them to be the same size.

I really like the figure kneeling down and scratching his head, perfect for your diorama.

Yes...thanks...I agree completely.  I think I'll stick with the MB figures.  There are three of them anyway.  Plenty for the diorama.

• Like 1

Looks as though the Masterbox figures might actually be 1/32?

I also collect 1/72 figures of the Napoleonic wars, the differences in sizes among the various manufacturers is quite remarkable.  The miniature figure world is also cursed, in my opinion, with the evils of “scale creep” particularly with oversized or “heroically proportioned” heads, hands and weapons.

AW

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

Looks as though the Masterbox figures might actually be 1/32?

Yes.  This the problem.  "Scale creep." Never heard that but I have certainly experienced it.  So what do you think?  Can I get away with it?  I can certainly use the Tamiya and Hobby Boss figures...

• Like 1

I primed the VW body last night, as I was priming other items as well...

53259245018_80c5ab6aff_z_d.jpg

These are my choices for the better 1/35th scale figures.  I only need 3, and I have one of the Tamiya figures already.  On closer inspection the HobbyBoss are definitely nicer figures.  I might have to switch around some arms and legs to make the right poses.  I think I've done that before.

Figures D,E, and F of the HobbyBoss set look very promising.  They are carrying stuff (potential toolbox), pointing and otherwise leaning.  Also, C, the fellow sitting in a seat, could be made to be leaning into the engine with the right surgery.

53259437180_fe5ef4f6e7_z_d.jpg

The Tamiya figures could be used to augment the other figures.

53258071812_4d33cd7e39_z_d.jpg

I will continue to ponder this.  

--John

• Like 6

I think you can use the Masterbox figures by themselves but can’t mix them with the Tamiya figures.  While no two people are the same hight etc, the size differences are, in my opinion, too great plus there would be a difference in size of any badges, belts etc which would not be right.

AW

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andwil said:

I think you can use the Masterbox figures by themselves but can’t mix them with the Tamiya figures.  While no two people are the same hight etc, the size differences are, in my opinion, too great plus there would be a difference in size of any badges, belts etc which would not be right.

I think I am going to stick with the HobbyBoss figures.  They really are pretty good.  Surgery to replicate the kneeling mechanic is beyond my scope, however, so I have caved in and ordered this from the LHS in Athens...

53259830631_c04655dbc4_b_d.jpg

I think the right paint colour can be used to make them look like DAK...and they are the same size as the HobbyBoss set.  I'll use one of them and save the other for...yes...probably another little diorama.  

--John

• Like 3

The Hobbyboss figures do look very nice, as is the progress on the vehicles. I'd just like to mention that in the comparision shot between the MB and Tamiya figure, the light reflecting off the Tamiya guy's left hand makes it look a little like he's flipping you his middle finger, as if I knew he'd messed up your plans...

James

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

They are nice looking figures John, really quite detailed, and should fit your diorama scenario well.

Thank you Craig.

17 minutes ago, 81-er said:

the light reflecting off the Tamiya guy's left hand makes it look a little like he's flipping you his middle finger, as if I knew he'd messed up your plans...

Thanks James...I know!  I saw that too....🤣  Ooops!  Hahaha!   The other figures seem much more amenable...

Did some little things on the Beetle...I don't want to add too many of the small exterior bits before I attach the body to the chassis lest they break off (and you know they will).  I gave the interior some neutral grey/brown 'dusting', added the rear view mirror...I also cut the windows down so they could be left 'open', so to speak.  One note thing about this kit is that you insert the windows form the outside.  This means I can paint away once it is assembled and add the windows at the end.  I assembled the bumpers, but didn't attach...and I primed the whole thing.  I'll give it some Panzer Grey first and then the DAK colours, which if my research is correct, could be all but random--captured paint, Italian paint....  Certainly the weather and so forth adjusted their desert artistry.  It says 1941 the seem to have been fond of RAL 8000 and RAL 7008 both of which seem dark to me.  Anyway...

http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org/kubel/whpainte.html

Test fit...

53261063680_ab7e12e3bd_z_d.jpg

Cut them both down...

53261063685_f441ff8629_z_d.jpg

Test #2...

53260931159_c6064a90a5_z_d.jpg

53260931139_a5d57921b1_z_d.jpg

I think I will have to put all the baggage and whatnot inside the car before I add the body.  

--John

• Like 10