My Big 1/35th scale DAK Diorama, or "Volkswagens on Parade"...

John Masters

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Great Kubel. The weathering is brilliant and your ideas may be getting borrowed.😀👍

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

Some very nice weathering there John.

Thank you both.  Playing with pigments is fun, albeit a bit messy/dusty.  I put down a sheet of kitchen paper on the bench to catch excess and actually saved it.

Looking ahead to the Type 87...Hmmm...if I were to build it OOB I would few issues, I think.  However, with the addition of the resin after market engine, things will get complicated.  But first, the sprue...

53186637254_c0d4f97e8d_o_d.jpg

There is also a clear sprue.

The supplied wheels and tires are not very good.  I will use the leftover Tamiya set from the Kübelwagen as they are much better.

This will require a certain amount of fettling and drilling, but I have faith it will be alright.

53186571806_04c0e4fc55_z_d.jpg

Now, the resin engine, which is a separate  kit all on its own...one would think that because it is specifically designed for the CMK Type 87 VW that it wold have been moulded to actually fit within the CMK kit part itself.  No such luck, I'm afraid.  It's actually a few millimetres too wide in all its pieces for this kit.  And instructions for installation show to cut/chop, etc...the chassis so the motor will fit.  I think it will be worth it but it's a big job and one I will have to take great care with.

Sorry for the dust.  The Dremel had to come out for this one...nice detail, though.

53186771240_e80e72b7e9_z_d.jpg

The instructions...it looks like there are three stages...the first is building the motor, it's rear mounting plate, etc....then the second phase is the surgery.  The third phase is installation of the motor and the rear bulkhead (PUR1).  So that's how I'll play it.

53186637269_924100253b_o_d.jpg

Surgery here...looks like the interior sides of the wheel wells and the rear floor of the vehicle will have to go.

53186771245_1d5c7f8ed9_z_d.jpg

Razor saw, Dremel...I'll be wearing a mask for this one.  And once this has all been successfully accomplished, I get to modify the axles so the Tamiya wheels fit and build the thing.  Et voila! 😁

--John

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Shake n bake then? ;)

😁 Pretty much!

46 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The engine parts do look very nice John and I'm sure you will be able to cope with the work required to get it to fit but it would be nice if every now and then manufacturers made aftermarket parts that actually fit the kit they are for.

In a perfect world!  Crossed fingers!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dansk said:

annoying with the fit but it will definitely be worth it. the engine looks superb.

good choice with the wheels too.

Thanks Dansk.  I think it will be easier than I think.  I may need to augment here and there with various fillers or plastic bits, but I can do it.

• Like 1

I completely forgot about these. I will definitely use them.  I think the tire style will be a nice contrast to the balloons on the kübelwagen.  And they'll make nice tracks in the sand.  And there's a spare...😁

53193085455_cda00357d8_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

On 9/14/2023 at 4:22 PM, modelling minion said:

I'm sure you will be able to cope with the work required to get it to fit

Egads!  I hate this kind of surgery.  It always feels as if one wrong move and the entire project goes into the bin.  

53201259158_e41287c28b_z_d.jpg

Once I had cut out all the rear section and widened the area between the fenders, smoothed it all down with the Dremel and sanding sticks, this is what I have...

53200586222_fc1e615d6a_z_d.jpg

If the resin replacement bulkhead fits, then the rest will fit.  Oh...btw...the top of the kit fits perfectly over this.  Phew!  I think the worst is over...

53200570922_595665c92b_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

a job that I would not relish in the slightest.

Thank you.  I'm glad it's over and done with.  The next step is glueing that bulkhead into place and inserting the new resin interior sidewalls for the fenders. Then I'll begin assembling the motor on the platform that fits in from underneath.  I figure I'll prime and paint the motor assembly before I fix it to the vehicle.  

• Like 2

john is that definitely the right way around? - and not the longer panel vertical raising the 'parcel shelf' much higher in relation to the wheel arches, and the shorter panel being horizontal? might just be me though?

spacer.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dansk said:

john is that definitely the right way around?

That's correct.  Once the sidewalls are in it closes off that gap.  Note the illustration....and the piece pictured is slightly different from the piece they gave me, btw...it has sidewalls.  Mine does not.

53202872464_8c25c8e570_o_d.jpg

Thanks!

John

• Like 4

Let's do this...

53205920875_1d6b2b13e3_z_d.jpg

First, I'll fix the rear bulkhead and the interior.   Easy enough.

53205720208_ac2e197141_z_d.jpg

Let's build a motor...

53205920875_1d6b2b13e3_z_d.jpg

Not so difficult.  According to the little photo on the box, part of the motor (oil pan) will sit beneath the PE mounting plate.  It took me a few minutes to figure this out.

53205720238_25fa675288_z_d.jpg

Like this...

53205417431_cdb286499a_z_d.jpg

From beneath...

53205920935_2b4bff93ac_z_d.jpg

A test fitting shows it will be a tight fit, but true...

53205798029_a8241029fd_z_d.jpg

I see some scraggly edges on the body that will have to be repaired.  I think a bit of Milliput will make them smooth without increasing the opening.

53205720278_9129c72f86_z_d.jpg

It'll sit like this...

53205720318_4f68c5d514_z_d.jpg

Now that it is built, I will prime and paint the motor and the interior separately and then insert the components.

Phew!  I am happy that worked out so well.  Of course I will have to now build a rear axle out of plastic bits, but I think that will be ok.

--John

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

you'll be fitting the ignition leads etc after a lie down....

Thank you...We'll see....a fan belt for sure, although that might be the reason for the breakdown in the desert and the need for a repair vehicle.  Leads?  Too tiny, I think.  But now you have challenged me...😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit of work on the motor...and installed it into the chassis.  It looked a bit odd without the fan belt, so I used some stretched sprue.  This will still get some dust and weathering eventually.

53237231749_1ecf669347_z_d.jpg

I cut off the engine covering (it's not the bonnet, so what is it?) on the kit.  The open motor will use the nice resin piece supplied with the motor.

53236863251_53d944bf21_z_d.jpg

Now this will be fun.  Because I removed the rear section of the undercarriage, I no longer have any rear suspension/axle.  I will have to build one.  This will be a first for me and I will need some help.  The axles/universals go where the little red circles are.

53236863276_a4157dff45_z_d.jpg

And I found this picture of what I think I will have to build...or close enough for government work, as they say.

53237357675_4518706634_c_d.jpg

Can someone confirm this is accurate?  It looks accurate...🤔

--John

• Like 4

It's looking good, John. The answer to your question is sort-of. You've got a later IRS rear end with a disc brake conversion in that picture, but the Type 87 had the earlier swing arm suspension and the portal axles from the Schwimmwagen. So you want a rear end like this with a portal on the end like the one in the photos on this page. I should say I'm not some kind of VW guru, I just knew enough that that one wasn't quite right, and googled the rest

James

• Like 1