IWATA Revelation M1/2

terryc

Hi Terry,

I noticed not many replies and I suppose that is because most of us are using double action. I was interested though in the reasons for choosing the single action. In terms of hand size the geometry on a normal Iwata around the trigger portion and area you grip appears to be the same. However, you might have an inability to move your finger in both the vertical and horizontal plane and for that reason are looking at a simple depression. The reason I say this is my first recommendation to anyone buying an airbrush is to go double-action.  

Ray

• Thanks 1

You can always use a double action airbrush like a single action, with a proper setup. Therefore, a double action brush is always a better option. Contrary to the popular opinion, a single action brush is not for beginners, but is better suited for specific aplications.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2023 at 13:25, daneel said:

You can always use a double action airbrush like a single action, with a proper setup. Therefore, a double action brush is always a better option. Contrary to the popular opinion, a single action brush is not for beginners, but is better suited for specific aplications.

so its a double action, and practise!! (sorry for delay, been away)!!

Cheers Daneel

On 15/08/2023 at 12:52, Ray_W said:

Hi Terry,

I noticed not many replies and I suppose that is because most of us are using double action. I was interested though in the reasons for choosing the single action. In terms of hand size the geometry on a normal Iwata around the trigger portion and area you grip appears to be the same. However, you might have an inability to move your finger in both the vertical and horizontal plane and for that reason are looking at a simple depression. The reason I say this is my first recommendation to anyone buying an airbrush is to go double-action.  

Ray

Hi Ray

Explanations taken in!! What did you use when you started? good make recommendation?

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terryc said:

Hi Ray

Explanations taken in!! What did you use when you started? good make recommendation?

Cheers

Terry

Hi Terry,

In this order paint brush (many years), Testors Aztec (don't go there), Iwata HP-CS.

I am a bit biased with Iwata because I have used them for more than 15 years with no issue. I think the HP-CS gravity feed, double-action, 0.35 mm needle is a great starting airbrush giving good paint volume for coverage and still reasonable for fine detail such as Luftwaffe mottling (I model in1/48). Very easy cleaning. The larger needle is also more tolerant of thinning ratios and less tip dry while you're getting this aspect sorted. The HP-CS is still my go to air brush after all those years. I have added other air brushes and yet that one air brush did it all. Others here on Britmodeller will also give recommendations. It is a regular question that comes up. Go for the best you can afford. 

Ray

• Like 1

Hi Ray. Thanks for that. Nothing better than to have a recommendation!! Must be a bit time consuming for you experts but it’s fascinating for us beginners, so many out there!!! Thanks again Ray.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terryc said:

but it’s fascinating for us beginners

I love my air brushes. Newcomers may be hesitant to take the plunge yet the skills are acquired quickly. Two biggest things to learn are trigger control (practice) and thinning ratios (experimentation and experience). The latter can be challenging with the plethora of different paints, different chemistries, and behavior. Thankfully, lots of good advice here on Britmodeller.

Mistakes will be made, recoveries are half the fun. 

Ray

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with the other posters and would also recommend the Iwata although my favourite is the eclipse given its ease of cleaning but overall Iwata have never let me down. The eclipse shoots everything you throw at it and is really easy to clean with the removable nozzle system. If you can get a good deal the procons are fantastic too I have the 0.5mm trigger gun from them which was about 2/3 price of the identical Iwata (made in same factory along with sparnax afaik) it’s fantastic for large areas although you really get through paint with it!

I was also curious about single action when I started and bought one of the single action procons which are basically the revelations but in a lighter aluminium body. Tbh used it once or twice but use the eclipse every day just about. Had issues with the needle always being open so if you don’t screw it all the way in and put the gun down in a holder it tends to leak out past the nozzle so L you have to screw the needle right in anyway which kind of negates the point of having the fixed needle preset to where you need it.