Space Cutter. The phoenix rising from garbage [approx. 60 cm DIY spaceship]

voozet

I was wondering for a long time what to build in this GB. The problem was primarily an excess of ideas, so selection based on my own limitations was necessary. I love building models from scratch, mainly using polystyrene sheets. This material makes all rounded, arched and curved surfaces virtually beyond my reach which is why most of my SF models have very "classic" shapes. They are like 80's Volvos but in zero gravity 😝

So it will be this time. A spaceship full of sharp edges and angles.

I also love spaceships that are vertical in shape, very tall, but short and narrow like a knife stuck in the ground. This one will be like that too, hence the name: Space Cutter. Such a little pun.

And that's my "kit":

Lots of polystyrene in sheets (restocking shipment just arrived).

spacer.png

Engine module. The only rounded element for now.

These are used filters for coffee machine emptied of carbon insert. Unfortunately, they are made of polyethylene, which IMO is a terrible material for modeling, because it is very difficult to glue and paint. But it has a nice shape.

spacer.png

And this is the title phoenix rising from garbage. An incomplete 1:35 Jagdtiger I got as a bonus when buying modeling parts. Someone assembled it and painted years ago, which made it easier to separate the hull parts. I'm only going to use the top part.

spacer.png

Maybe it's hard to imagine anything further from a spaceship than a German World War II tank but I will try to meet this challenge 😝

In the photo below is a sketch of the goal I want to achieve. The tank hull is just a shortcut. Instead of building frame for a deck in the middle of the ship, I'm going to use this element. I'll turn it 180 degrees and cover with HIPS panels and greebles to mask the characteristic shape, and I think it will be ok.

A sketch is not a blueprint, but rather a general concept. At the end of this work, my spaceship will certainly look a little different. Or even more than a little.

However, taking into account the proportions of the ship's elements and the size of the tank's hull, I estimate that the entire model will be about 60 centimeters high.

spacer.png

Several boxes of greebles collected over the years will provide the necessary details.

spacer.png

Maybe I'll use some parts of this as well (another bonus). I'm particularly tempted by the cannon's resemblance to a space telescope.

spacer.png

All right. One more important thing. It will be a long and dangerous journey through the galaxy of my laziness.
There is a high risk that it will never end. Or it will end up with nothing 😉
Cheers, Wiesiek.

• Like 19

Fantastic, we've got our first greeble build :yahoo:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who, when sorting out the recycling, spends time weighing up whether each lid, cap, bottle or tube could be repurposed on a spaceship model.

Best of luck Wiesiek, can't wait to see what you come up with :popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

bring it on, warp 5!

I'm not sure this ship will be able to reach that speed. Until recently, his engines were filled with charcoal or something 🙂

2 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Reminds of the bad guy ship from a Solo Story, the Homeworld mothership and the cruisers from Foundation

I checked them because I only know/remember Foundation Imperial cruisers. Solo's First Light is really great. Earlier, I looked at a lot of pictures on the internet looking for inspiration, but somehow I missed it.

1 hour ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who, when sorting out the recycling, spends time weighing up whether each lid, cap, bottle or tube could be repurposed on a spaceship model.

Long live the trash bash 😉

I can also recommend cartridges for laser printers. Particularly large ones, for professional devices. They usually have a nice shape and lots of flaps and gears.

spacer.png

And most importantly: they are made of polystyrene (PS). This means that they can be glued with ordinary modeling glue.

spacer.png
Of course they also have disadvantages: it is difficult to remove toner residue from them. 🤣

• Like 6

Welcome and this will be awesome. 

Re the speed you can attain from coffee-fuelled engines, if the cup of tea that powered the Improbability Drive is anything to go by, you might actually exceed warp five.

But only if you use single source beans ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Given the amazing things you've been achieving with your Lovecraft-inspired build, I’m definitely going to follow this one, Wiesiek

James

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comments. I wish I had your confidence in my abilities 😉

The first day after the start of GB ended with a moderate success. I wasted some time and plastic building a superstructure on the Jagdtiger's hull, and it looks so-so. I'll have to cover it with another layer of styrene.

But I also managed to do some things well. I have no idea what that gray spindly thing I glued on both sides of the hull is but it looks good.

spacer.png

The roof of the turret has plenty of hatches and periscopes. I wasn't able to remove them, and I need a flat surface in this place because this is where the engines and the lower wing will be mounted. So first, I glued random pieces of styrene there and glued a leveling plate to them. The space between this and the turet will be a bit visible (you can see it in the top picture), so I added some small cubes to spice things up.

spacer.png

The shape of the engines required simplification. I cut off the part with the holes through which I had previously removed the charcoal. I plugged the hole with pieces of styrene. This will greatly simplify the addition of any greebles.

spacer.png

There will be a hangar bay at the back of the spaceship. I'm considering leaving the hatch open and maybe even making some tiny fighters. But I'm a realist: I might not have the energy for it 🤣

spacer.png

And this is a structure that facilitates planning the mutual position of the ship's elements. This allows me to properly compose the proportions, and at the same time minimizes the risk of mismatching parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for watching.

Wiesiek.

• Like 13

That's already looking impressive, Wiesiek. The basic hull without the engines reminds me a bit of a classic-Trek-style shuttlecraft, but not in a bad way :)

James

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 81-er said:

The basic hull without the engines reminds me a bit of a classic-Trek-style shuttlecraft, but not in a bad way

I've never seen them, I must admit. I've watched maybe three episodes of Star Trek in my entire life 🙂. In my youth, it were beyond my reach because I lived in a country where there were two television channels, both state-controlled, both avoiding Western productions. And when I grew up, communism died, and Star Trek flew onto the screens, somehow it failed to grab my attention 🤔

11 hours ago, diases said:

I’ve got a few full internal tank kits, that I’ll probably never build, and a couple of panthers with both clear and solid hull uppers.

When using them, the biggest problem is scale. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use most of my greebles, because the difference in scale is too big. Most 1:35 vehicle parts look bad in a spaceship that is roughly 1:144.

--------------------------

It turned out that the engines needed to be improved. Like I said, it's polyethylene. Cracks began to appear in the place of gluing. That's why I usually avoid this type of plastic. I added a strip of polystyrene to increase the contact area between PE and PS.

spacer.png

In the front part of the deck I added a small structure with an undetermined purpose. Now I'm experimenting with shapes of plates which will cover up the bad looking sides of the superstructure. For now, they are just pieces of plastic, of course they will have panels and details. The photo below also shows the engine after modernization, and with fastening elements.

spacer.png

I also made an element that will be parallel to the engine cover of the Jagdtiger. I want to keep all the meshes, flaps and lids that are in the vehicle but I don't want them to be fully visible. This thing will partially cover them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is how it's supposed to look like.

spacer.png

As you can see in the photo below, I removed the back wall from the Jagdtiger's turret. I wanted this place to be open.

spacer.png

But not too much open. Therefore, I will put the removed wall inside, after a little modification. I need to paint it before I close the hull. I started with the primer.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Wiesiek.

• Like 10

I need to finish the inside of the hangar bay first. Once I glue the roof, it will be virtually impossible to paint the inside. To tell the truth, even without a roof, it won't be easy 🙂. I will try to paint at least some of the elements before before putting them inside.

Do you remember the filters for the coffee machine? When I emptied them, there was something like this inside.

spacer.png

Initially, I wanted to use it to build engines, but the effect was not satisfactory. The fibrous membrane inside was indelible, and any cover made it no longer look like part of the engine. This thing caught my eye again when I was looking for something to build a hatch/airlock inside the hangar. for this purpose, this thing seemed perfect to me. At least with a slight modification.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The inside of the hangar will be visible only through the main door/gate, so probably a lot of details on the side walls will be out of sight.

spacer.png

Especially that I want to slightly change the shape of the gate, and after the changes the opening will be smaller.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Out of curiosity, have you any plans to add lighting?

Definitely not 🙂

I've never done it, and my knowledge of electricity is pretty much nonexistent.

Besides, this project is already starting to expand dangerously. Another element would be too much, and it would almost certainly result in the failure of the whole work.

• Like 1

I’m gonna follow this one too, I’m a bit like your weird stalker at the moment but I really love your work, its brilliant how you get these ideas of items to use/up cycle. This one already looks to have taken shape fast. 
Good luck with the rest,

Paul

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2023 at 14:17, Muchmirth said:

I’m gonna follow this one too, I’m a bit like your weird stalker at the moment

This is definitely an accepted form of stalking, and even desirable given the nature of this forum 😉

-----------

I'm a bit stuck building the open sectors of the main deck interior. The more I look at the pieces I've done so far, the less I like them (I mean a bulkhead with pipes and a projecting platform, parallel to the engine cover). IMO they are too different in style from what I want to achieve. It is possible that I will build it again, but in a different way.

In the meantime, I did something else to gain a fresh perspective:

Let's call it the upper deck or the upper section. The top "wing" will be mounted on it. (Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos during work, so the pics are like in a meme about learning how to draw an owl 🤣 )

The initial construction is an extension of the main/mid deck roof.

spacer.png

And here is the current stage of construction, as you can see: much more advanced. The main parts are put together only temporarily, without glue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the meantime, I've also added side shields to the rear of the main deck.

spacer.png

It started to look like some Russian oligarch's yacht, so I decided to add wing-like platforms to the sides of the upper section. This is the first phase of building them, i.e. rough shaping of the surface. I'm going to use rounded fan guards (?) from some German tank for this.

spacer.png

But there is a much more important task on the horizon: a battle against the forces of chaos that have imperceptibly taken over my workbench. They always do, but when I build from scratch and use kitbash technique, it happens instantly. After a few days or so, I can't find anything in this mess. When I browse through the WIP threads on this forum, I often wonder: How is it possible for people to have such clean workbenches? I am not capable of that....

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Wiesiek.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Still really liking the direction this is going in. It is quite a large construction. I also like the angled edges you give your plasticard cuts, the soft/rounded edges to corners etc gives it a more discernible spaceship appearances. 
Paul

• Like 1