HATAKA HTK AS65 Modern Finnish Army AFV Acrylic paint set

MickE

Hi All

Has anyone used the Hataka HTK AS65 Modern Finnish Army AFV Acrylic paint set?

If so what was your experience with it?

Back when Hataka first produced their paint sets I bought the Modern French AFV set and it was awful! The paint was so translucent that you had to put so many light coats on and they would inevitably run. I tried all sorts of thinner from water to Lifecolor and it was all the same.

I even tried spraying it neat and it was still bad.

I see they do the set in lacquer but it is another four quid extra so I would prefer to get the acrylic set.

Regards

Mick

I've had similar experiences with Hataka red line paints, but I actually like that they're translucent & required multiple thin layers 😅 I use them straight from the bottle with my airbrush set to a low psi & give each coat some time to dry before applying the next one. My only complaint would be that you need to use a lot of paint so a bottle doesn't last that long.

• Thanks 1

I used their Polish & Hungarian WW2 armour paint sets about 4 years ago for a few builds. I was happy with the results so I bought a few more sets (Japanese, British, Italian) in the following years but I haven't got around to trying them yet. 

• Thanks 1

I've used the Japanese red line set and didn't have any problems with the airbrush but I do remember having to adjust my pressure/thinning versus my usual Vallejo model air.

I recently used their polish orange line lacquer set thinned with Mr levelling thinner and would have no problems using these again they sprayed very well.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MickE said:

Thanks Sardaukar

Would you say that the Lacquers were better? If so are they worth the £4 extra?

I've only recently gotten into lacquers the last few months, as long as you are happy with the draw backs (the stench, wearing a respirator) I'd go for the lacquers, I found them better for free handing camo especially.

Thanks, I have used their IRR Green lacquer on my Chieftain Marsman, which I found was good.

Like you I do use Vallejo but, then again also use MrColor and Tamiya so am used to having to spray out I the garage using a spray booth and painter's spray mask.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MickE said:

Thanks, I have used their IRR Green lacquer on my Chieftain Marsman, which I found was good.

Like you I do use Vallejo but, then again also use MrColor and Tamiya so am used to having to spray out I the garage using a spray booth and painter's spray mask.

I had a problem with spraying model Air through my .2 mm H&S with tip drying, I usually only use that airbrush with lacquers or lacquer thinned paint now and its no issue. Usually use a bigger needle for water based acrylics now although a spot of flow improver helps a fair bit.

• Like 1

I used the Hataka IDF redline colours, didn’t have a problem with coverage and only required one coat, however it is not the easiest paint to work with, they seem to require a lot of mixing with an actual stirring tool and have an odd consistency that I only use them in my cheap airbrush, tip drying is common and not all thinners work, I had problems with levelling fluid actually thickening the paint!

• Thanks 1

Sardaukar

I do have similar problems with my H&S Infinity for both the 0.2 and 0.4 tips and I have to thin  the paint down a lot more than I need to do with my ageing Iwata Eclipse. 

Old Pro

Sounds like I should dump up the extra cash and go for the Orange line Lacquer paints.