RAF Weather Watcher ++ Finished ++

CliffB

Hi all

I'd like to join with this 1/200 scale kit from Academy please.

P1130714.jpg

It's a simple kit, but the parts are nicely moulded.  The decals look nice too, although I'll only be using the windows.

P1130715.jpg

The kit comes without any undercarriage and is intended to built built 'wheels up' (a stand is provided).

A previous owner of my kit was obviously intending to fit an undercarriage using gear from some other aircraft (definitely not a B-17), and has ground away the retracted wheel from one wing.

P1130716.jpg

As I'll be going back to the 'in flight' pose, I'll need to reinstate the missing wheel.

Keen to build an RAF aircraft, I've been looking for some suitable schemes and come across the decal sheet for 241 (MET) Squadron, based in Iceland.  I'm attracted by the nose art (is this unusual on RAF Forts?), in particular 'Hekla Hettie' (I know an annoying cat called Hettie).  Here's a link to the decal sheet.  I'll need to recreate these markings in 1/200.

Otherwise, the only modification that I think I'll need to make is to remove the ventral ball turret.  I'm no expert though, so please do set me straight if necessary :thumbsup2:.

Cheers

• Like 6

That's a good choice, Cliff, she's one of the possibilities for my 251sqn build (I have that decal sheet). I've got some close-up photos of her nose art in the B-17 in Coastal Command Service book, if you like I'll take a scan and PM you. The main features of the 251 Fortresses are the astrodome, only small side windows in the nose, no ball turret (as you mentioned) and only guns in the top turret and the tail. Depending on the time period you want to model, the top turret may be removed as well (along with the tail guns) towards the end of the war.

James

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome @vppelt68 :)

19 hours ago, 81-er said:

I've got some close-up photos of her nose art in the B-17 in Coastal Command Service book, if you like I'll take a scan and PM you.

Thanks for your info on the 251 Fortresses James - just what I needed :thumbsup2:.  Thanks too for your offer re the nose art (I'll PM you) - one of the good things about these Coastal Command schemes is that the white makes it so much easier to use DIY decals!

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Hope the repair work goes well would a 1/72 scale mainwheel replace the missing bit?

Ha ha!  I take your point, but it's not that bad :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi all.

There's not much to see, but I wanted to demonstrate that I have at least made a start.  

Two parts stuck together!

P1130722.jpg

Underneath, I've sawn off the turret and backed the resulting hole (plus the one for the stand), with card.  Filling to follow.

As you can see, some of the panel lines don't line up underneath, but I can live with that :thumbsup2:.

P1130724.jpg

I won't be using the stand now because, when looking for something else in my spares box, I came across these two ( @SleeperService look away now ;)).

P1130725.jpg

They just shouted B-17 at me!  They're some home-made bits that came with a spares-or-repair Avro Tudor model that I bought last year.  They're simply pieces of bent wire and a couple of O-rings.  I can either tidy them up  or make new ones - either way, my Fortress should now have wheels :)

I'm happier with this, as the kit has some nice props and when I model an aircraft 'in-flight' (as I was proposing to do with this one), I always cut off its prop blades.  This would have been a bit of a waste/shame.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CliffB said:

I won't be using the stand now because, when looking for something else in my spares box, I came across these two ( @SleeperService look away now ;)).

I'm all good for recycling and it's 1/200 after all. I've seen worse panel misalignment on modern kits. That underside turret was pretty poor though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update.

The flying surfaces have been added and I've also re-profiled the rear face of the dorsal turret, to give it a slope.  The white circle will form the base of a new astrodome.

P1130733.jpg

Underneath, the unwanted gaps have been filled and I've drilled pilot holes for the u/c legs and a new direction finding 'teardrop' (which I'll need to source from somewhere).  Sorry, but there'll be no u/c bays on this one!

P1130734.jpg

Next up will be prepping the engine cowlings and props, and then it will be out with the primer (white, to save me painting that again later).

Cheers

• Like 3

And finally we have a scheme...

P1130746.jpg

It's not perfect (I can already see that I've over-done the de-icing boots), but it could be worse ;).

Decals next, plus painting in the glazing.

Cheers

• Like 4

And here we are finished :)

P1130747.jpg

There's plenty to criticise (not least the flattened windscreens :confused:), but overall I'm pleased with how it's turned out.  As usual with 1/200 stuff, things look better in the flesh than they do when magnified on a screen!

You may be able to notice that I've ended up going with Borganes Bess, rather than my original choice of Hekla Hettie (than latter's delicate nose art being virtually invisible in 1/200).  For those who may not know (and I didn't), Borganes is an Icelandic town and Hekla is an Icelandic volcano.

Talking of decals, thanks again to @81-er for helping me out with these :cheers:

Thanks also to our two stalwart hosts and to everyone else who supported my build.  Much appreciated.

Cheers

• Like 8

• CliffB changed the title to RAF Weather Watcher ++ Finished ++
17 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

A very nice job, Cliff! I didn't know Humbrol makes that large tins of paint :giggle:

V-P

I think he's just made up a new label for a tin of Dulux to trick us all ;) 

James

• Haha 4