Two, Pipers, an Auster and a Basset, both Cubs, Basset and Auster now finished.

1 minute ago, AliGauld said:

Seconded.:wicked:

:D Seriously, though, I'm going to get one of my own to keep my in-use tools, glues and paints in to clear my bench a bit. I suppose it would make a reasonable mini spray booth as well :hmmm:

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

:D Seriously, though, I'm going to get one of my own to keep my in-use tools, glues and paints in to clear my bench a bit. I suppose it would make a reasonable mini spray booth as well :hmmm:

Yes they are very functional and come in a range of scale sizes.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

A bit more Done to the Auster with the decals on, rigging on the tailplane, and wheels on.  Wing stripes painted on the undersides,  tried to make them slightly messy, that is planned honest.

spacer.png

Exhausts added from brass tube

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also started this after the Basset got finished, but having looked at @rob Lyttle s thread I decided to leave to one side until the informal GB for the Dallachy Beaufighter is finished as there is some plastic surgery to do on the undercarriage bays.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 12

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

some plastic surgery to do on the undercarriage bays.

Oh yeah...... little bit of shuffling around recommended for the main gears 💡

Are those resin engines? Silly question really 🤣......they ain't grey styrene, that's for sure 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Oh yeah...... little bit of shuffling around recommended for the main gears 💡

Are those resin engines? Silly question really 🤣......they ain't grey styrene, that's for sure 

Thanks Rob, yes they are resin engines from Air Graphic Models.   I have drilled out the jet pipes and when cleaning up took a bit of the pipe out unfortunately so need to consider how to repair that🙄

Chris

• Like 1

I think you captured the look of real invasion stripes perfectly, Chris.  Your brush work is just exemplary, a soft edged camo job better than my airbrushed efforts.  Brilliant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mark.au said:

I think you captured the look of real invasion stripes perfectly, Chris.  Your brush work is just exemplary, a soft edged camo job better than my airbrushed efforts.  Brilliant.

Thanks Mark, that's very kind, really pleased with how the stripes look, very nearly finished this one just a wash and the wings can go on , fingers crossed.

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Fantastic work there Chris.

I can only repeat what has been said.

Exemplary brush work.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair hopefully will get the Auster over the line this week.

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Lovely work on the Auster, and the stripes look spot on!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, pleased with how this one is looking now.

Chris

• Like 2

Now keenly interested to see how you proceed with the Dominie!  There's a fair bit of modification work involved, and you've gotten a head start with the Air Graphics resin engines, which are superb little things, so much so I bought two sets, plus the nose radome modification.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Now keenly interested to see how you proceed with the Dominie!  There's a fair bit of modification work involved, and you've gotten a head start with the Air Graphics resin engines, which are superb little things, so much so I bought two sets, plus the nose radome modification.

Thanks TJK, I saw your input on Robs thread of the civilian version, very helpful.  I will move the main UC bays forward to  get a better flap area and was going to make an IP.

Yes ghe engines are lovely.  I didn't get the nose radome mod though as was going to do the kit option for the red  white and grey aircraft.

Will be slow as just started am informal GB with a Dallachy Beaufighter  build.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 2

Hi all very nearly there with the Auster just hot to paint the aerials Handles on Fuselage,  venturi and the underside of the wing struts in the stripes although I might see if I can locate an example online with that done first.

Handles and aerials are brass rod and the venturi is a resin one not quite right fir this aircraft but the one supplied in the kit was in half relief one side was completely missing!!! Footpegs are on too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

The Auster is looking fantastic, Chris, you must be well pleased with how its turned out. Superb!

Cheers mate, 

Mark 

Thanks Mark, yes we'll chuffed with it, looking forward to getting it over the line, so I can concentrate on the Beaufighters.

39 minutes ago, Courageous said:

The Auster is looking very nice Chris. The Diminie is also looking rather nice, not that I know much about the aircraft.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I thought I would start the Dominie as a simple build🙄 famous last words  😀 I have to move the main undercarriage legs forward to get better flappage area.  Hopefully shouldn't be too bad, also need to build an IP then can close up the fuselage.  I know nothing of the type as well, just love the look of it really.😄

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marvinneko said:

You do such a great job on these that when I see a kit like the cub or basset at the store, I'm tempted to buy it purely because of what I saw you do with it. Then I remember I have plenty to build already!

Thanks David, that is very kind, I am the same too, although often, I cannot resist the temptation myself, much to SWMBO'S annoyance🙄

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is beautiful work on your part.  

Regarding the Dominie, one other thing you should do is to adjust the fit of the RH over-wing escape hatch.  As molded, the window in the hatch is not in line with the other windows.  Simple solution: reverse the order of the windows on the RH side, using the 3-window piece, to ensure you have proper alignment, then modify the hatch accordingly to fit the window line.  Also, be sure to add a reinforcement strip top and bottom of the hatch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a lovely little aeroplane the Auster is, looking very stylish in those stripes.

I've had a soft spot for Austers since reading all the Biggles "Special Air Police" stories over half a century ago!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1