To the Few... September1939 to November 1940 - 1 Sep to 3 Dec 2024

LorenSharp

9ts been a few years since we had a GB for the time in and around the Battle of Britain. But I want to do something a little different and more varied. So here goes, Aircraft flown from the invasion of Poland in 1939 to  @ovember  1940in  U.K./Europe. Now the varied is this, ANY  fighter OR bomber is eligible. So Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, the Northern Countries, Finland, Netherlands etc. British heavies , like the Manchester and  tirling and Halifax(just barely)  are ok, but Lancaster well after September 15th in 1941.  I know the Italians didn't contribute until October 29th, but they seemed to always get excluded so they get a "pass" because they did manage to drop a few bombs on Britain, though ineffectual and got mauled in the process. Free French,, Czech, Belgium, Polish are included too. Oh, and before anyone asks, Coastal Command and F.A.A. are added to the fray as well. There will probably be other additions  as more knowledgeable builders than I will, hopefully, recommend additional  subjects. So anyone up for this? Bueller.... Bueller.... Bueller....

Plus as an extra special, limited time only, spare no expense. ALL Military equipment used. But wait there's MORE.... Air/Sea Rescue( Plane and Ship.) I mean if you want to show a flat bed transport lorry with a Hurricane fuselage heading for final assembly go for it. A Sunderland racing a German S boot to a downed pilot. be my guest. The sky's  ( and the ground, and the sea.)the limit

1. @LorenSharp

2. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

3. @Heather Kay

4. @franky boy

5.  @modelling minion

6.  @Jb65rams

7.  @Marklo

8. @Beardybloke

9. @TonyW

10. @Rafwaffe

11. @TEMPESTMK5

12. @Old Man

13. @dnl42

14. @Adam Poultney

15. @JOCKNEY

16. @vppelt68

17.  @Mattp7999

18. @Longbow

19. @rafalbert

20.   @Zephyr91

21. @Geo1966

22. @jean

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Guys, you're both added.

If you didn't have something wonderous in the stash Heather I'd have to say "Who are you and what have you done with Heather!":evil_laugh:

• Haha 1

Add me to the list please.

With total lack of imagination, my entry will probably be a Spitfire.
Picked up the Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48 Spitfire Mk1a at Flying Legends a couple of weeks ago. 3 of the 4 decal options will qualify for this time period.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

This is an era that really should have more representation in my cabinet and I have plenty in the stash to suit too; Blenheim, Hurricane, Defiant, Spitfire, CR-42, Me-109, Me-110, Gladiator...... you get the picture, so yes please sign me up Loren.

🇺🇦

10 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Add me to the list please.

With total lack of imagination, my entry will probably be a Spitfire.
Picked up the Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48 Spitfire Mk1a at Flying Legends a couple of weeks ago. 3 of the 4 decal options will qualify for this time period.

So let it be written, so let it be done. Welcome aboard guys!

• Like 1

Definitely count me in, plenty of off beat aircraft from that era, actually now that I think of it I have an I-15 and an I-16 on the stash I was planning to do the I-15 in Chinese markings, would that be outside the remit of the GB?

And my second question, I also have a Mig 3 which was first flown in October 1940 would this be applicable?

Edited by Marklo

You are added Marklo. The I-15/16 would be fine if on the Finnish/Swedish fronts of late 1939. Chinese would be a bit too far. I wanted to keep this build on the Atlantic side. Now that being said, A GB covering say the Mediterranean , India/Burma, Chinese theaters say from early 1936 to say the end of 1941 might be a good idea too. Which I have a couple of subjects that work well for that. Hmmm. I have to plot think about that one. The Mig-3 would be fine for this GB well within the time line.

• 2 weeks later...

The dates of WW2 is a very complex subject, arguably it started with the Japanese invasion of Manchuria if you’re Asian, the invasion of Poland if you’re European or the attack on pearl harbour, and  ended in 1945 or 1989 if you’re Polish. 

But yes we do need to have practical limits for a GB ‘36 to ‘41 encompasses quite a bit of history.  Your original dates even restricted to the European theatre still gives a high range of subjects and I still more than a few  spplicsble kits in the stash :) 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Marklo said:

The dates of WW2 is a very complex subject, arguably it started with the Japanese invasion of Manchuria if you’re Asian, the invasion of Poland if you’re European or the attack on pearl harbour, and  ended in 1945 or 1989 if you’re Polish. 

But yes we do need to have practical limits for a GB ‘36 to ‘41 encompasses quite a bit of history.  Your original dates even restricted to the European theatre still gives a high range of subjects and I still more than a few  spplicsble kits in the stash :) 

Good.:thumbsup: Now just have to convince another 23 to join in the fray. I suppose I could offer anyone who joins a free beer, @JOCKNEY style, but since I'm cheap it would be just one beer, and everyone would have to share it.:drink:

• Haha 1

I'm in - I've got an Arma Mk.I Hurricane and an Airfix Mk.I Spit (middle of Lidl special) that are both earmarked for BoB colours.

If I happen to accidentally build them all, I'll obviously be forced to buy the Do17Z  and/or Bf110C that I've been putting off due to delicate stash-size negotiations...

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Dont forget the invasion of Somalia and Ethiopia by the Italian's in 1935 ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Count me in please.

I have a 1.48 Tamiya Mk1 Spitfire that has been waiting for just this moment.

If the modelling gods smile at me, I might also get a really early kit started and finished. A 1.48 Chingford Model Airodrome Fairey Battle. It's a solid scale wooden kit that has appeared at the kick off of more than one GB. It's never progresses any further for one reason or another. Maybe this time it will actually get started?

IMG-7095.jpg

• Like 4

You got it Tony! And when we get through the bunfight and make our slot, I insist you get on with the "Battle of the Battle" Almost sounds like a topic heading to me.:whistle:

• Thanks 1