Ok space cadets, apologies for the LOS of late, earthbound life has just been getting in the way. I've not made a huge amount of progress, but here's where we're at so far.

The hull and wings have been given some Flory Grime and Dark Dirt washes. I've started tackling the bird motif decoration on the underside of the wings. The instructions call for red, but in keeping with this toned down muted look that I'm going for, I've opted for orangey browns. I opted to use Abteilung 502 oils dotted on and blended together, tackling each panel individually for some variation. It's taken a lot of time, but was more preferable to masking and spraying. This is how it looks so far:

okdY7OM.jpg

Still got the outer panels to go ... and the other wing. A bit of Starship Filth was also been applied to a few panels here and there.

This ring that sits on the front of the hull (I think it's something to do with the cloak) has been painted in a pale red:

yaSiVH1.jpg

I've finally got around to scratching building the bits that I lobbed off the wings. There were two 'prongs' on each wing next to the cannon (possibly they are meant to be targeting sensors?) so I've replicated them with some 1.3mm styrene rod with 3mm beads (sourced from Hobbycraft) stuck on the end:

zZ15TVs.jpg

Holes were drilled into the wingtip fairings and they'll slot in like so (not the best pic TBH):

I1NTNMd.jpg

They will be a lot shorter, I'll cut the length after I've painted them.   

Next job will be the cannons and continuing with the wing undersides. Qapla’!

This build is brought to you in association with Prune Juice — a warrior's drink

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Now then space cadets, a little progress has been made , though it's looking likely that the only way I'm going to be able to get this build done in time is by slingshotting around the sun to travel back in time...

The painting of the undersides of the wings was finally completed. It's an interesting effect, though I think I should have made the colour difference a little more subtle.

zO0qNlv.jpg

It's not all that far off from final assembly. The main issue that's holding things up has been the painting of the engine clear piece. Here's where I'm at:

d6mRMbo.jpg

I painted the inside with layers of Tamiya clear yellow, orange and red, topped off with white to solidify the effect – which I'm very pleased with, considering it's the first time I've tried such trickery. The chore of painting the outside detail has begun – with a thin layer of AK 3rd Gen primer hand painted (I couldn't face masking and spraying it). I'll need to revisit it with a steel colour and then gently scrape off any stray paint with a dampened cocktail stick.

Other bits that I've seemingly neglected to photograph are the stand that's been painted with AK Extreme metals, and the scratch built cannons (very much simplified from the originals, as time was running out to improvise something more elaborate).

I'm hoping to get the bulk of the construction complete this week, though as I'm away this weekend, it's not going to be crashing into the gallery any time soon.

Qapla’!

This build is brought to you in association with Prune Juice — a warrior's drink™

• Like 8