Super Etendard

Aeronavale’s main air base is at Hyeres and the French Fleet based at nearby Toulon, both firmly on the Côte d’Azur in Southern France.  The kit is a fairly elderly Heller boxing but it’s quite reasonably moulded. 

resized_02ac9e84-9412-4218-8128-888d7946

Two grey plastic sprues, and a small clear one with the canopy

resized_2cb3d774-1209-4cff-91eb-05c2ec0c

A simple instruction sheet, which matches the vintage nature of the kit. 

resized_af57ac1d-7b29-41b1-aaf3-48151b80

Colour call out and transfers for two Aeronavale aircraft. The upper colour call out is a mix of paints but it should be Blue Gris Fonce, Dark Blue Grey. I’ve got some somewhere but Gunship Grey is close. I don’t think Extra Dark Sea Grey is quite right, too dark and not blue enough. Anyway, that’s a bit away so probably best to start painting the interior parts and getting some glue on. 

resized_83f83b9d-816b-4bf0-9842-e5fa3b6e

resized_698a8945-8577-4642-a12e-cc064df6

• Like 7

Such a lovely little kit. I built it (well an Airfix boxing) a little earlier in the year for the Dassault GB. Not sure there’s much you can learn from my build, but the thread is here FWIW:

I actually went for EDSG for the darker colour, which I was happy with.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, enjoy!

Gerard

9 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Such a lovely little kit. I built it (well an Airfix boxing) a little earlier in the year for the Dassault GB. Not sure there’s much you can learn from my build, but the thread is here FWIW:

I actually went for EDSG for the darker colour, which I was happy with.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, enjoy!

Gerard

Thanks Gerard, I’ve had a look at your build and it’s really helpful with loads of advice. Excellent finish to the kit I must say as well. Great job.

I’ll be doing the Blue Gris Fonce over white version rather than the later two tone blue grey that you did so well. I’m hopeful that the Heller transfers will have stood the test of time, they do look a bit better than the Airfix ones you had to replace. However that’s a little away still and I’ll get one with slapping some paint onto the interior parts first. 

• Like 1

A bit of paint on the interior parts. Some cleaning up is still required and the ejection seat is not that great. However, the cockpit opening is small and not much will be seen. I’ll make up some seat belts from Tamiya tape which should suffice. There’s a transfer for the IP so that’ll add a bit more colour. 

resized_d5089108-517e-4a93-a777-4323da9f

The intake openings have nothing behind them but again they’re narrow and the exhaust is blanked off so there shouldn’t be a ‘see through’. Some black paint at the front to mask the lack of detail will work hopefully. 

• Like 3

On 05/08/2023 at 22:47, 825 said:

Thanks Gerard, I’ve had a look at your build and it’s really helpful with loads of advice. Excellent finish to the kit I must say as well. Great job.

I’ll be doing the Blue Gris Fonce over white version rather than the later two tone blue grey that you did so well.

It was a fun kit to build, and for me at least there’s definitely a correlation between how enjoyable the kit is and how the end result turns out.

Enjoy yours, I’m looking forward to seeing how yours turn out in the grey on white scheme - such a pretty little aeroplane!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit basically done, and to be honest nothing really can be seen. I’ve loaded up the front end with liquid lead to stop it being a tail sitter. The space in front of the cockpit is limited so I’ve added a bit more behind the cockpit. 

resized_ab631641-01b7-4212-a307-d985f838

• Like 3

Fuselage closed up, fit is pretty good though some tape was needed to keep it together. 

resized_e6007f1c-132f-4e55-845e-fdb4daa9

Joint cleaned up which was less traumatic than expected. The fit was pretty good and although there was a seam it sanded out ok where the surface was featureless. The riveted tail section was more challenging, rather than sand and loose rivets, I carefully scraped the seam with a scalpel blade and then polished it with sanding sticks. Looks fine but I’ll wait and see what it’s like when we get to the paint stage. Then the tailplane added along with the flaps and intakes and the airframe is complete. 

resized_6d33fbfe-a280-4e6c-83ae-c098119a

There is a little bit of filler needed along the wing and intake joints but otherwise no more needed. 

• Like 6

Some white paint, Citadel’s Ceramite White, on the underside. It will need a few thin coats but it’s revealed a few bits that need tidied up. Also there’s holes for outboard pylons but none suppplied so they’ll need filled. 

resized_e28f9848-2830-4337-a59e-6c0a484b

I was going to pose the aircraft with the speed brakes open but a look through pictures on the internet suggest that they were only deployed on landing and are closed when on the ground. I will drill out the holes before I glue them into place. 

• Like 6

On 8/26/2023 at 1:47 AM, Wings unlevel said:

Just found this period correct Marine Nationale vide you might enjoy!

Thanks, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this. And a real boon for the detail. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Underside painting completed and a couple of coats of Klear to help make the paint robust enough for masking as well as a glossy finish for transfers down the line. It does look a bit variable but I think that’s reflection off the light. It’s ok to the eye. 

resized_82f55388-5a83-49d0-84e3-e30c3288

Canopy masked up and fitted, I did insert the ejection seat and gunsight before closing up. I’ll leave to firm up and then start masking in the next day or so. I’ve got work tomorrow so I’ll not have any time until Thursday. 

resized_57192bc2-c8fe-4e77-89c6-e51247e1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:14 AM, RidgeRunner said:

She is looking great! :)

The Super Etentard was a beautiful aircraft. It’s strange how the French aircraft of the 50s onwards were the complete opposite in their beauty compared to their prewar designs. 

• Like 5

Underside all masked off and a sealing coat of white paint brushed on. 

resized_41af7b74-615f-4c03-a457-c351eac2

Canopy frame painted. 

resized_4aeeae85-2f3c-4af4-a637-3e9960dd

• Like 5

A few coats of grey on now. I’ve used Xtracrylix Gunship Gray. It’ll take a few more coats but it’s looking OK. 

resized_c397085d-4e36-4f57-ac03-191990de

• Like 4

Main painting done and masking off. 

resized_ccd72a62-6fdd-466b-bbe8-552efb7b

There’s a little bit of tidying up needed. And I’m not happy about the white bit under the nose. It’s off centre and asymmetrical. A little bit of work needed. 

resized_338a877d-5dee-40ba-948c-cf02869c

• Like 9

Thanks @AdrianMF and @Bobby No Mac the SUE is looking nice and the grey/white scheme is quite fetching. 

A start with the transfers. The variation in the grey paint is from reflections not the paint which is nice and smooth. 

resized_f15b070d-ec6e-4e8f-9cb7-c43f7b5b

Unfortunately the masking tape for the black nose cone has taken off some of the grey. It’s not a difficult fix but frustrating. Also the nose wheel door moulding seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Again a simple fix, and probably will look better, but a pain. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, Wings unlevel said:

Nice! Looks like the decals are behaving?

Yes they were fine, I was surprised as they are a little old. Anyway the rest on. There’s a bit of silvering on the flaps but a coat of varnish should sort that out. 

resized_bd4474c3-a895-4132-bde8-0fd2c71b

There’s a little bit of touching up needed around the nose cone and then the undercarriage fitted. 

• Like 4