The Big Shack

I have been avoiding the big Sanger 1/48 Avro Shackleton in my stash for a while now.  I picked it up on eBay a few years back & then realised it was an MR2 version and I wanted the AEW2.  So some great service from Sanger provided me with the correct bits to build the one I wanted.  The Martine Reconnaissance version had been retired before I started going to airshows, although I think the Duxford one had not long arrived when I first went around 1976.  The AEW2 all over grey Shackletons were still sometimes seen around airshows until the late 80s.  I can remember the sound of those 4 Griffons, and one memorable time seeing one flying with the BBMF Lanc.

Anyway, the kit.  These are the two fuselages and wings with a 1/48 Airfix Lightning for scale

E2fwzWE.jpg

The detail isn’t actually too bad 

tZdP0bN.jpg

And the white metal parts.  As I said I have both MR and AEW parts.  So 24 separate prop blades & vacform hubs.  Nice and easy then!

oWPDC4i.jpg

This is not going to fall together over night!  I usually do lights & motors but even though technically a modified rc helicopter would give contra rotating props, I think the white metal blades would fly around the room!  Might still squeeze in some lights though

• Like 25

Wow, front row. Beer and popcorn at the ready. Monster of a kit. Looking forward to your progress. I haven’t done a full vac kit in my life. Done a few conversions so I’ll watch with interest.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Ohhhh Barside you're a very brave fellow. Like you I've got this one in the buried in the stash. I shall follow along to render whatever assistance is required up to and including "ARE you Freaking NUTS!" when needed.:evil_laugh: Now lets see some plastic getting cut. Remember Vacs "ain't nuthin' but a thang" and should turnout fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bar side said:

Cheers @LorenSharp - considering your current B-47 and B-2 exploits you should know a think or two about this stuff!  Might have some plastic being badly bullied later

At the very least you'll know what NOT to do following me.:innocent:

• Haha 2

That comes from learning stuff 30 years ago and not touching it again much.  Now at least I can make some use of it. In a haphazard way. I've had more print failures than successes.

• Like 1

I had a career in IT once - should be able to get my head around it but don’t even have a decent laptop these days. Tablets & work issue Chromebook (not a fan!) mainly

I'll agree with you there  on the Chrome book. When I first started learning 3D animation I had a difficult time also Then it hit me how to think in 3d Space as opposed to 2D space. Ironically, it was something I had brought up in Geometry class my year 12 in school. The teacher was describing the relationship of   "a point(picking a point out of thin air). doesn't exist. until you have 2 points, then you have a line, nice but that's all it is until you combine 2 lines to make a plane(more or less). Still 2D but ok. add a another plane and you now have 3D. So I asked the teacher to clarify something for me and he ok, So I said,"A single point doesn't exist, correct? He said" yes," Then ,I said, "It takes 2 points(which don't exist) to make a line?" Answering again though slower, because he's trying to figure out where I'm going with this "Yes". "And it takes 2 lines to make a plane(more or less) "again answered slower, "yes". So I summated ,"If points don't exist, then lines don't exist, and if lines don't exist, then planes don't exist. and if everything in the universe is made up of points, lines, and planes then WE don't exist." His answer, " You're absolutely correct. We don't exist.. NO need to be here Class dismissed." SO in other words once you see how everything is shaped, you start seeing how they can be built in the computer. I know long winded.

• Haha 1

Interesting logic! I work with a maths teacher who is a church minister at the weekends.  She would debate with you the maths of your existence and the reason for it Loren!

I remember doing the maths of global positioning systems as part of my university geography degree.  Any three satellites can locate the exact position and height of an object.  This was called the Virginia Slims project back then - the US military attempt to get a GPS down to the size of a pack of Virginia Slims cigarettes.  Throw in a basically spherical surface & it gets a bit more tricky.  Mercator projections anyone?  Technology has moved on a bit!

But the important thing was I got class let out early. Which meant I was a class hero for all of... 3 sec. It was the end of the school year and things were slow otherwise it probably wouldn't have flown. I was just making sure I understood that's what he was saying.:coolio: And being a cheeky son of a gun.

• Like 1

So plastic has been cut.  Starting with the ‘face’ of the Griffon.  These are the startling kit parts

Rj3S7kw.jpg

4 engines, 4 lots of parts.  Trying to look something like this

Rolls-Royce_Griffon_on_Shackleton.jpg

And this is the kit full scale illustration 

QseSDNh.jpg

And those two parts together and loosely located in the nacelle.

auAcaA9.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Back to the engines, my useful sheet of mesh has been out again, and I opened out the intake at the bottom.  That will get some mesh behind it, giving a bit of depth

8DzvQyu.jpg

Starting to get there.  The whole front needs to pull forwards bit as the upper disk should sit just ahead of the front of the cowling.  Sort of like this but further forward

fSyrUP5.jpg

• Like 19

Oh this is splendid! I remember building this well - you’ll have a lot of fun. I’ve got the MR3 in the stash too with some lovely resin engines courtesy of @Sebastien ready for mine when I eventually get around to it. Got to finish my 1/32nd one first…

Will follow with interest - I’ve lots of Shackleton references so shout if you need anything. 

• Like 3

Thanks @tomprobert I have been re-reading your build thread to build up the courage to start!  I was following your 1/32 build too.  Keep up the good work on your Vulcan though. A true ‘holy grail’ kit!

Like I said the front of the engine was a little too flat and so I will aim to pull it forward a bit more like this 

WXAetgP.jpg

So with one engine front made its mass production time

3gvP9rx.jpg

A bit of green stuff on the first one to smooth around the joins.  Steady progress

LTp2Tms.jpg

Now to the engine sides.  They have a noticeable open & closing ‘vent’ - would live to know the proper name for it.  It’s under the exhausts

WnwZCnK.jpg

You can see it here.  It’s on both sides of all 4 engines

63282_800.jpg

So out with the dremel

jKpsHNa.jpg

Basically the shape is a section of the side of a cone.  Two of them facing each other.  It’s not going to be pretty!

houiOGw.jpg

I also glued together one of the vacform prop hubs to see how it would look.  Something like this I guess 

ysDRq9O.jpg

So that is one coming along.  Three more to do.  Plus two of them need frames fitting for the undercarriage.  I can’t see this speed of progress keeping up for long.  Nice as summer breaks are I still have other things to do.

Speaking of which anyone else see the women’s football today?  Great game.  6-1 over China!

• Like 17