Rocketdyne F-1

I said a year ago in the chat that if this GB goes ahead I will try to build this, the Rocketdyne F-1 engine in 1/20 scale, and I will. I also said that my work and my life is sometimes very erratic, and it looks as if the months ahead of us for this GB may not be the best for my work bench time. My planning and memory has also not been the best as I have other projects going on my bench as well. But we will see, it is what it is.

There is this large box in front of me. I bought it some 10 years ago directly from Accurate Models, I think it was one of the very last samples they produced of this kit.

RF1_1.jpg

The box is filled with larger and smaller resin parts, white metal castings, laser cut acrylic parts, ABS beams, brass rods and decals. All parts for the yellow support stand are also included.

RF1_2.jpg

There is a CD with the instructions and several collections of reference photos. As I like to flick through papers I printed the instructions, 35 A4 pages. They appear very comprehensive with detailed assembly and painting suggestions. That will be good.

RF1_3.jpg

Lots of detail in all resin castings.

RF1_4.jpg

It quickly grows in size when stacking the main parts together.

RF1_5.jpg

So I have an ambition, we’ll see how far that will reach...

• Like 25

On 7/31/2023 at 11:42 PM, Bengalensis said:

I said a year ago in the chat that if this GB goes ahead I will try to build this, the Rocketdyne F-1 engine in 1/20 scale, and I will. I also said that my work and my life is sometimes very erratic, and it looks as if the months ahead of us for this GB may not be the best for my work bench time. My planning and memory has also not been the best as I have other projects going on my bench as well. But we will see, it is what it is.

There is this large box in front of me. I bought it some 10 years ago directly from Accurate Models, I think it was one of the very last samples they produced of this kit.

RF1_1.jpg

The box is filled with larger and smaller resin parts, white metal castings, laser cut acrylic parts, ABS beams, brass rods and decals. All parts for the yellow support stand are also included.

RF1_2.jpg

There is a CD with the instructions and several collections of reference photos. As I like to flick through papers I printed the instructions, 35 A4 pages. They appear very comprehensive with detailed assembly and painting suggestions. That will be good.

RF1_3.jpg

Lots of detail in all resin castings.

RF1_4.jpg

It quickly grows in size when stacking the main parts together.

RF1_5.jpg

So I have an ambition, we’ll see how far that will reach...

This looks amazing! Wishing you the best of luck with it. 

• Like 1

Wow, another kit I didn't know existed. From that last shot it looks like it could double up as a building from an alien cityscape too!

Hope you find the time to get it built :like:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

From what I understand these are no longer available, right? 

I'd love to get my hands on one...after I finish my ISS and my 1/72 Saturn V!

No, sadly they stopped making them about ten years ago, I think it was pretty much at the same time when I bought mine.

I have seen some references to ebay and some forum sale when searching, so I suppose the odd one can still turn up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have created some problems for myself due to my clumsiness of not getting stuff bought in time. “Yes, I’ll get that later…” I realise it now again when I’m reading through the instructions again. They are filled with very useful colour suggestions and mixing ratios, all for Model Master and especially their metalizers. Well, we know what happened; just a few years ago that whole paint range was discontinued. I got the kit in time just before it disappeared, but I had several years after I got it to get those paints, but did not. So now I must find another solution. Yes it’s possible, but very annoying.

• Sad 1

Oh, this looks like a fabulous project! 

You could take a look at Mr.Metal colors; brush on, buff, and clear coat. The buffing apparently allows finish variations. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Oh, this looks like a fabulous project! 

You could take a look at Mr.Metal colors; brush on, buff, and clear coat. The buffing apparently allows finish variations. 

Good idea, I hadn't thought of those. At least some of the suggested Model Master paints were that buffing type. And for some detailing it would good if it could be brushed. I will have a look.

On many occasions I can use Alclad that I'm well acquainted with, but I want to try something else, maybe MRP will get a chance.

10 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Can you use adhesive foils in some parts?

Possibly, but there's almost only complex surfaces. I'm sure I can get through with Alcad and other stuff, it was just a comfortable feeling reading the instructions and do what they say with Model Master. But it'll have to be sorted out.

I ordered lots of paint yesterday; all Mr Metal shades available, all grey shades of Humbrol and Revell enamels I didn't have, and all MRP "Alclad-like" metalizers. So I probably shall not have much except my own painting skills to blame 😎

Then there are so many different ways to interpret the painting of this beast that it's quite scary...

• Like 1

Can you spray Mr Metal Color?

I’ve only really used them for dry brushing, and the few attempts brush painting have given a nice shine, but erratic texture/brush marks.

Might be me applying incorrectly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diases said:

I’ve only really used them for dry brushing, and the few attempts brush painting have given a nice shine, but erratic texture/brush marks.

I don't really know to be honest, I will do some experiment.

I have read that they are meant for brushing, but I have also read posts on forums, when searching on the paint, that people have actually airbrushed it.

I'm sceptical to brushing it due to possible brush marks as you say, but I will have to test.

What a brilliant kit. You’re very lucky (or cunning) to have one! I assume you’re going to build it “naked” as opposed to

the as-flown configuration, where more or less the whole thing is covered in thick foil coated insulation? I guess you could make a full set of removable insulation blankets if you really wanted a rod for your own back!

best,

M.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, diases said:

I've only experimented with the, but they do brush well. Brushing is the key to some effects. And I have also seen discussions of airbrushing them. 

Mr.Hobby's application page.

• Like 1

That's superbly detailed, Jorgen :) Probably a little late, but I've had good results with the AK Xtreme Metals range. They spray as nicely as Alclad, but are much tougher finishes

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

What a brilliant kit. You’re very lucky (or cunning) to have one! I assume you’re going to build it “naked” as opposed to

the as-flown configuration, where more or less the whole thing is covered in thick foil coated insulation? I guess you could make a full set of removable insulation blankets if you really wanted a rod for your own back!

best,

M.

Yes I'm glad I bought it in time, I had lusted for the kit for several years and was just lucky I took the decision there and then to click it home, had no idea they were not going to continue doing it.

It will be naked indeed, as it was rolled around on its yellow support stand in the factory or perhaps rather after a test.

50 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I've only experimented with the, but they do brush well. Brushing is the key to some effects. And I have also seen discussions of airbrushing them. 

Mr.Hobby's application page.

Thanks for that link, it will have to be studied.

19 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That's superbly detailed, Jorgen :) Probably a little late, but I've had good results with the AK Xtreme Metals range. They spray as nicely as Alclad, but are much tougher finishes

James

I've been thinking of testing both AK Xtreme and the Vallejo alternative, but aren't they both acrylics?

I've been trying, on and off, reluctantly, to move to acrylics for the last ten years, but never getting comfortable.

Which is very most likely as I'm reluctant and not trying properly...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

I think the Vallejo ones might be, but I haven't used them. The AK Xtreme Metals are lacquers

James

Ah, I never understood that, thanks. This makes it highly likely that I will order even more paint very soon 👍

23 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

It is most probably me who has to adapt and learn how to cope with water based acrylics. Somehow...

I use them straight from the bottle, I think they are meant to be used that way. 

• Like 1

I've never had much luck with the Vallejo metallic paints, which I've tried to brush (not spray). But I almost exclusively use the Vallejo acrylic line (Model Colour) for any brush painting. Just occasionally Tamiya if I still have some, or for metallic.

The model air line is designed for air brushing and it's too thin for paint brushing. 

For larger metallic coverage I just use Tamiya spray cans - it's fine for anything other than a really shiny finish but of course you do t get as much creative control as you do with an air brush 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After finishing off some more earthly matters I have at long last made a start here. Albeit the start is mostly concerning more earthly things; the engine’s support stand.

The basic frame work is built on top of a full scale drawing, a bit like building old school light weight flying model aircraft. I might have to do that again soon… It took a couple of attempts to scale the US paper formats from the pdf-file to print accurately in size on an ordinary A4 printer.

RF1_6.jpg

The printed drawing was glued with some spray glue to a flat piece of wood board. All parts for the support stand are found.

RF1_7.jpg

The resin parts needed some cleaning up and filling, then I could start gluing the main parts together, upside down.

RF1_8.jpg

I managed to not glue any of the joints to the building board, surprisingly.

RF1_9.jpg

The wheel castor fittings were glued, the castors themselves are kept loose for painting, followed by reinforcement plates for the various brackets.

RF1_10.jpg

The white metal parts for all brackets and supports are cleaned up and glued in place, as far as possible.

RF1_11.jpg

To proceed further I had to make some temporary assembly of the engine parts. Then all four support points could be glued and the last bracing parts added, some from cast white metal and some bent from supplied brass rod. I expect some adjustments might be needed later on, but that’s for another day.

RF1_12.jpg

Here is the finished support stand, ready for paint.

RF1_13.jpg

Today I sprayed a base coat of yellow. It will need some varnish sprayed, some small decals and some very light weathering, or something like that. I imagine this as a somewhat roughly welded structural piece that was sprayed yellow all over, but not with much wear or dirt of any kind.

RF1_14.jpg

• Like 8