MISC Freelancer Max: a limited edition, 3d printed kit

A placeholder for a MISC Freelance Max from the Star Citizen game, kit by JRDF.

The Freelancer MAX variant is for those who prize increased cargo capacity over everything else. Combine that additional storage with MISC’s unrivaled dependability and reputation, and you can see why the MAX is the preferred transport for many independent haulers in Empire today.

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/misc-freelancer/Freelancer-MAX

Advertising video for the Freelancer, the MAX is very similar, just with a larger cargo hold.

More to follow ...

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Because Star Citizen, and it's ships it is little known, I thought I'd put together a few walk-around images of my Freelancer MAX.

Snapshot-197.jpg
On Wala, a moon of ArcCorp

Snapshot-201.jpg
View from above the rear of my Freelancer MAX, rear ramp open.
This, and subsequent exterior views, were taken in EVA.

Snapshot-200.jpg
View of turret

Snapshot-194ex.jpg
Cargo hold, about 1/3 full (image exposure adjusted to improve visibility)

Snapshot-204.jpg
View of nose section.  You can just see the top hatch/docking port at the bottom right.

Snapshot-207.jpg
Detail view of front access ladder, about to deploy

Snapshot-199.jpg
Shot of crew seat.  The Freelancer ships have space for four crew, all with very similar seat.

• Like 8

And now, for the kit.
This is a short run or limited edition, 3d printed kit.

It is made by a company, JRDF (https://www.jrdf.sc/), who are based in Scotland.  "[They] take digital assets from the gaming or TV/film industries and recreate them in real life for events and offices or as bespoke merchandise."
The company have a licence to produce Star Citizen kits.

Presentation.
The kit arrived packed in a cardboard box.  On opening the box, I saw three sheets of paper:

_MG_3437.jpg

A hand-written note from the supplier, and instructions for the included decals (they are waterslide decals, but should be treated differently from conventional transfers).
The third sheet? Not shown, it was the invoice for my order.

Hidden in there, you can, just, see the kit box.  Taken from the packaging, it looks like this:

_MG_3438.jpg

I'd added a little extra to my order, some cargo crates.  After all, the Freelancer is, primarily, a cargo hauler.

The ship photo you see is in a cardboard outer to a very nice main box, elegant rather than pretty.
Photos here if you need them:

Spoiler

_MG_3439.jpg

_MG_3440.jpg

Opening the main box, under a thin layer of foam (5 mm thick or 8 mm) are two layers of kit parts, supported by foam packaging

Removing the support, we see layer one:
_MG_3443.jpg

Some components, have been knocked off their support, the rear ramp and the cockpit wall (seen bottom RHS here).
I'm not over worried at this stage; a) I'm not sure any damage has been done, and b) JRDF have a very good spare parts service.

The bottom layer contains the large parts:
_MG_3447.jpg

Here we see, working clockwise, the engine pods, over wing (?), pilot's gun gimbals, raised and lowered landing gear, crew compartment, cargo bay (inner), and, in the centre, the rear hull/cargo bay outer.

I mentioned that I'd bought some cargo for the build.  That came in the bubble pack (above).
I also bought some figures, this time off eBay.  A mix of standing and seated 1/200 architectural figures (same scale as the main build).  A little paint and these'll do nicely.

_MG_3449.jpg

• Like 12

• Robert Stuart changed the title to MISC Freelancer Max: a limited edition, 3d printed kit
11 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Looks great. Loved your first one as well. What scheme will this one be in?

Had an MSR arrive the other day...

Andy

Thanks, Andy.  Are you going to build the Star Runner here?  That'd be good to see.

Cool! This is all new to me, though it does stir an ancient memory of some books I read at primary school that had ships that looked like that. I cannot for the life of me remember what they were called.

Best of luck 🚀

• Like 1

This ship looks really great. By the way: I rarely have the opportunity to watch walkarounds of SF vehicles 🙂
Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of this model?

• Like 1

Thanks @voozet

1 hour ago, voozet said:

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of this model?

Based on the ship's specifications, the measurements are:

Length: 38.0m (19 cm)

Beam: 36.0m (18 cm)

Height: 9.5m (47.5 cm)

Advertised dimensions, with estimated model sizes in brackets.
Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/misc-freelancer/Freelancer-MAX

• Like 1

Most parts have been removed from their sprue trees(?), and have basic clean-up.
_MG_3453.jpg

The exceptions are some very small components, and clear parts.

_MG_3460.jpg

Just for a detail shot, herte is a close up of crew compartment

_MG_3454.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/08/2023 at 19:14, Bengalensis said:

That looks like some very nice prints, very nice indeed.

Very nice indeed.  I suspect that JRDF have a new, finer quality, printer than that used on my earlier kit from them.

On 13/08/2023 at 14:08, 81-er said:

I know basically nothing about Star Citizen, but the ship design is good

If you enjoy space games, this one has a strong community.

On with the build ...
The power pods (jets, rockets??) have been put together - basically the main pod, the undercarriage bay, a winglet and a magnet.
A magnet?  Yes, this kit has magnets allowing the model to be posed gear up or gear down.

_MG_3465.jpg

Since that photo was taken, the major parts have received a couple of coats of Halfords filler primer.

_MG_3466.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/08/2023 at 18:40, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks, Andy.  Are you going to build the Star Runner here?  That'd be good to see.

Nah, I've got far too much other stuff on to do it justice. Might squeeze in a quick build it time allows, or even a wee 500 scale 'lancer.

Looks really good. I think JRD+F have gradually upgraded their processes as yous say. The clear parts look maybe a tad clearer than they were on mine, but suspect could still use a good polish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ngantek said:

The clear parts look maybe a tad clearer than they were on mine, but suspect could still use a good polish.

They do want a good polish, and an application of Klear ... or whatever people use these days, now Klear is long gone?

10 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

They do want a good polish, and an application of Klear ... or whatever people use these days, now Klear is long gone?

Yeah, I'm not generally a fan of dunking canopies in clear, but with the small size and difficulty of access for a good sand and polish, I did with these.

Off the print stands:

20220127_094345

After some not very thorough sanding

20220131_112853

After 'klear' (in this case I suspect it was halloway house quick shine)

20220131_142105

I hope I'd do a better job next time. My DUR has been sat mid paint strip for a year or so now, one day I'll get back to it. The print lines weren't quite gone and it just showed up too much for me with bare metal finish.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

... but with the small size and difficulty of access for a good sand and polish, I did with these. ...

Ah, yes, saw these last year - somebody mentioned your canopy solution in the JRDF Discord after I'd included a pilot in my build message ( https://discord.com/channels/439044825942327306/599552687461105684/937690341946052619 ).

33 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Ah, yes, saw these last year - somebody mentioned your canopy solution in the JRDF Discord after I'd included a pilot in my build message ( https://discord.com/channels/439044825942327306/599552687461105684/937690341946052619 ).

Oh yeah, well done for digging those up! They're very nice about spares as I'm sure you know, so it's easier to just have a go in the knowledge that the parts can be replaced if it all goes pear shaped.

IIRC the underside of the cargo bay had quite a lot of sag on the DUR, and the upper part needed liberal clamping and working in to place to remove the wobble.

A small up date, just to say, that yellow filler was sanded (wet'n'dried?) back ...

_MG_3469.jpg

And given a priming coat, this time in grey ...

_MG_3471.jpg

That bright dot in the middle there is one of the magnets; I marked one pole on each red, so I could set a standard ... red/marked pole faces in board.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Nice idea on the magnets, Robert. The bits all look nice and smooth now they're in grey too

James

Thanks James.
I can't take credit for the magnets, they were supplied by JRDF.  Think a few other kits use similar devices (Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire?)

44 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks James.
I can't take credit for the magnets, they were supplied by JRDF.  Think a few other kits use similar devices (Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire?)

Oh, I meant the colour coding the poles idea. Blindingly obvious now, but not something I'd have thought of doing

James

• Like 1