Spot of the day - Part 7

keefr22

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And it caused utter chaos. Not well organised at all. Cars were apparently even abandoned on the A15 because of the jams. A mate finally got in today rather than 

yesterday, when he gave up after being stuck for an hour or more. I've heard load air horns this afternoon as trucks head home up the A15.

Nice pictures though. The Fox Plant trucks in picture two had a long way to come didn't they? Fox plant is six miles up the road. I live less than a mile from there.

My favourite of your pics is the four axle Foden loaded with the tractors. Very nostalgic.

The four axle Magirus Deutz is very unusual, seems to be a special conversion for the UK because it does not exists  in germany.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Andreas.R said:

The four axle Magirus Deutz is very unusual, seems to be a special conversion for the UK because it does not exists  in germany.

8 wheeler tipper "Maggies" as they were called here were very popular on construction sites . Maybe something to do with their air cooled engines. A very distinctive sound too . 

Gary .

• Like 3

Lovely sunny day which brought out a couple of classics around here. Unfortunately I didn't catch the bright yellow '60s Ford Falcon which was the other side of the central reservation going through town, but I did managed to catch (in the usual low dashcam quality) a Moke coming the other way. I think that might be the first I've seen in the wild, certainly it must be over 20 years since I've seen on in daily use if at all. I'm afraid I don't know enough about them to be able to say whether it's an original British built Moke or one of the later cars from other parts of the world.

53705003527_2aa3515ecf_b.jpg

That was it for classic cars, but later on was this, whatever the hell 'this' is. I've seen it around and it seems to be electric, pretty new and definitely not something I'd want to have an accident in. So spiritual successor to the G-Wiz I guess.

53706237244_07f5ba6d90_c.jpg

• Like 6

The Moke looks like it's got the larger, Australian-style wheels, but that's definitely not an Australian grille!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Spiny said:

definitely not something I'd want to have an accident in.

I'd say exactly the same about the Moke! I find driving a Mini with full roll cage, good competition seats and full harnesses scary enough when mixing it with modern traffic full of SUV's (not to mention 44 tonners!), wouldn't even want to get in the Moke in a car park....!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 10:03 AM, MR2Don said:

IMG_0314

Blimey what've you been puttin' in your MR2's tank,steroids!,lovely shot...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, malpaso said:

The grille on that Mike shows it’s a Moke International now all EVs but initial production may have had engines?

Thanks, I'd heard something about production restarting but it never occurred to me that this one would have been part of the new set of Mokes. It should have though, as I was wondering why it was badged as "Moke" rather than Austin or Mini.

I had a look around that website, and it does say that they started production with engines in 2018... judging by the headlights which were conventional on this one (as opposed to the LED on the electric ones on the site) I'd guess this was one of the petrol versions.

• Like 1

A couple of Solihull's finest the other day. First off a 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 HSE ,in what I believe is referred to as a Murdered Out finish, full matt black, no brightwork to be seen, only lights breaking up the blackness, different if not vey attractive to my eye. Nicer was to come in the shape of a 1972 Land Rover SWB track Cab, orange paint work with black grill & headlight surrounds. late enough to be SIII I think but definitely a SIIa with its door hinges standing proud & wire mesh grill.

Steve.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2024 at 10:15 AM, malpaso said:

The grille on that Mike shows it’s a Moke International now all EVs but initial production may have had engines?

Very interesting!

Mokes were reasonably popular here in Australia but increasingly strict safety regulations effectively ended them.

I'm not absolutely sure but I think the lack of side impact protection was a factor.

It's interesting to see that they're able to comply with current EU rules.

Early this morning at m25 junction 8, a tidy and seemingly unmolested Evo VIII in silver on an 05. No stickers, no silly wheels, just a massive tea tray nailed to the back and the Evolution VIII  in full across the boot to remind you why a nondescript looking 4-door saloon just blasted you into the weeds.

And also, in Redhill town centre, a rather nice 1990 911 in red.

Matt

• Like 3

A few from today's Prescott Italia:

Genuine Stradale Stratos:

Fave car by a long shot: Iso Rivolta. Any Iso is special, but this is special special.

Vlad the Impala. Very amusing. 

One of two Maserati Sebrings present. Very nice!

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I really like this Lancia B20.

First production V6 the story goes, though I'm not sure it's strictly correct.

43 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

First production V6 the story goes, though I'm not sure it's strictly correct.

I think it's the first mass-production 60-degree V6; Delahaye's 30 degree engine was a lot earlier (1911), but it didn't really get developed or taken up anywhere else, and Lancia's 1950 was drawing on the lessons of years of v4 production and evolution... That soon did get copied by other carmakers in the 50s.

best,

M.

• Like 1

The Iso Revolta is wonderful to see but for me it's trumped soundly by the Espada!  Gorgeous, gorgeous car.

Amazing collection of photos, thanks @Sabrejet for posting.

• Like 4

The Espada gets my vote as well.

The sight of one in Clapham traffic, many many years ago, just blew me away. Knee high, jet black, tan interior and an idle that made your knees go weak. I've never forgotten that moment.

• Like 2

Great photos @Sabrejet . I always like looking at the array of cars in the background of posted car show photos just to see what else is there  . These photos don't disappoint ! Well used black Integrale , Countach , Rally 037 and my favourite the yellow Fiat Strada Abarth 130 - a favourite hot hatch of mine while growing up .

Gary. 

• Like 2

They are a fantastic selection. I’m sure there’s a price to pay for owning a classic Italian car, but they look SOOOO good. There’s not one I wouldn’t give garage space to… (well, maybe not the Impala… I suspect a Moke, Mehari or Thing carry off that vibe slightly better…)

beat,

M.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TonyW said:

The Espada gets my vote as well.

The sight of one in Clapham traffic, many many years ago, just blew me away. Knee high, jet black, tan interior and an idle that made your knees go weak. I've never forgotten that moment.

My Espada moment was seeing one in a used car dealership in Boscombe back in the '80s, priced at something I probably could have afforded. I suspect there must have been something very expensively wrong with it, but the engine would have made a nice coffee table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I was working in UK many moons ago. Espadas were sold really cheaply. and it was little bit un-wanted model. I seriously considers buying one. I think it was better that I didn't. Service costs would have ruined my finance. 

• Like 1