Spot of the day - Part 7

keefr22

On 25/09/2023 at 11:07, Tyas said:

This one, however, took the shine off the Artura. Probably one of only a handful of occasion that most normal media will ever see McLaren Senna. This one's the third Senna I've seen, finished in Solar Yellow with Azura Blue details. Those black contrasts are PPF wraps.

I think it depends where you are: here in the UK they aren't uncommon. It's not a look I've warmed to, but I'm sure aerodynamicists love it. The 720S will always be the one I'd go for, given the money. 

Edited by Sabrejet

So far today (it’s only lunchtime), seen from cockpit of my Mx-5 Or sitting outside pub I’ve seen Austin 7, Austin Healey 3000, Jaguar XK140dhc, MGA roadster, the same Jag mk2 going to and from a wedding; and this “JaguarSS100” as the DVLA put it:

JAGUAR SS

unlikely colour for the period, chrome wires, proportions too wide and all together too shiny and chromified to convince me.  Presumably DVLA agree as they date it 1998, so it’s been running round with no tax or mot for ten years now!

• Like 3

And just now a Fulvia coupe.  Imported as it didn’t have UKDM raised outer lights, which I think look better than OEM Italian style!

• Like 3

A couple of spots today whilst heading to Hornsea. A very nice Austin Healy Sprite and a silver Jaguar XK 120 hard top in silver. Sounded wonderful and a real shame it was being driven by an abdolute tool who kept undertaking traffic and was nearly taken out by a Transit! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

6 hours ago, malpaso said:

So far today (it’s only lunchtime), seen from cockpit of my Mx-5 Or sitting outside pub I’ve seen Austin 7, Austin Healey 3000, Jaguar XK140dhc, MGA roadster, the same Jag mk2 going to and from a wedding; and this “JaguarSS100” as the DVLA put it:

JAGUAR SS

unlikely colour for the period, chrome wires, proportions too wide and all together too shiny and chromified to convince me.  Presumably DVLA agree as they date it 1998, so it’s been running round with no tax or mot for ten years now!

I'd be tempted to agree with you on that. Difficult to tell for certain from the photo, but I can't see any external hinges on the trailining edge of the door. Also, the windscreen is sitting higher than the real thing too, and the running boards and mudguards look much too wide. For comparison, below is an example of the rear thing I saw earlier this year. One thing which did surprise me was that the original is surprisingly large, I'd always pictured it as quite a small car even after seeing a few of the Suffolk cars, but not the case (compare to the MGA next to it)

53060255708_4f331541c5_b.jpg

• Like 5

Bicester Scramble today saw some good, some bad and some ugly. In the 'undecided' group were a number of replicas, which looked fine, but were not quite 'right'. First a rather strange-looking BMW-derived Ferrari California Spyder (ish):

Then a replica Ferrari 196S, which did really look the part but had coil-over shocks and (I think) a Dino 246 engine.

Porsche 917 kit car had a £500k price tag (!), which seems a bit steep for a fibreglass replica with a 911 motor and six missing cylinders.

But this was the real deal: a genuine 1958 250 Testa Rossa, chassis #0752TR.

Then something I really liked: a semi-scale, road-legal tandem two-seater Blower Bentley adult's toy. I'd have one in a flash and the finish was unbelievable. It looked easily able to seat a good-sized grown-up! But quite expensive, so I might have to save up.

Then an old favourite of mine: an AC 3000ME, which really should have done better than it did. It's a design which I think still looks fresh all these years later:

And the new Nichols N1A, which is obviously inspired by the original Frank Nichols (no relation)-designed Elva-McLaren (which retrospectively became the McLaren M1A). Finish was awesome, with lots of machined aluminium in evidence.

SAAB Sonett, a car I wanted as a teenager but could never find. Now I might be able to afford one I doubt I'd still find one!

And an Iso Lele, which are more common than I once thought: I've seen three in recent years in the UK alone.

And highlight of the day for me: the Zephyr Six-engined Rayford (but see below: plaque on the dashboard says "Ray-Ford") from 1958, a car I know nothing about beyond that. It looked awesome among the immaculately turned-out classics, and it was beautifully patinated. It reminded me of a Sadler, and also comes from Canada but I'm going to do some Googling to find out more. EDIT: a bit of Googling revealed this: 

Whilst Peter Ray went on to build and race a very successful Formula Junior, the Rayford Sports Racing Car was subsequently sold to Gord Henderson. He rebuilt the car into its present form, renamed it the Ratel Mk1 and raced it well into the 1960s. It has recently been sympathetically re-commissioned and registered for road use in the UK.

It originally featured a 2.6 litre Ford Zephyr MkII power unit race prepared by Bud Child in Vancouver and although this unit is included in the sale it is currently running on another 2.6 race engine. It has a tubular space-frame chassis typical of the era which carries the Ford power unit mated to MG TD transmission and modified BMC-based suspension with a transverse leaf spring at the rear and torsion bars and telescopic shock absorbers at the front

The attractive yet purposeful bodywork is all aluminium finishing in a distinctive Kamm tail as fitted by Henderson. The car boasts impressive acceleration and is running well whilst retaining all its original features in beautifully patinated condition. Every effort having been made to retain its character and authenticity, unchanged since the 1960's.

Although some research has been undertaken into its racing history there is more to be unearthed. On file are period shots featuring the car with a youthful Henderson at Portland Raceway, Oregon in the mid 1960s on the occasion of one of the Rose Cup Race Meetings.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 14

On my way from Lincolnshire to Kent today I spotted a red Triumph Herald convertible, a dark green TR7, and a yellow Stag.  A trio of Triumphs all headed north on the A1.  Later, on the M11, I caught a glimpse of a supercar, white with a longitudinal Italian tricolour stripe (a Ferrari?), then, approaching the Dartford Crossing, a Willys Jeep and some form of fifties American pickup (Ford?) with two motor bikes in the back.  Not a bad haul.

Trevor

• Like 5

Thats probably it, without the raised bits. Like the green " GT no5" on that website and the one in Clarksons video. I had forgotten that, watched it on telly first time round! Thankyou. Just wasn't what I was expecting to see at the back after I had seen the front, if that makes sense.

Matt

• Like 2

Couple of dashcam quality pics today, as usual in those instances not great pics (especially the Bentley) but nice cars.

First up the Bentley - looked up the registration and it looks to be a 1927 model which was exported to Malay before returning nine years later. Despite its age it seemed to be coping with modern traffic perfectly.

53251777114_d19ab94395_c.jpg

And speaking of traffic, stuck in it later on was an early 70's (think it was a J-reg if memory serves) 911. I'm guessing from the appearance that this one will have a Targa top stashed away somewhere.

53251914585_e387c2a40c_b.jpg

• Like 9

On 10/9/2023 at 10:14 PM, klubman01 said:

Later, on the M11, I caught a glimpse of a supercar, white with a longitudinal Italian tricolour stripe (a Ferrari?),

Could be Lamborghini UK's Huracan EVO RWD press unit...? I know one of them is finished in Bianco Malide (matte pearlescent white with rosy tinge, a GBP12k option) and a GBP21k tricolore stripe.

I've been trying to reduce my weight for a while, so lately I have been rather intensive with my morning jog/walk. And often I saw this 2022 Morgan Plus Six driven around my hometown almost every single day. But I never managed to snap it properly.

IMG-0135.jpg

Got you. I first saw this Plus Six on April this year, I thought it was just going to be driven very rarely on weekends. Turns out the guy actually drive it almost every day to and from his work place, which is something like 26km round-trip. So if we assume he drove it at least 4 times a week, in 6 months he's already at 2500km. Does not sound much but considering many sportscar owners in Indonesia tend to pamper their car, not wanting to go beyond 1000km during the car's lifetime, I wholeheartedly commend this lad.

• Like 5

I have been busy lately in testing area of work, but I had time to spot some classics.

This was in industrial area near the office. I don't remember when I saw one of these last time

5uZteBe.jpg

Than I saw couple Mercedes near my home in morning walk.

v1Bhshn.jpg

pPEnOq3.jpg

And maybe this is also classic. Civil vehicle definitely.

E0NOcTd.jpg

Edited by Vesa Jussila
  • Like 11

22 hours ago, Spiny said:

C

And speaking of traffic, stuck in it later on was an early 70's (think it was a J-reg if memory serves) 911. I'm guessing from the appearance that this one will have a Targa top stashed away somewhere.

53251914585_e387c2a40c_b.jpg

That's what I call a proper Porsche 911.  Fabulous!

Trevor

• Like 2