Any images/info: Operation Firedog Tempest IIs, 33 Squadron?

Iain Ogilvie

Hi all!

I'm just about to start spraying up a 1:32 Tempest II that's been sat on the shelf of doom for waay too long and restore some MoJo.

Really want to do a late Firedog 33 Sqn machine in the last camouflage - as an old friend of mine, Chris Armstrong, was an armourer on 33 during the Malayan emergency - he primarily worked on the Hornets - but I believe they were just transitioning from Tempests when he arrived. Sadly Chris is no longer with us to advise.

I'm led to believe the last scheme they wore was PRU Blue undersides - Dk Green and Dark Sea Grey upper surfaces - painted over the silver finish - which in turn was painted over their original camouflage.

My options, so far, appear to be:

PR771/5R-D - red spinner

PR805/5R-S - blue spinner (Eduard 1:48 kit has this option - but calls out Azure Blue/Dk Green/Medium Sea Grey as colours?)

Does anyone have any more thoughts/input on the subject - and any pointers to period photos - apart from one image I'm drawing a blank...

Iain

38 minutes ago, Iain Ogilvie said:

PR805/5R-S - blue spinner (Eduard 1:48 kit has this option - but calls out Azure Blue/Dk Green/Medium Sea Grey as colours?)

The book The Ultimate Tempest, by @Chris Thomas in the Eduard Ultimate Tempest kit, has 

PR805/5R-S - blue spinner, PRU Blue undersides - Dk Green and Dark Sea Grey upper surfaces, page 49

(Eduard 1:48 kit has this option - but calls out Azure Blue/Dk Green/Medium Sea Grey as colours?)  I have no idea why they say this, as the book in their kit says otherwise.

There are pics of %r-D on page 50, but it's not sure if this was repainted in the above scheme.

HTH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iain Ogilvie said:

will see if I can get hold of a copy.

I think it was only with the kit, which is a shame as it's a great book.  OK if you want a 1/48th Tempest II.   Perhaps in time the two Eduartd books will get a printing of their own,  or Wingleader will do some Tempest volumes,  there are 4 on the Typhoon, I'm not sure if all have been done as yet.

Email if you want photos of the pages Iain.

Hi Troy,

Correction on the Eduard instructions - from their other 1:48 boxing - calls out Ocean Grey rather than Dark Sea Grey - but could easily be a typo/error:

48b427_cacb3e38a7444d67bb97750bd1c2e51d~

Just had the 'Tempest Squadrons of the RAF - by Chris Thomas' arrive and that helps - have 'Tempest: Hawker's Outstanding Piston-engined Fighter by Tony Butler' on the way tomorrow to see if that has any images.

Have looked to see if I can just get a copy of the Eduard 'The Ultimate Tempest' book - but all routes lead to buying the whole kit - and I don't build 1:48 - so, yes, would love to see a relevant scan if possible? iain at aeronut.co.uk.

Regards,

Iain

• Like 1

Model Alliance Sheet 489021/729021 has PR772 5R-D as Dk Sea Grey, Dk Green and PRU Blue, with yellow wing leading edges, Red Spinner, white sqn codes and postwar roundels, allegedly at Kuala Lumpur 1951. I think the serial on this sheet is probably wrong….

Cold War Shield vol 1 doesn’t mention the re-camouflaging  after going to the overall Aluminium finish, interesting to know what is the original source for the above scheme? It does give PR784 5R-R wartime camo, PR771 5R-D camouflage postwar roundels (doesn’t specify wartime camo or otherwise) and PR533 5R-V, PR864 5R-X both aluminium, poss both with blue spinners. 

To answer the original question, There is a photo of PR771 5R-D on page 147 of The Typhoon and Tempest Story (Thomas and Shores), camouflaged  with postwar roundels. 

Peter

• Like 1