1/72 A Model IAR 80c.

1/72 A Model IAR 80c.

Another model that resisted completion, mainly due to fit issues again.

It's getting to sound a lot like a bad workman blaming his tools, as I ought to be big enough, old enough and ugly enough to get over mere bagatelles such as the canopy being too big for the fuselage, the wing sections warping so that there was a gap the width of the mersey tunnel between top and bottom leading edge, the butt joint tailplanes were no help at all and the rear of the fuselage still gives me the shivers thinking how lucky I was it isn't a resin kit the amount of sanding I had to do to get a massive step in the wing to rear fuselage reduced..

But I persevered, and eventually wrestled into some sort of shape a model that looked to me bore a passing resemblance to the box art.

SAM_2564

Actually, I am a little tired of these short run, awkward fitting models, and yearn for an Airfix,  Revell,  Eduard or Tamiya kit to make, which is why I am going for the Smer Su-25 Frogfoot in Ukrainian livery next.

On to the IAR 80.

I didn't know until a couple of years ago that Rumania had an aviation business, let alone it produced what looks like a well designed efficient fighter, the IAR 80. When I discovered that, I thought let's get one, and on impulse picked up this 1/72 Amodel kit from Hannants.

I thought apart from the aerial being broken in half, the somewhat dodgy colour choices ( Humbrol dark brown and Mr Hobby IJA dark green) for the paintwork,  a couple of seams that refused to fill and sand  away, and the mistake with the undercarriage, given the fit issues and the truly awful instructions, it doesn't look too bad.

The pitot was painted by masking the white for red stripes, the canopy was masked pretty well, though spoilt a bit by some glue fogging that crept in at the front when I put the aerial in the hole I'd drilled in the canopy.

Gun barrels by Albion hobby, as was the pitot. Canopy masks from Yahu, as were the seatbelts, and the instrument panel. Which, you had to work out where the fuselage location for the IP was; I thought I had, but obviously didn't put enough glue there as the IP fell out.

I used Mr Colour RLM 04 for the yellow bits, Windsor & Newton galleria gloss varnish to put the decals on, and Windsor & newton galleria satin finish for post decals.

This wasn't a "Oh, just drop it in the bin" model, but a couple of times it came close.

Several photos now follow of this fighter for your delectation. 

Sam_2554 Sam_2557 Sam_2558

Sam_2561 Sam_2563

• Like 17

I think the colours are great.  I won't try to put you down, j-j-just because of your choice of brown.  I think your model will cause a big sensation, because it's cool and it's Romanian.

You did a great job... canopies are a one of those A-Model problems that it is really hard to do much about, and somehow on the IAR-80 the canopy is very prominent.

I built the MPM kit a decade or more ago... it was a little better than your experience but we are surely about due for an updated tooling of this beautiful little machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job on what looks like a real horror of a kit. I have the Sova-M boxing of this tool and my impressions on opening the box was that it was about the roughest looking IM thingy I have in the stash!

You've really wrestled it into shape though and it's a lovely build of this very attractive aeroplane. Well done!

On 08/07/2023 at 18:47, Whofan said:

Actually, I am a little tired of these short run, awkward fitting models, and yearn for an Airfix,  Revell,  Eduard or Tamiya kit to make

Yeah I know what you mean. Well done for doing so many, I can manage about one for every three or four 'easy' kits.

Hope the next one is rather more fun!

Andy

• Thanks 1

@Peter Lloyd ,

thanks for the WHO reference!! And thanks too for the kind words. I’m probably as self critical as most others here, but canopies have always been a bugbear of mine. 

I try, though!

2 hours ago, Fred piket said:

Beautiful model, great build and nice camo..I recognize it straight away as a IAR80, so you did something good! In the end you win..

@Fred piket, glad to hear you did recognise it as an IAR 80!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

Great job on what looks like a real horror of a kit. I have the Sova-M boxing of this tool and my impressions on opening the box was that it was about the roughest looking IM thingy I have in the stash!

You've really wrestled it into shape though and it's a lovely build of this very attractive aeroplane. Well done!

Yeah I know what you mean. Well done for doing so many, I can manage about one for every three or four 'easy' kits.

Hope the next one is rather more fun!

Andy

Andy, 

I’m hoping the Smer Frogfoot is a better kit - I can hardly keep up with vacuuming the sanding dust up!

Congratulations for finishing this kit!

I tried myself twice on the Amodel/Sova M IAR kit - even though I have some experience with short-run-products, both attempts ended up in the dust bin.

I will not make a third attempt on this kit, instead I'll wait, maybe some other manufacturer comes with a new tooling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Hopesdaddy

thanks for the kind words, especially on the colours.

incidentally, the tail colours - only the yellow is a decal, the blue and red you have to paint. The paints I used were Mr Colour H 326 blue, which I think with hindsight is a little too dark; a few drops of whit might help, and Tamiya X-7 red.

Edited by Whofan