A Barn Find- will it be any good?

Mjwomack

I've finally settled upon a scheme, if not a detailed plan. But first a mardle

Mardle- East Anglian word for a meandering anecdote

'The Brigadier had been something in the war in France, and brought a few nicknacks as he called them back with him'. Back being the family farm. Sadly all the wines were drunk long ago and his grandson wasn't interested in the taking on the farm preferring 'crypto' (whatever that was).

This crypto thing hadn't gone so well and it was time for another desperate plundering of the estate. Rumour had it that there was a very special car in that barn down on Nora's field. Anyhow the land agent has brought his classic cars expert with him to see what they find....

The Scene

It's going to be a decrepit barn, I've plenty to choose from around here so probably an amalgam of my favourites, very overgrown- which will be a challenge for the grasses etc.

A group of men are entering the barn to see what there is in there.

The Centrepiece

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ace-72273-traction-avant-11cv--138526

One of these, though as with crypto and all speculative things I'm undecided as to what condition it'll be in; that way none of us know what's going on in this build, which seems fare!

• Like 8

A suitably arduous walk in the pre-thunderstorm weather and I think I've found Nora's Field

PXL-20230708-123946754.jpg 

Look at all that straw ready to itch your legs and trees and hedges hugging the barn!

PXL-20230708-124010946.jpg 

Lots of rusting corrogated metal and a pick and mix approach to internal division and supports. Not quite derelict enough though, I'm thinking one corner/ end has collapsed, possibly held up by a rusting tractor? Who knows? But isn't that the joy of a barn find?

• Like 8

11 hours ago, psdavidson said:

Does that make it Schrödinger's car?

There's always a lot ion uncertainty in my builds!

I was thinking of having a near feral cat in it somewhere, and that's settled it- sitting on the tarp ready to fight the intruders for it's favourite spot will do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know I'd signed up for this many GBs this year or maybe they've all come along at once.

Anyhow this has come along in the post...

PXL-20230719-145542893.jpg 

It's a tidy little kit

PXL-20230719-145802652.jpg 

DIY glazing

PXL-20230719-145655707.jpg 

Templates provided, but also means you can have the windows down a bit if you want- or if cut wrongly and then say it was the idea at along.

For reasons of sheer pleasure, I've decided to make the vignette the same size as the box it came in! I'm sketching out some idea, though the barn was so bodged in it's initial construction that it might be hard to know id entropy has played any part in in it's current state; I'm thinking railway sleeps for the back supports and cut down telegraph poles along the front.

• Like 7

Ooh, nice. I like Ace's vehicle kits a lot. Fiddly, but worth the effort.

A hint, if I may, concerning the glazing. The assumption is it should be inside the body shell. You can get away with this for the door and rear window, but the windscreen was hinged at the top and could be opened to let fresh air in. Make that part slightly larger than the windscreen aperture and glue it on the outside of the shell - even cracked open to let the spiders and mice in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Ooh, nice. I like Ace's vehicle kits a lot. Fiddly, but worth the effort.

A hint, if I may, concerning the glazing. The assumption is it should be inside the body shell. You can get away with this for the door and rear window, but the windscreen was hinged at the top and could be opened to let fresh air in. Make that part slightly larger than the windscreen aperture and glue it on the outside of the shell - even cracked open to let the spiders and mice in.

Ooh an opening window, yep that's got to have something unpleasant going on! Perhaps they've just got that far in rolling the tarp back 🤔🫣

• Like 1

Jobs a good'un (though you might need a good imagination at this stage)

PXL-20230725-140702277.jpg 

Well the cash register in the local model railway shop is happy! OK, lots of imagination is required....

Cheapest way to buy the sleepers was second hand track which will be stripped down- shaving off the plastic chairs (the bit the rail sits on) will give the change in texture of the original and then drill some small holes for the missing bolts- simples!

The telegraph poles are a bit of a disappointment for Ratio kits, as lacking in texture but there were no Dapol/ Airifx ones available. Sure I'll cope

The white metal tree will be made into a felled tree that was being cut up for timber but left abandoned- should be fair enough

In turn that will be hiding the 'great barn find' from view to add to the general suspense and mystery of the piece. Forgot to look for a tarp but sure I cam make my own.

The 'Base Toys' second hand lorry is bigger than I had in mind for holding up one end of the barn but something can be done with it.

And Dapol/ Airfix figures- not sure I like them now I study them more closely -have to see how the budget holds up.

So, pretty much all assembled as it were and ready for dissembly to begin!!

• Like 9

I think that there's going to be a lot of vignettes/ diorama in this GB because things need something ng to decay into. Certainly I'm going to make a little scene (no artistic temperaments involved). And am taken with the idea that even the base has seen better days.

Starting with the base so I can get a better idea of what merges into what, and have roughly cut a ply-wood base a little smaller than the Citroen's box and glued over that a fractionally smaller but equally chewed cork floor tile which is now setting and will be sized ready for more mouldering decay. It's going to be a complete scene of rural misery!! Already it's all a very uninspiring brown!

No surprises that I found cutting things badly pretty easy!!!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress

PXL-20230821-184257703.jpg 

Pleased with the way the base fades away rather than a tidy edge. Penguin book cover seemed very appropriate and is a template for the barn.

Still not too sure on how I'm doing this; normally I'd build each component and put them on the base, but in this case I'm keen it all merges together and is entwined.

Probably going to make progress on each component, put them in place and hope the magic happens.

• Like 3