Esci F-104C Starfighter

This build will be the Esci F-104C Starfighter released in 1981.  It has since been repackaged by Italeri and this is the Italeri 2014 release.

As you can see from the box, it has been in The Stash for some time!

spacer.png

Let's look at the parts.

The kit is also available as an F-104G.  The difference is on this sprue.  The G version has different rear fuselage parts on the opposite side of the sprue from the early version parts that you can see here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I first built this kit (in the G version) in 1985 from the Tiger Meet boxing.  The yellow plastic was bright!!!   🕶️ Since then I have built it numerous times.  It will be good to have another go.  It can go with the two F-104S models that I'm building in the Southern Europe GB. :thumbsup: 

• Like 15

On 7/4/2023 at 5:42 AM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

As you can see from the box, it has been in The Stash for some time!

Naaah, just those crappy open ended boxes they use. :( 

I built this kit for the Century fighters GB last year, it was a pretty nice build, very much enjoyed it.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Enzo,

this is a great little kit. It definitely looks like a Starfighter and is a pleasure to build.

I actually never looked at the Italeri kit, but I built the Esci offering when it came out, along with the RF-4C Italeri produced at the very same time.

Both kits were delightful, just like the Italians know how to manufacture.

My Starfighter is still with me, in the colors of the Puerto Rico ANG, with full SEA camo.

Enjoy!

JR

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Why haven't I updated this thread?!?!?   :wall:

Assembly proceeds pretty much as one would expect.

spacer.png

Plenty of room for ballast!

spacer.png

Definitely a Starfighter, but the tail makes it look a little different.

spacer.png

• Like 3

I primed the model with clear lacquer from a rattle can followed by a coat of grey primer (also from a rattle can) to give a consistent finish.   The tan was sprayed using Lfecolor UA-562.

spacer.png

The tan areas were then masked off using my usual technique of Blutak worns, masking tape squares and Copydex.

spacer.png

The medium green was sprayed with Lifecolor UA-561 while the dark green is Xtracrylix XA1110.

spacer.png

The undersurfaces are UA-563.

spacer.png

Originally I had intended to use the kit decals to depict an aircraft serving in Vietnam. Then I realised that I had a Caracal Decals sheet in The Stash.  This has a scheme for an aicraft serving with the Puerto Rico ANG which is a little bit different.  This explains the ADC Grey radome, using Xtracrylix XA1138.

• Like 7

Good call leaving the horizontal stabiliser off until the last minute- I was terrified during the painting process that I'd snap mine off and take part of the vertical stabiliser with it. Unmasking in particular was fairly unnerving.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...