Tractor Blues **Finished**

Geo1966

Being a “Tractor Boy” (Ipswich Town football fan) I thought it was only right I should build a tractor in this GB.

c064jWh.jpg

Like a lot of us in this GB (I am guessing), this could also be an “out of my comfort zone” build, as I have never done rusty, battered, old, decaying or for that matter a tractor!

When you search for images of old tractors, a lot of them are totally rusty, but I am hoping to go with something which still has a bit of paint on it.

jA7EP8G.jpg     csU0MLX.jpg

George

Edited by Geo1966
  • Like 10

Normal Miniart, all the parts appear to be nicely moulded and free from flash.

UboiDlH.jpg

nuRXbOv.jpg

31wXZLc.jpg

I'm planning to do a very rusty version of this:

i9tNIEN.jpg

George

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

The part count doesn’t look to horrific

Thanks. It should be a quick build, but a slow paint i guess.

George

• Like 3

We have a start to proceedings. Not the best start to be honest, I have managed to break 3 parts (2 fixed and 1 replaced), but worse than that I have had 2 pingers! Both happen to be rather prominent parts at the front of the beast, so I need to have a think about how to sort that.

dSGMF0B.jpg

CNVDQjL.jpg

I have removed the wiper motor from the back of the windscreen as there is not going to be a windscreen. Also, the “cow horns” on the engine lump bit/thing will be going as I am pretty sure they are for the front mud guards, which I am not going to use. I also sanded off the tabs for the number plate, as you have guessed it, there is not going to be one. BTW the wire bit sticking out (fuse wire) I need to connect to the round/curved bit which maybe an oil filter?

RtZ1Odu.jpg

I think Miniart are having a giraffe here. In the words of John McEnroe “You cannot be serious”!!!!

I will try and connect the wires that go to it, but will not be drilling it!

gVBT2cX.jpg

I have also decided to get rid of the tow pin thing in the towing thing as it looked a bit crap. Chopped it off and drilled out the hole. I may replace it or leave it empty. Who knows in this crazy GB……………….

George

Edited by Geo1966
Smelling
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

We have a start to proceedings. Not the best start to be honest, I have managed to break 3 parts (2 fixed and 1 replaced), but worse than that I have had 2 pingers! Both happen to be rather prominent parts at the front of the beast, so I need to have a think about how to sort that.

Good job it's an entropy build and doesn't have to be perfect, or intact!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Good job it's an entropy build and doesn't have to be perfect, or intact!

A very good point Bob, maybe i should only do entropy builds from now on! 😂

4 hours ago, Trevor L said:

Ah, MiniArt, breakages and pingers. I know that trio well enough!

I seem to have a knack of being able to do it with most manufactures. I must be close to being an expert! I even tried the empty hoover trick for the Pingers, to no avail 😕

George

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have not been able to get much time on this at all, just the odd 30 mins here and there and then all of a sudden, I have something starting to resemble a tractor.

AoQKBoA.jpg

There are quite a few fiddly bits, but I suppose it is Miniart. I managed to break a couple more bits with my sausage fingers. One lever I cleaned up nicely then broke it when I tried to attach it – Doh! The said lever has been replaced with a piece of copper wire now. I have also added the pipes to the side of the engine with 5-amp fuse wire.

emWXh6W.jpg  

uoiY89q.jpg

rCop0Za.jpg

Hopefully i can get the rear mudguards on and maybe even some wheels over the weekend.

George

• Like 8

Managed quite a bit over the weekend, but no wheels yet. Still need to do the front axle and the seat. I think apart from that I am nearly there on the build.

WrEFMSB.jpg

I thought I was being clever by adding some damage to the mud guards, but it ended up being a bit of a mistake as there was the bar thing to fit on the back. Basically I ended up having to bend the mudguards back to be able to fit it.

X0BUgK2.jpg

PAeRQ6n.jpg

Big sink hole in the exhaust, but nothing a bit of PPP wont fix. I have also drilled out the end of the exhaust as much as I dare. I might try and make a few holes in it to make it look like it has rusted through.

vmmk4f6.jpg

George

• Like 10

I’ve made a start on a base. Using one of my favorite little chopping boards from Lidl. I like these as they are a good size for 1/35 and don’t take up too much space in the display cabinet.

qM9h8QQ.jpg

I then got some cork sheeting and cut it in to rectangles and covered them in Polyfilla. This is an idea I stole from Uncle Nightshift. You can then sort of fold them to get some nice cracks in what will hopefully look like concrete. I then stuck them to the base with a bit of PVA glue.

uLHqNRG.jpg    vIjLxNn.jpg

George

• Like 8

The underside axles and linkage are done. Had a bit of a nightmare trying to fix the front axle. After much cursing and swearing I realised I had put the engine sump (with the connector for the axle) on the wrong way round! I managed to chisel it off as it was stuck really well and then put it on the right way. Once I had done that the axle fitted fine! 🤨

73PYJhg.jpg    V2PN4dr.jpg

Stippled on some Mr surfacer 500 on the exhaust to give it some texture. Think I got taught about this in NBC training in the Army, its horrible stuff. I have no idea how to clean brushes after using it as nothing seems to work. Its only the second time I have used it and both times I have ended up binning the brush.

ppE0Y1r.jpg

I’ve drilled some holes in the wheel hub, as I am planning to have one of the front wheels removed. If this goes to plan and I am able to, I will add some little bits of wire to represent the bolts.

pWQcfMM.jpg

I still have a couple of bits of PE to add to the rear mud guards, fit the exhaust and sort out the lights. Then there is just the wheels and the seat to make/add before hitting the paint shop.

George

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

Stippled on some Mr surfacer 500 on the exhaust to give it some texture. Think I got taught about this in NBC training in the Army, its horrible stuff. I have no idea how to clean brushes after using it as nothing seems to work. Its only the second time I have used it and both times I have ended up binning the brush.

Should have used my talc method for having a rusty exhaust pipe George, as for cleaning off Mr surfacer 500, I either use universal thinners (cellulose thinner) or Mr hobby thinner or tool cleaner.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Should have used my talc method for having a rusty exhaust pipe George, as for cleaning off Mr surfacer 500, I either use universal thinners (cellulose thinner) or Mr hobby thinner or tool cleaner.

This might be a really stupid question here Bob but I want use your talc texture method but how do you do it? I mean do you use pigment fixer or mineral spirit to get it to stick or something else. Do you mix paint or pigment with it or stick it on raw/as is and then colour after?

George I’ve also been using mr surfacer  500 as well and agree its really hard to get off. I’ve dumped the brushes into white spirit but doesn’t seem to get all off, however I’ve kept the brushes and used some of the stuck bits to my advantage. I used it to wreck the brush and stiffen in parts so it creates nice random mottles for next time.   
 The tractor is really coming on well!

Paul

Edited by Muchmirth
Spellings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

This might be a really stupid question here Bob but I want use your talc texture method but how do you do it? I mean do you use pigment fixer or mineral spirit to get it to stick or something else. Do you mix paint or pigment with it or stick it on raw/as is and then colour after?

Have a look at my entropy build, Rust in Peace, it's described how to do it and photos show the effect. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 2

The base is starting to come together. Not sure it looks like concrete really, maybe a bit dark 🤔 I think i also need to paint some of the grass to get it to unify better.

UyqU8gd.jpg

L4SabFR.jpg

George

• Like 10