Rust Never Sleeps - A truck left to rot, somewhere in America *Finished*

Trevor L

My entry for this GB will be a rusting old pickup truck.

Not an original idea for sure, but I've fancied doing something like this for a long time so when the GB was first proposed I was up for it straight away.

I've got some ideas of what I want to do but I think it will evolve as I go along, and I'll be trying some new techniques such as heavy rust, corrosion, dents, flat tyres and so on.

The model I've picked is an AMT 1/25 scale 1950 Chevy 3100. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I chose this as it has the wooden side panels which will make a contrast to the metalwork, plus I liked the irony of these decals

spacer.png

It looks like a fairly straightforward build so I can hopefully construct it quite quickly, then start deconstructing it!

Edited by Trevor L
  • Like 16

This GB is all about the rot, but first I have to build a kit so here's what's in the box.

There is a one piece cab and front section

spacer.png

Various bits of white plastic

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some rubber whitewall tyres, plus clear and coloured parts

spacer.png

And some shiny chrome

spacer.png

I've never built an AMT kit before but on first inspection it looks quite clean, with only a little bit of flash.

We'll see how it goes together once I get started.

• Like 14

I used to always see cars around here with the small rust proofing decals on their windows (Ziebart was a popular one). The cars were always rusted out. Only way to really rust proof something in the rust belt is to submerse it in a vat of transmission fluid.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

It looks a good kit to use, the flattened tyres will be a challenge, any ideas on how to do those?

I have found a brief picture guide, which shows part of the inner tyre removed then flattened out.

spacer.png

If it fails then I'll make it tyre-less and pretend they have been removed!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I have watched  a number of youtube video's and these old trucks carried a lot of rust but were still driveable so I'm looking forward to see how you apply rust  . . . 

They certainly seem to just keep going.

I've seen videos of old trucks and cars that have been left for decades, and with a bit of tinkering they're driving down the highway again.

• Like 1

Interesting technique to flatten tires. 

The order of panels in the illustration caught my eye, too. Of course, it makes sense on thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Trevor L said:

If it fails then I'll make it tyre-less and pretend they have been removed!

If the vehicle was initially abandoned on the Cross Bronx Expressway, the tires were gone within minutes. :rofl2:

• Haha 6

Just back from a week's holiday so it's time to make a start, and first up is the chassis.

The main frame is one part, and to that I've added the springs, shocks, axles and a few other parts, and it's pretty much done.

spacer.png

• Like 10

I snuck in a little extra session this evening and prepped the wheels, plus the engine block and parts.

Chrome hub caps are included but I'll be leaving those off.

The various engine parts are different colours to the block, so I'll paint them separately before assembly.

The detail is fairly good on these parts, but being white it doesn't show up that well in the pictures.

This has started very well (famous last words!).

spacer.png

• Like 7

I'm bounding along with this, and it won't be long before I start painting.

I've had plenty of time today to get more done in between watching the F1 (the red arrows pass almost over our house on their approach to Silverstone, so we nipped out to watch them zoom past).

I've built the truck bed, installed the firewall and wheel wells in the engine bay, plus prepped the cab interior parts.

I also took my first 'entropy' step by cutting some chunks out of the bed so it looks like the wood has rotted around the edges.

I was wary at first but then decided to just go for it, and if I muck anything up it can become part of the build or can be covered up somehow.

spacer.png

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Trevor L said:

I also took my first 'entropy' step

Congratulations!

11 hours ago, Trevor L said:

if I muck anything up it can become part of the build or can be covered up somehow

Never has the old modelling fall-back position of "cover it with a tarp" been more suited to a GB than this one!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Never has the old modelling fall-back position of "cover it with a tarp" been more suited to a GB than this one!

Or even a good layer of moss or how about a birds nest?  Nature is always quick to reclaim things that stop moving. :winkgrin:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update time, and with the build pretty much complete I am going to paint and weather one section at a time, starting with the chassis.

As most of this won't be seen I could experiment, and hopefully hone some methods before I get to the more visible parts.

After painting the chassis black, I went over it with thinned light and dark rust shades.

I then dappled a light orange rusty shade over parts of it with a frayed old brush.

Over that I added some pigment for texture to a dark oxide colour and splodged it on.

Finally, I used some lighter shades again to highlight some areas, and I've ended up with a rusty, crusty hunk of metal.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The pics maybe don't quite do it justice, but I'm really rather pleased with how it looks.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Oh you can defo see how good this looks! The contrast and different layers of rust that you have achieved are very good. … you must have enjoyed that process!

Paul

Thanks Paul. I did enjoy it. On one of the sessions I popped in to do a little bit, and before I knew it two hours had passed.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2023 at 19:55, Trevor L said:

I also took my first 'entropy' step by cutting some chunks out of the bed so it looks like the wood has rotted around the edges.

I was wary at first but then decided to just go for it, and if I muck anything up it can become part of the build or can be covered up somehow.

Yup! This is going to be my approach too. You can certainly overthink this if you try. I thought about an old van but I didn’t have the kit. You’ve made a great start. The rusty chassis looks spot on. 👏👏👏 I’ll pull up a chair if that’s ok.

Johnny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've now moved on to the cab interior and started painting and weathering it.

For the seat I was considering using the foil method that was linked to in the group chat, but it seems a delicate material and one wrong move could ruin it. I was trying to think of an alternative, then it came to me in a brilliant flash of inspiration*: masking tape!

It would be more secure and has a sort of leather grain texture to it, but once stuck down it may be tricky to cut. After a bit of experimenting it seemed to work though, so I went for it.

First I painted the seats an orangey yellowey foam colour, then stuck the masking tape on and cut it to shape. Some of the edges are a little rough but that can be put down to age and wear. I also wondered whether a 1950's vehicle might have springs instead of foam, but decided to ignore that.

I then painted it black and dry brushed a sand colour over it.

After that I used a scalpel to carefully cut some patches, keeping it as flat at as possible, then folding back the loose parts.

The loose bits stuck up a bit so I used a little glue to flatten them down, then dabbed some dark brown on the exposed foam to make it look grubby.

I need to paint the metal side arms and maybe weather it a bit more, but this is how it is looking.

spacer.png

*please excuse over dramatics. I'm sure someone thought of this idea many moons ago, but for a little while I imagined I had invented a new method.

Edited by Trevor L
  • Like 10