Westland Wessex. Bits, Various, for the use of. Transmission Deck & Cockpit set now added for 2024

hendie

Pete, I don't plan on adding any more parts for the Wessex. However, I said that then ended up doing the cockpit set, but I think I've done all that can be reasonably done with the kits at this point.

Parts are available in 1/32 for the Fly kit but there are a few caveats.  Since I no longer have a Fly kit available for test fitting I cannot guarantee as good a fit as on the Italeri parts and it's likely there will be some tweaking involved.

The engine bay set may require some filler strips on the lower engine bay firewall to get it to sit nicely in the fuselage without gaps, and there will be the usual file/test fit scenario.

The fuselage set should be fine though I'm not sure about the cabin bulkhead and it may require tweaking.

The MRGB set should all be fine though folks should be aware that Fly have the cabin ceiling (trans deck floor) about 7mm too low and you will have to compensate for that somehow.

The cockpit as far as I can remember was halfway decent in the Fly kit so I don't plan on offering Set D especially as I have no way now to test everything would fit in the available space.

All said and done, yes, parts are available for the Fly kit but you should be aware that some rework will be required and being honest, I really have no way of knowing how onerous that would be.  I have sent a few 1/32 kits out and haven't had any complaints, so...?

It's also a real pig to print some of the 1/32 parts for some reason. I just finished a set and had to print 4 main rotor gearboxes before I got one I was happy with, so it's very time consuming and wasteful in some respects. That's the reason I haven't openly offered those for sale. PM me if you're interested and we can discuss.

Alan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Wonderful job Alan!!! Thanks for taking the time to provide us with those sets.

Thanks Alex. If I'd known they were going to be so popular I would have doubled my prices at the beginning. 😁

just a heads up to everyone I am working on all the orders, but was taken by surprise at the volume of orders so it is going to take me a little while to catch up.  I'm trying to keep everyone up to date whenever possible. This next week should see a bunch of orders going out.

Thanks for your patience while this old croney slaves away in the basement.

• Haha 3

WSX72 Set D (cockpit) now ready for general consumption

I've shown the set here along with a 1/48 center console as a comparison.

20240315-161113.jpg

WSX72 Set D will comprise of:

• 2 x pilots seats
  • Rear bulkhead console
  • Center floor console
  • Roof console with rotor brake
  • 3 x Servo valve (forgot to take photo again)

There are a couple of print striations on the forward edge of the seat. I will try and eliminate them, but at worst, a swipe with a sanding stick will take care of that.

Here's another couple of shots to highlight the detail

20240315-160929.jpg

20240315-160948.jpg

There is no brake lever included with the WSX72 Set D - it is just too small and fragile at this scale, however, it is easy enough to scratch one using a small length.of fuse wire, or similar. 

• Like 6

If these sets were available few years ago, Italeri Wessex build wouldn't have been so frustrating. 

Beautiful cockpit details indeed @hendie. 

• Thanks 1

For those folks ordering the cockpit set, I've mentioned the servo valve a couple of times - I'm guessing a few of you may not know where it is located, and photos of it aren't that common, so...

456172.jpg

It's that valve looking thing on the left of the photo, sitting midway between the pedals.

Here endeth this week's public service announcement. 😁

• Haha 1

I just got some feedback from a customer who's working with the Fly kit. 

I must admit I had my reservations about sending out 1/32 parts when I didn't have a kit available for testing with but Kevin has done a great job, and given me permission to share his work.

I think Kevin has done a fantastic job withe nose door bulkhead - I'd never have thought the printed parts would have been such a good fit (hence my previous caveats).  I'm happy to be proved wrong. 

1.jpg

The upper bay turned out just as good

2.jpg

It's great to see folks getting such fantastic results with these printed parts. It makes all those hours spent wrestling SolidWorks worthwhile.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

My order from arrived earlier this week but I have only just managed to open it up..............

20240412_181516

Given my nomadic lifestyle, I have been doing Mail Order for almost 50 years now and I can safely say that I have never received a package such as this one. The inner packing is absolutely superb and has guaranteed that each and every one of these fragile parts arrives in 100% tip top condition. It must have taken you almost as long to pack the parts as to manufacture them !. I am sure the parts will match the packing in their quality but I just wanted to share this in order to let everyone know that they can order from you in total confidence. Thanks very much Alan,

Mark   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the comments Mark. I really appreciate them.

You're right though... packing those parts takes up a decent amount of time. I've seen some taking up to an hour, but much better than having to print, package, and send a replacement package.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Hi Folks,

My order from arrived earlier this week but I have only just managed to open it up..............

20240412_181516

Given my nomadic lifestyle, I have been doing Mail Order for almost 50 years now and I can safely say that I have never received a package such as this one. The inner packing is absolutely superb and has guaranteed that each and every one of these fragile parts arrives in 100% tip top condition. It must have taken you almost as long to pack the parts as to manufacture them !. I am sure the parts will match the packing in their quality but I just wanted to share this in order to let everyone know that they can order from you in total confidence. Thanks very much Alan,

Mark   

My thoughts exactly!

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi hendie, 

just to update received the parts yesterday and managed to have a look at them this morning. All I can say is 😍 them the detail is fantastic and packaging to the UK first rate and beyond. 

I opened a couple of the boxes and was blown away with how small the parts are and the level of detail with in them. 

For anyone that’s thinking about getting a set or two or three, all I can say is you’ll kick yourself if you don’t.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have to endorse the comments of others who have received their Wessex parts. Mine arrived today. They are beautifully printed and securely packed and should make any Wessex model truly a standout. Thanks, Alan.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Thanks 1