+++ Semovente 75/18 M40-M41 - Finished +++

I’ll join in with this. 

resized_026d95eb-4387-44b9-9fda-50fd91d0

The Semovente was a self propelled anti tank gun based on the Fiat Ansaldo M13/40 medium tank chassis. It served in North Africa and during the Italian campaign. The model is an Italeri 2007 rebox of a 1975 ESCI kit. These old ESCI kits are rather nice and the quality well ahead of their time. It’s good that Italeri have rebox Ed many of them as there is a paucity of the tanks in the range from other kit makers. 

Anyway on to the kit. Two nice and crisp sand colour sprues. Nothing overly complex but clean and crisp. Not bad for nearly 50 year old moulds, though probably only around 30 or so when boxed. 

resized_9e9f5b98-e1fe-43f9-80df-2f6aeeb9

Four page instructions, some introductory information, a set of plastic tracks and a nice transfer sheet. 

resized_d62faade-be5c-4a88-886a-463241c9

resized_87c159a2-406f-49cf-b468-cc1fb5b6

With colour call outs for 4 versions, including one used by the Germans. 

resized_27b3324a-859e-471b-a27e-8d87f642

• Like 6

I built this ESCI kit soon after it came out. It was a nice little kit.

Now, if only you could use an image host that allowed direct viewing of the photos. To see them, I have to click on each line of code then right-click Open Image In New Tab.

Also, you are using Village.Photos. This site is not secure and I didn't think we were allowed to use that on this forum anymore because of their lack of security.

Chris

The hull went together quickly and the running gear has been added, everything took next to no time to clean up and everything fits together well. it’s not that big. 

resized_eeaf825f-7005-44d6-bdb9-447cb71f

Italeri/ESCI provide a fair amount of interior detail, including a driver and commander. Unfortunately, the figures are in Italian Cree gear and as I’m making one commandeered by the Germans they’re not really useable. 

resized_2abd0499-1d9f-4001-b3b3-94f4e0e2

Anybody know the interior colour of Italian WW2 tanks? Grey, cream, white?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been busy and then away on holiday for a couple of weeks so nothing’s been done for a while. Got a chance to sit down and do some work so here we are. Turret assembled and the cannon put together too. 

resized_1c866306-6d24-475a-a095-9010e237

interior painted, in the absence of anything solid in the way of evidence I’ve painted it cream with olive seats. The interior isn’t quite accurate, the commander, who was also the gunner had a round seat on the right hand side further forward, almost in line with the driver, while the loader sat behind the driver on the ammunition boxes. The interior was cramped even for just 3 men and when in action the main hatches needed to be kept open. Anyway I’ve decided to keep things as they are, life’s too short for detail that won’t necessarily be seen. I’ll add some contrast with a wash once the paint has dried. 

resized_73e99594-eee1-417b-a02b-2e2f309e

There’s a layer of black in the engine compartment as the grills on the rear decking can be seen through. 

• Like 4

The hull more or less done and the turret fairly well finished. 

resized_35909071-ecc6-472f-873a-4a43ead9

Couldn't resist popping them together. There’s a bit more to do before they go together permanently, the track guards need fixed after the tracks and before that painting the lower hull. 

• Like 3

Lower hull sides painted and the tracks added.  They’re a bit loose so I’ll probably see if I can glue them down a bit once I’ve added the track guards. 

resized_4812d8e7-b5d3-42b1-bc9b-b7f7d2d3

• Like 4

On 7/31/2023 at 11:29 PM, dogsbody said:

Are we allowed to use Village.Photos ? I thought we weren't supposed to, as they are not a secure hosting site. 

Chris

I wasn’t aware it was an issue. I’ve used them for years without any issues. I know that on some platforms the pictures don’t automatically appear but are visible if right clicked. 

Track guards and turret on. There’s a wee bit of filler needed but not much. 

resized_3337b2f8-a6f9-4988-994a-7f3f9d8f

Then most of the detail parts added and a couple of base layer coats of sand. 

resized_0b270dc4-8b6b-4c0c-91b9-f029156e

Cue now some squiggle painting. Unfortunately, one of the tracks has split but I think I can probably bodge a reasonable fix. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Now the splotchy camouflage with Revell olivgrun and Lifecolour Chocolate Brown. 

resized_6fff1ec4-43bc-4665-a587-5b1a24c7

and then the transfers on. 

resized_aa015217-ed0c-4646-8c3d-f0c2c182

• Like 2

Then all the little bits, which fought like mad and kept falling off. The tools just wouldn’t fit under the the brackets so minor surgery was required. The botch for the broken track involved copious amounts of Hypo GS cement and isn’t really satisfactory. 

resized_8e6ae69d-a946-4b8d-ba50-231f8370

But it is done and just in time for the gallery. 

• Like 4

• 825 changed the title to +++ Semovente 75/18 M40-M41 - Finished +++