HAWKER SEA HURRICANE MK.IIb - Conversion of the 1/48 Hasegawa Hawker Hurricane IIb

This is a conversion of the Hasegawa Hawker Hurricane MkIIb boxing to represent

Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.IIb JS355

800 NAS.  HMS Biter

Operation Torch, Nov ‘42

Lt Cdr JM Bruen

This is the last aircraft Bruen scored an air to air victory in.  I should do a family shot as I have built an aircraft, flown by Bruen of each type he scored in Skua, Fulmar, Sea Hurricane I and Sea Hurricane IIb.

Kit: 1/48 Hasegawa Hurricane IIB

Work done:-

·       Removed Lower kit fuselage and in its place grafted in the lower fuselage of the Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane I kit which was adapted to fit.

·       Fixed the curvature of lower fuselage walls which was missing from the Hasegawa kit.

·       Reshaped the top of the engine cowling to better represent the rounded top of the Hurricane nose.

·       Sanded the wing tips to the triangular cross section.

·       All control surfaces removed, reshaped where necessary and refitted slightly animated.

·       Various lumps and bumps removed from the cowling to better represent the Hurricane IIb.

·       Pilot harness from paper.

·       Paint is Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats enamels.

·       Nationality Markings are sprayed using homemade masks.  Serial number is homemade decal.  Stencils are kit decals.

Big call out of thanks to @Troy Smith for his help and advice.  The Hurricane Guru.  I hope I got it about right (though I need to sort out that prop blade tip).

The stencils have silvered which is a shame as I thought the surface was smooth enough but note to self to do it better next time.

52997560777_fe72bd8d38_o.jpg

52998305344_df240d1e3f_o.jpg

52997560747_8cdb0a1ccb_o.jpg

52998157231_fc6c899b3b_o.jpg

52997560712_cb44c9fac3_o.jpg

52998631493_f5acfb7d34_o.jpg

52998157251_0d87e8c81c_o.jpg

Lastly the aircraft of its display base.

52998157291_818ae02856_o.jpg

Anyway, thanks for stopping by.  I need to go figure what I am going to build in the Fleet Air Arm Group build now...

Edited by Grey Beema
Photo repeated so I changed it..
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Lovely build and finish GB - a great save on the sprayed markings and I do like the underside weathering,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

For those interested, these are other models (all 1:48) I have complete of aircraft the John Bruen scored air to air victories in one of each type:-

Blackburn Skua II 803 Squadron HMS Ark Royal, Mediterranean, Summer 1940  (completed 2021)

51260477340_5e1112c43b_o.jpg

Fairey Fulmar I 803 Squadron HMS Formidable, Mediterranean,  Spring 1941  (completed 2023)

52840459188_fb62cb1d0e_o.jpg

Hawker Sea Hurricane I 800 NAS HMS Indomitable Operation Pedestal Aug-1942  (completed 2018)

43357601352_5a792c44a2_o.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

Question? Why the U.S. markings on a RN aircraft?

Operation Torch or the invasion of French North Africa, the French where still sulking after Mers-el-Kebir and it was thought that the Vichy French would be more likely to offer less resistance to a US invasion than a British one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard S said:

That’s a really nice model and an interesting subject. Its three stablemates are equally nice, I particularly like the Fulmar, could I ask which kit you used? Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Richard.

The Skua & Fulmar are both Special Hobby (1/48) The Sea Hurricane I is Airfix.  The Fulmar was part of the Salty Sea Dog GB earlier this year.

Wonderful looking Sea Hurricane in Torch markings.  I'm sure the French fell for the hype that a rogue bunch of Americans, stole some British aircraft, overpainted the roundels with yellow ringed stars and the British were totally unaware.  Bad Yanks, Bad Yanks.  How on earth did Lt. Cmdr. Bruen manage to shoot anything down with the Fulmar and the Skua.  Had to be an Italian biplane or something similar.  Well done on making all of these kits in his honor.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgeusa said:

How on earth did Lt. Cmdr. Bruen manage to shoot anything down with the Fulmar and the Skua. 

The Fulmar shot down more enemy aircraft than any other FAA fighter.  Not just Italian biplanes - which because of their manoeuvrability would have presented real problems!  Mainly enemy bombers, which is what it and the Skua were designed to do.  Remember what the opposition was when they were designed!  They were not intended to go fighting with land-based fighters several years later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Thank you Richard.

The Skua & Fulmar are both Special Hobby (1/48) The Sea Hurricane I is Airfix.  The Fulmar was part of the Salty Sea Dog GB earlier this year.

Thanks for that, just read your thread on your Fulmar, very interesting not to say inspiring. I think I can see a Fulmar in my near future.

Thanks again.

46 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The Fulmar shot down more enemy aircraft than any other FAA fighter.  Not just Italian biplanes - which because of their manoeuvrability would have presented real problems!  Mainly enemy bombers, which is what it and the Skua were designed to do.  Remember what the opposition was when they were designed!  They were not intended to go fighting with land-based fighters several years later.

As Graham states, the early fleet fighters were not really designed to fight land based aircraft but acquitted themselves well.  In terms of fleet defence, forcing your opposition to jettison their weapons or not take time to aim properly was also considered success.

Below are Cdr JM Bruen’s victories by type. 

Blackburn Skua II

·         03.07.40.  (1830) Curtis Hawk Damaged.  (1910) Moraine 46 Damaged.  (1930) Breguet Br.521 Damaged.

·         06.07.40.  Shadowing flying boat Shared Destroyed

·         09.07.40.  Z506B Shared Destroyed.

·         02.08.40.  Z01 Shared Destroyed.

·         31.08.40.  1/3 Cant Z501 Shared Destroyed, ½ S.79 Shared Destroyed, off Balearic Isles.

Fairey Fulmar I

·         21.03.41.  Ju88 Destroyed.  Nr Gaudhos Island.

·         22.04.41 ½ Ju88 Shared Damaged.  E. Tripoli

·         08.05.41 ½ He111 Shared Destroyed. Alexandria-Malta.

·         26.05.41 ½ Ju88 Shared Damaged on ground.  Create area

Sea Hurricane I

·         12.08.42.  Ju88 Destroyed, S79 Destroyed, S84 Shared Destroyed, Ju88 Probably Destroyed. 

Sea Hurricane IIb

·         8.11.42. DW520 Destroyed over Oran airfield.

Regards

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard S said:

Thanks for that, just read your thread on your Fulmar, very interesting not to say inspiring. I think I can see a Fulmar in my near future.

Thanks again.

Good luck with your Fulmar.  I see lots of filler and sanding in your future..