Tactical numbers of Fw 190F-8s of SG2?

Sturmovik

Hello everyone, it's been a while.

Does anyone know if I/SG2 had Fw 190F-8s numbered Red (or Blue) 1 and 3? There're two know photos of Red (or Blue) 2 and 9, so I assume the former was the case.

54Tb6uI.jpeg

Cheers!

I have always found the depiction of "9" (and the "2" of "Winkel 2") to be puzzling.  A red Kennung, with so many Bolsheviks wearing red in the same sky?  Seems unlikely.

Unfortunately, while I have references for many Fw 190Fs of the II/SG 2 in 1944, only a few from I/SG 2  (Werknummern a-plenty, but few Kennung).  As to the I/SG 2, Hptm. Herbert Bauer, Gruppenkommandeur (Ritterkreuz mit Eichenlaub, over 1,000 Feindflüge) bailed out of Fw 190F-8 WNr.933452 "blaue 0" 4.Feb. 1945, SE of Stuhlweißenburg, after being wounded (again) by a Soviet fighter.  This leads me to think that "Winkel 2" may have a blue number as well -- but this is supposition on my part, the 'data sample' being so small.

In June 1944, the II/SG 2 transitioned from using letters to using numerals (I can provide examples if needed).

The cowl front on "Winkel 2" -- contemporary color photos show these to be dark gray, not red.  This seems to be another example of artists imitating each other (If it's red in one color illustration, it becomes red in the next one.).  Anyone else recall 'Assi' Hahn's Bf 109F-1 WNr.5741 of the III/JG 2 which 'became' red in Profile Publication No.184, ©1967 (despite it never having been red)?  Artwork, and even kit-supplied decals had it red, and you can likely still find examples on the infernalnet-that-never-forgets.

An observation on the decal instructions:  all of these examples had the ventral ETC rack (not illustrated).

GRM

Edited by G.R.Morrison
Fix typo (because 'Lapsus calami Happens')
  • Like 5

@G.R.Morrison thanks for the response. I assume then there weren't any Fs with other numbers aside from 2 and 9 under service with I/SG2, is that correct? If so, I'll direct my attention to an SG4 machine in Italy, which I have photos of.

Edited by Sturmovik

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

I assume then there weren't any Fs with other numbers aside from 2 and 9 under service with I/SG2

Goodness, they had a full complement, and it wasn't uncommon for an airframe to be re-marked/re-numbered when repaired, but surviving photo evidence for I/SG 2 is skimpy.

As to your I/SG 4 bird in Italy, by the time they received their F-8s, and staged some photos (multiple aircraft in the open, etc.), they were immediately transferred to Estonia to deal with the immense Soviet offensive of the summer of 1944.  If you see photos of the 'tropic painted' SG 4 machines with ordnance (usually a SC250), these are already on the Ostfront.  Photo-examples I could send you include "weiße 11" of the 1./SG 4 and "schwarze 9" of the 2./SG 4 (I don't have a photo-hosting service, so cannot imbed images here).

Good luck with your build,

GRM

• Like 2

4 hours ago, G.R.Morrison said:

Goodness, they had a full complement, and it wasn't uncommon for an airframe to be re-marked/re-numbered when repaired, but surviving photo evidence for I/SG 2 is skimpy.

That does it then, I'll go for an F-8 numbered either Red 1 or Red 3. I know it may not have been the correct colour after what you shared, but it'll make for a colourful plane and have a stark contrast against the 1941 camouflage and white camouflage.

Thanks!