Extra late entry! Hs-126 under new ownership in North Africa

spacer.png

Thanks to my working rota, I entered this past weekend with four reasonably full days of modelling planned. I had been eyeing up an airliner model for some time to take advantage of the good weather - I usually rattle can in the garden - but alas the weather man put an end to that. So while browsing the shelves for inspiration I stumbled on this tiny box I had picked up at a show recently. Its a very basic kit from Zvezda intended for their wargaming series for which their 1/100 tank range is also designed. They have released a strange mix of aircraft, including the Fairey Battle and Po-2 in this scale which are very frustrating for 144th modellers as they are much wanted kits but require a lot of work to bring up to display standard.

spacer.png

As evidenced here, the aircraft completely lacks a cockpit area at all - just a flush fuselage join. Wouldn't be the worst thing in an aircraft with full cockpit, but with the Henshel's open design, its very evident. I hacked away at the thick plastic to open the cockpit area and from sheet styrene, cut a small floor and a seatback/panel area to fill the space between pilot and gunner.

spacer.png

Rudementary, but it fills the void. Pictures I can find suggest a lighter, maybe RLM02 colour for the interior, but I went with RLM66 to hide the absense of any detail. The canopy part itself is also incredibly thick and I had to open up the back which was originally solid.

spacer.png

Lots of putty needed around several of the joints. The kit was originally designed for push fit, so you'll often find generous fitting tolerances on these to aide tool-less production.

spacer.png

As to the paint scheme and setting. The kit comes with a small sheet of generic decals but I wanted to make something more interesting, so while browsing online I found this excellent account of a Henshel which fell into Australian hands in North Africa

https://www.magazine.ipmsnsw.com/37-1/henschel/henschel 1.htm

There are several photographs, but this one was most interesting to me as it is a combination of the original German mottled camo, with RAF roundels, Luftwaffe codes and a bright red nose!

I am not normally too interested in reproducing captured types as often they rarely if ever actually flew, but the photos and reports suggest this did fly in recon service for the Australians, as well as on joy rides for the mechanics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Based on a selection of pictures and models, I went for the classic RLM79 scheme with some mottling - I will tone this down slightly with a filter before it is complete.

spacer.png

The weekend work bench.

• Like 4

Cool story in the link, thanks. I like captured planes... nice to see the tech of the other side but without their hate symbols all over it. Nice work at 1/144. I hope to give it a go someday if I ever stumbled on something cheap... I've seen mixed scales used in dioramas to produce depth and it was really cool.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2023 at 5:24 AM, marvinneko said:

Nice work at 1/144. I hope to give it a go someday if I ever stumbled on something cheap...

Thank you. There are some really good value kits in 144th and they are often good fun to build. Check out the lovely Beacon Models Spitfire/Emil boxing recently released for a very well done kit in scale.

• Like 1

spacer.png

I decalled up the Henschel using a mix of the kit decals and some lettering from a Warbird sheet.

The white rear fuselage stripe comes from a Buffalo kit which has a white stripe for a captured example in Japanese service - seemed appropriate.

spacer.png

I then overpainted the Crosses with thinned 'Middle Stone' as this seems like a colour that would have been readily available to an RAAF crew at this point.

The paint was very thin so when it dries, the crosses are even more visible.

Next step will be roundels on top of this.

• Like 4

spacer.png

Roundels applied using a Mark 1 Decals set. To create the unusual fuselage markings seen in the photo above - red, blue and yellow but no white - I overlaid two decals.

spacer.png

No worries about the decals conforming as the kit is bereft of panel lines.

The crosses are just visible under the roundels as some reports of the He-126 suggest.

Next step varnish and to add some representation of the missing struts.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...