Jump to content

Yet another Airfix Bentley Blower


Recommended Posts

I'm slowly starting the ground work on my next project which will be a full restoration of a already built Pocher rolls royce phantom ii.  Like on the Bentley,  I will make many modifications and add ons but to do so, I need to find documentation on the real car. What I'm manly looking for is drawings, section views, pictures... Anything that can show me how the valve train was built and driven. So if anyone knows where to find such info,  please let me know. 

Thanks 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, The guy from quebec said:

I'm slowly starting the ground work on my next project which will be a full restoration of a already built Pocher rolls royce phantom ii.  Like on the Bentley,  I will make many modifications and add ons but to do so, I need to find documentation on the real car. What I'm manly looking for is drawings, section views, pictures... Anything that can show me how the valve train was built and driven. So if anyone knows where to find such info,  please let me know. 

Thanks 

 

Hi François :)

Finally, you bought it 😉

I don't know if it could help, but you can already follow this link to a Pocher Rolls Royce builder. 

Click on Build notes 1 and 2.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Thierry ! I had already found vol 1 but the vol 2 is new to me. Wow!! That will help a lot. What i'm still missing is details on how the rocker arms and valves are driven, I just can't find any info on this. Are they driven via a gear drive or a timing chain and at which end would that drive be? Any info would help!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, The guy from quebec said:

Thanks Thierry ! I had already found vol 1 but the vol 2 is new to me. Wow!! That will help a lot. What i'm still missing is details on how the rocker arms and valves are driven, I just can't find any info on this. Are they driven via a gear drive or a timing chain and at which end would that drive be? Any info would help!!

I've not yet found any evidence, but, I've read that timing belts were used for the first time in 1953, and that timing chains were commonly used on cars since 1960.

I guess that in 1932, on your Rolls the camshaft driven by gears, as on my Bugatti or on the Alfa 8C

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,  quick update on my progress of the last month. 

The display case is almost finished,  I'm waiting for some .5mm dia wire to do the lighting.  The control box is done including a 3d printed CR2425 button cell box and quick disconnect connector. While I'm waiting for the wire to come in, I started the body dressing. I reprinted a new body (same size and shape as my previous one, the kit's body doesn't fit properly) but without the openings that a wooden frame would leave. It will make wrapping much easier. 

I tested 2 different materials,  a very thin leather and a glossy 4 way stretch fabric. Both do a good jod but I find the glossy one looks more like the rexine used on the real car. I'lI do a full wrapping test on a newly printed body before making my final choice. 

I also started designing all the parts that will be installed on the body, wind screen,  soft top frame, light fixtures... I  want to have as many mounting holes in the body before printing the final version. 

As usual,  here's the link to the album. New pictures at the end. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p2DahEAtoFRgju8eA

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I, too, think the engine of the RR Phantom has shaft-driven camshaft, altho' I can find no evidence for this even with internet searches for rolls-royce phantom II engine parts. However, I did find at www.fiennesparts.uk a catalogue of parts for the same with photos (and prices) but without any details of the camshaft drive.  To make best use of this website you will have to be very specific about the model of the Phantom II in which you're interested.

 

My search also found www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classic-india/131178-rolls-royce-phantom-ii-continental-restoration with 5 pages about a restoration that has much detail while again failing to deal with the camshaft drive.

 

An option I haven't explored is to search internet sites, eg ebay or prewarcar.com, for camshaft drive parts.

 

I will continue to follow your thread for developments.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Here's another up date. 

I thought that I had finally found the right material for the body covering.  It's was a vinyl menbrane used to wrap over a car when you want to change color. The thickness was right,  the color and finish were also right but it turned out to be just to difficult to achieve a level of quality that goes with the rest of the build.  So I finaly decided to paint my 3d printed body instead. I used a satin black from revell and it looks very good. I designed and fabricated the foldable top frame,  printed all the windscreen components and started upholstering the interior. 

Here's the link to the album,  new pictures at the end. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p2DahEAtoFRgju8eA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Francois, take a look at JRH ScaleModels website.

John Haddock has a wealth of useful information on it about his Pocher Rolls Royce build plus other models you will find interesting. John does a lot of 3D printing of internal workings so you might find that contacting him might be mutually beneficial.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John is very approachable Francois. You will find him a very interesting man if you make contact with him. We send each other an email every now and again.

When he was building his Napier Railton model it was difficult at the time for him to visit the UK to visit Brooklands to fully research the car, so I sent him all my photos from when I did my build.

You might be interested to know that John lives in Florida in winter and has a place in Canada he moves to for the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone 

Here's what's been done since my last post. 

1- all interior upholstery done

2- after a few iteration, ajustable front seats are done

3-rear seat with removable cushion done

4- wooden floor done (removable rear floor)

5- windscreen and windshields installed 

6- and for what I think is a first on a 1/12 scale bentley blower, a retractable soft top frame. See little video (Soft top still to come)

 

Rather than linking to the complete photo album, this link will show only what's new.

 

Britmodeller album 

 

Edited by The guy from quebec
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, The guy from quebec said:

Hello everyone 

Here's what's been done since my last post. 

1- all interior upholstery done

2- after a few iteration, ajustable front seats are done

3-rear seat with removable cushion done

4- wooden floor done (removable rear floor)

5- windscreen and windshields installed 

6- and for what I think is a first on a 1/12 scale bentley blower, a retractable soft top frame. See little video (Soft top still to come)

 

Rather than linking to the complete photo album, this link will show only what's new.

 

Britmodeller album 

 


Hello François  :)


You did a stunning job on this Bentley. She's absolutely gorgeous !
I would like to cross the "pond" another time to have a closer sight on this beauty 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2024 at 03:14, Noel Smith said:

John is very approachable Francois. You will find him a very interesting man if you make contact with him. We send each other an email every now and again.

When he was building his Napier Railton model it was difficult at the time for him to visit the UK to visit Brooklands to fully research the car, so I sent him all my photos from when I did my build.

You might be interested to know that John lives in Florida in winter and has a place in Canada he moves to for the summer.

Thank you for the tip Noël, 

I contacted John and he sent me some very nice original drawings of the Phantom engine. Hand made drawings no less, just like I used to do when I started my career some 35 years ago. I now have all I need to make a functional valve train. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Francois.  Very glad to hear that you made contact with John, and that he was able to help you with information for your Pocher Rolls Royce restoration.

Noel

Edited by Noel Smith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the dashboard is done and with it,  so is this build. I still need to finish the display case and to do a good dusting. 

A bit more than 1 year to complete.  Here is the link to the full pictures gallery,  dashboard pictures and the end.

Britmodeller 2024-06-13

Edited by The guy from quebec
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

François, you brought car model making to another dimension  !

This level of achievement, in terms of realism, the finesse and abundance of incredible minute details, and the unprecedented quality of execution, is no longer modelling, but art, enhanced by incredible magician's skills, when the rest of us, poor mortals, are just conjurers.
I can't wait to cross the pond again to admire it up close., and congratulate you again in person 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...