A brace of Italian Starfighters

One can never have too many Starfighters! :D

I knew I wanted to build an Italian F-104S in this GB.  But which colour scheme: the classic camouflage or the later air defence scheme?  So I asked myself WWEMD?  Simple answer:  build 'em both!  :lol:

spacer.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

So what are you going to do with the J-model kit?

All the Hasegawa single-seat Starfighter kits are identical, so I can simply build an S variant from it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

All the Hasegawa single-seat Starfighter kits are identical, so I can simply build an S variant from it.

Are you sure Enzo old mate, I thought the S came with different intakes and exhaust as well as the auxiliary filets, I don't recall seeing those in any of my G based kits. 

The good news is that the J kit is the same as a G so you're golden there.

This is based on the kits I have, its been a long time since I looked at them and there have been several different boxings so who knows?

One in the green/grey scheme the other in the grey scheme?

42 minutes ago, Wez said:

Are you sure Enzo old mate, I thought the S came with different intakes and exhaust as well as the auxiliary filets, I don't recall seeing those in any of my G based kits. 

I was convinced it was so, but apparently not.  You are correct, Wez. Thanks for catching that.  The F-104S kit has an additional sprue labelled E which carries the parts needed for the S.

Hopefully I have another S kit in The Stash which I can use.  If not, I have options.  I have decals for an Italian G in the green/grey scheme, albeit not in the markings I would have liked.  I also want to mount Sparrow/Aspide missiles on this scheme which the G did not carry.

Another option is that the Italeri kit has the relevant ventral strakes which could be used. I would have to forgo the different intakes on the S, but then I've never been able to see the difference anyway.  

Unfortunately the J box also lacks the thicker wheels and bulged wheel well doors used on most F-104Gs. And lacks the MB seat.

It's still possible to use the J to build a very early Italian G in the natural metal scheme though...

24 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Unfortunately the J box also lacks the thicker wheels and bulged wheel well doors used on most F-104Gs. And lacks the MB seat.

For the seat and wheels I can use aftermarket resin.  I think I can modify the kit doors.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm sure you have all seen the sprues many times before.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This srue is only included in the F-104S boxing.  It holds the bulged undercarriage bay doors, Martin Baker ejection seat and ventral strakes specific to the S version.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Assembly is identical for both.  I used the standard gun port fairing on the G kit and filled it later.

spacer.png

Plenty of room for ballast.  :thumbsup: 

spacer.png

The models build up quickly with no problems.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Into the paint shop.

The ASA version was sprayed overall with Lifecolor UA-565 Spartan Grey.  The standard S was sprayed with UA-108 Dark Sea Grey.

spacer.png

The standard S then had its disruptive pattern masked using Blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex.

spacer.png

The green was sprayed with Lifecolor UA-001 and the undersurfaces with aluminium paint from a rattle can.

Both models then had some detail painting and touchups.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Not bad for an afternoon's work :yes:.

They've actually been in progress since the start of the groupbuild.  I've done my usual trick of neglecting to dcument the builds.  :banghead: 

• Haha 1

These look great Enzo. I was thinking about the same subjects for the NATO GB next year...but there are so many F-104-possibilities.

Anyway, these are lovely,

Alan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angus Tura said:

I was thinking about the same subjects for the NATO GB next year...but there are so many F-104-possibilities.

Italian, German, Belgian, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, Turkish...  That's a whole collection of itself! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Italian, German, Belgian, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, Turkish...  That's a whole collection of itself! 

...and you missed USAF and Canada!

• Like 1