AMI Spillone - late QRA

Chrisj2003

Not cleared either F-4 from the bench, but making progress and waiting for paint to dry so I thought I'd get this together, as top photo:

• Hasegawa F-104S
  • Master pitot
  • Wolkpak decals
  • Hasegawa weapon set for AIM-9L

All still in bags. And second photo some reference material. I fancy the QRA with 2 sidewinders from 2004, although the only photo I can find of MM6763 (my preferred option from decal sheet as I like that "M" swoosh) as a ASA-M shows clean and no stores, see link: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Italy-Air-Force/Lockheed-Aeritalia-F-104S-Starfighter/1290763  That link does confirm that the decal sheet is correct with the 4o Stormo famous emblem a black horse on white rather then outline on black.

I shouldn't start but I probably will. :fool:

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

although the only photo I can find of MM6763 (my preferred option from decal sheet as I like that "M" swoosh) as a ASA-M shows clean and no stores,

I’ll look to my stash of ‘104 books :) 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Still not cleared the Phantoms but made a start, assembled a pilot, painted him and painted the IP (macro shows touch-up needed), started on the sidewinders and exhaust. Need to get canopy mask.

Any views on the pilot?

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

• IP improved, even though with the cover things above and the pilot figure in it will; be very hard to see
  • Exhaust pipe painted, it is duller IRL
  • Rear fuselage assembled (the exhaust nozzle is just in there as a spacer)
  • Main u/c bay progressed

Still on with ejection seat

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Glad to see this one underway, Chris, it’s such a lovely little kit.

Gerard, agree but I’ve only ever finished one. I’ve another that’s been at 90% for 20 years, and 7(?) more to do. Plenty of attractive schemes. 

Chris

Two ends of fuselage assembled. There are different ideas about the best way of assembling this kit, but  I have followed the instructions, nearly; I'll put the intakes on after front and rear are together. Looks to be some work to do on front seams which will be easier while a separate piece, and I need to paint behind the splitter plates.

• The mating of front and rear relies on the undercarriage bay, which you can't halve, so I don't fancy assembling the side first.
  • The undercarriage is vulnerable, but if you don't put it in the last job becomes fairing the strip of fuselage between doors in, and that risk the legs.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A week in Southern Europe (Mallorca) with Mrs J. Wing reaffixed, along with tail, and extra ventral fins or S. A bit of putty so wing is totally faired in. Once that's sanded smooth there's the wingtip tanks to add.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fibreglass square on understand done; bit of paint bleed under mask, bottom right of square, needs tidying up.

Normal glacial pace here. Has been a lovely varied GB, thanks to @Wez @RidgeRunner @Corsairfoxfouruncle I didn't realise how popular USAAF P-51s and Spanish AV-8s would be.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1