Longshanks - Kev

Dads203

It’s with a very heavy heart that I type this up, but I've just been notified that Kev passed away this morning at 10:30. He had been suffering with a long term illness for a number of years now, My thoughts go out to Jen and his family. 

Just gutted to lose my best friend. He will be missed. 

• Sad 23

Very sad news Kev was always willing to help and give advice and have a laugh it was a real pleasure watching his creations come together.

RIP Kev a true gent.  :poppy:

Keith

• Thanks 1

So very sad.  Thanks for sharing that Dan.  

Kev was the reason I joined Britmodeller and plunged into maritime modelling.  He was hugely supportive and his work remains inspirational.  He made a particular form of modelling his own, namely depicting very evocative vignette scenes with a maritime theme but not entirely conventional, I teased him about his "lyrical modelling", others referred to it perhaps more aptly as "poetical modelling".  I had the pleasure to meet him at Telford and as Keith says he was a true gent.  The Covid period curtailed his life to a huge degree given his chronic illness, which was an enormous frustration to him.

I shall miss him enormously as I know many others on the site will too.  It will be considerably less entertaining without his sharp wit and acute reflections.

RIP Kev

Rob

• Thanks 7

I am very much saddened by this news. I only knew Kev through these pages but enjoyed his delightful creations, his sense of humour & willingness to share his techniques with us all. A sad day indeed.

RIP Kev.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thus is so very sad. His work on this site and his comments in general were a pleasure to read. I learned to always look at all of his posts, not just threads that he started.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. 

• Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear of Kev's passing.

He was a true gentleman.   His modelling skills, sense of humour, advice, and willingness to help will be missed.

Condolences to his family and friends.

John

• Thanks 1

To all Kev’s friends who have enjoyed his enthusiasm, support and advice to say nothing of his very wicked humour over the years I would like to thank you all. I have known Kev for 59 years, we first sat together in School way back when and have been muckers ever since. I would like to tell you that your support and banter has been the primary motivation for Kev over the years, he has really thrived on your interactions with him and contributed to him always wanting to improve and extend his modelling wherever he could. I am the very proud owner of the tribute he made to my Father on the beach at Dunkirk all those years ago which now holds an even more precious place in my display cabinet. I have lost someone very precious today but what has helped is seeing all your wonderful comments and support. Thank you all. Derek

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

It is so sad to hear this. Like a number of other people, I never met Kev, but he was an inspiration to me and my maritime modelling, and I have lost count of the number of times he helped me out with various projects.

Rest in peace, Kev, and thanks for everything, and all my condolences to his family and friends

Ray

• Thanks 1

Thanks for letting us know Dan. Very sorry to hear this. I'm not sure if I met him up at Telford a few yeas ago, when I met you. My condolences to his family.

John.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks for letting us know Dan. Very sorry to hear this. I'm not sure if I met him up at Telford a few yeas ago, when I met you. My condolences to his family.

John.

You certainly did John, I think it was 2019? 

• Thanks 1

Sad news indeed, I'm another that only knew Kev through his builds here, but they demonstrated some great techniques and were inspirational in many ways.

My condolences go to his family and friends. 

• Thanks 1

On 07/06/2023 at 12:03, Dads203 said:

It’s with a very heavy heart that I type this up, but I've just been notified that Kev passed away this morning at 10:30. He had been suffering with a long term illness for a number of years now, My thoughts go out to Jen and his family. 

Just gutted to lose my best friend. He will be missed. 

That's very sad.  I only met him once, but often watched his progress on various unusual, mainly ship related projects, and they were very interesting.  He was quite a talented guy.  Sorry I missed the initial post, but I've been tied up looking after my old folks a bit this week, and not had much time for the site.  RIP. :(

• Thanks 1

This is really sad news.  Like many others I never met the man but feel a very personal sense of loss.  I lived in awe of his creations.  With an artist’s eye for detail and colour, he went beyond merely making a realistic diorama into something that captured the essence of the scene.  I think in particular of his diorama of the cottage at Penberth Cove (called “The Return” or similar): he got every detail so right that I’m sure it would have smelt of the sea, fish guts and old ropes.  His model of the Mount’s Bay fishing boat was another memorable creation.

A sad farewell to not just a very skilled modeller but a creative artist.  A very sad loss to our community.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very sad news. Kev was always both cheerful and very helpful in his comments and certainly a great modeller. I met him here on BM's ship modelling section and enjoyed his input and thoughts which he kindly offered. The world once again feels a bit emptier.

RIP Kev

• Thanks 1