Academy AH-64A 1/48

spacer.png

I have been looking forward to making this for a little while now.

I wish I could make this into an UK Apache but there doesn't seem to be any decals, I suppose I could scour my leftovers and add an union jack or something. 🤓

• Like 2

I have missed some photos and have the cockpit mostly together and painted.

spacer.png

I've brushed on some klear on and intend to use a pin wash after having tried my first attempt at dry brushing.

• Like 3

Cockpit and fuselage together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sure I like all this dark coloured plastic, it makes it difficult to see what your doing!

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 1

I've been making steady progress with my apache, the instructions hint at how it should be put together so progress is slow and tentative with lots of dry fitting and hmmm moments.

Also the fur of the fuselage and the engine sections are quite bad and I have removed a lot of detail at the joins and it's going to take a lot of effort to get them back to ‘spec’.

I was searching for engine compartment photos as I didn't have sufficient data and I found this.....

spacer.png

Wow... Want one. 🤓

Edited by Bill1974

It would of been great if they had built the Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne as we may of gotten this instead of the Apache.😐

It all goes round and round they always go back to the old designs as they worked.

Pete

• Like 1

I really cannot see how anyone in their right mind would believe that the instructions for this kit were up to the mark.

They are sooooooooo vague that the machine gun mount has and is an absolute nightmare.

Poor doesn't come close.

I've had to find and study photos and attempt to relate that to the borrow show of this subset construction.

There's just nothing to relate one part to the other, no knib, locator, recess, nothing but a few bloody arrows vaguely pointing.

My Top Trumps card right now

Frustration - 10
Energy stored for lightning hands aimed at ‘Academy’ - 10
Likelihood of injury to those responsible at ‘Academy’ - 10
Understanding that not all jobs are easy or simple - 0

Sense of humour - 0

Satisfaction - 0

Oooh I could crush a grape.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow on this one as the instructions are so very vague.

I have, sadly not taken any photos to show progress and have finished the build and need to polish off a few of the grab handles I have left off until just before painting.

I'll post some photos when get the handles on 🤓

I have a hole in the LH side of the bulge, see photo.

spacer.png

Area highlighted in red - what is this for? I see nothing the instructions and I do not see this on any photo I have which is enough at 475 photos.

The instructions are shocking and I've had to scour the photos to see where some of the grab handles and standing handles are placed to inspect engines and such.

• Like 2

Bill, I feel your pain. I built this kit a few years ago. The directions were so bad that I left off a lot of the fiddly bits because I couldn't clearly see where they were supposed to go. It ended up being a WIF. Now I'm working on a couple of Apaches myself. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this kit. So far it looks like you're making good progress.

Good luck!
-O

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, oortiz10 said:

Bill, I feel your pain. I built this kit a few years ago. The directions were so bad that I left off a lot of the fiddly bits because I couldn't clearly see where they were supposed to go. It ended up being a WIF. Now I'm working on a couple of Apaches myself. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this kit. So far it looks like you're making good progress.

Thanks Oortiz.

I've made steady progress and have added the small handles and stuff ready for priming.

I'm not all that happy with my efforts with the rods and such beneath the main blades.  The clear cockpit parts were a nightmare too.  I'm not doing too well with canopies.

I've some plastic clearing solution that makes it seem new again, to fully opaque that is used on car reflective headlight plastic thingy.

I'm hope that will allow me to get my rather sorry attempts of ‘glass’ out of the doldrums and clear and presentable again.

It's a skill that I have not found easy much like my struggles with dry brushing. I'm getting better at both of the skills but I'm not ‘there’ yet.

Still lots of fun and getting better all the time 🤓👍

I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Hi Bill,

nice going on the Apache.

I messed up a few canopies trying to dip them, the gloss just sort of sluiced off the smooth surface while drying. The technique clearly works well for lots of people but I ran out of canopies to test on, and never got a good result.

However I invested in some Tamiya coarse and fine polishing compounds and actually recovered them reasonably well. Some good tips if you google.

Also tried the Tamiya gloss coating varnish (small dropper bottle with gold text) afterwards which you shake, drip onto an old cloth, and buff over the canopy. This worked REALLY well. It’s pricey for the tiny bottle, but I’ve done quite a few canopies already and haven’t noticed the level drop much.

• Like 1

That's a great effort so far. I tried to build one of these a few years ago, I even went to the lengths of adding extra detail, but after breaking the tail rotor actuator rods several times along with multiple other frustrations in building this kit, it took a mach 2 arching dive into a brick wall. Oddly enough, I have their 1/72 offering which is a much nicer kit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Karearea said:

I messed up a few canopies trying to dip them, the gloss just sort of sluiced off the smooth surface while drying. The technique clearly works well for lots of people but I ran out of canopies to test on, and never got a good result.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

That's a great effort so far. I tried to build one of these a few years ago, I even went to the lengths of adding extra detail, but after breaking the tail rotor actuator rods several times along with multiple other frustrations in building this kit, it took a mach 2 arching dive into a brick wall. Oddly enough, I have their 1/72 offering which is a much nicer kit.

Thanks gents

I have had trouble with this kit.

It's seems a nice kit but the instruction are shocking.

I've had no choice but to offer up parts dry fitting whilst looking at the many photos I have hoping I can see the way to fit them.

I have also had issue with things breaking.

The main wheel mounts aren't perfect and not easy to get straight and I've ended up breaking and re glueing one of the legs to get it too sit right and after adding the rear radio antenna there was not a great deal to fix it too and that took a little more effort than I would have liked to get it right.

The gun mount was the worst of all as the instructions don't show you how it looks like, even showing items in the wrong orientation in the illustrations.

The canopy will need the new car plastic solution stuff to make it clear again and that didn't fit right either which is why I ended up mangling something I thought I had finished because it was taped, primed and painted inside and out in one piece.

I have recovered and fixed most issues and she's looking nice.

• Like 1

Photos as promised!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There have been quiet a few areas when joining the fuselage and the engine pods where detail disappeared after glueing and some sanding that I had to replace, panel lines and rivets and such.

The white staining is either filler just really thin or super glue strengthening where I add a wash of superglue to small parts and just let it set.  The parts become a little brittle but they are heck of a lot stronger with the armour plating of the glue which I have found acts like resin.

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 3