Ejército del Aire F-4C Phantom - phinished!

My hopefully first of two builds for this GB will be a Spanish Air Force F-4C Phantom, built using Fine Mold's 1/72 F-4C kit with Series Espanolas decals.

Unboxed

This is Fine Mold's recently-released "Wolf Pack 1967" boxing. Appropriate enough as Spain's F-4Cs were all ex-USAF aircraft delivered in the standard USAF SEA camouflage. (Indeed Spain was the only operator of the F-4C aside from the USAF.)

Unboxed

The Fine Molds Phantom sprues are by now pretty familiar to Phantom modelling phans, so here's a shot just to show I haven't jumped the gun to make a start yet!

Unboxed

Apart from the decals and some masks, the only aftermarket I plan to use are Reskit/Kelik 3D decals for the cockpit. I've not used 3D decals before so that will be interesting to see how they work.

Unboxed

The Series Espanolas decals look really good, and it looks like I can build any of Spain's 40 F-4Cs, which were operated by Ala 12's 121 and 122 squadrons from Torrejon AB near Madrid between 1971 and 1989.

Inspiration for this build comes from seeing @Wen's recent 1/48 scale Spanish F-4C RFI:

Wen's is a stunning model, and it made me realise just how right the F-4C in SEA camo and Spanish markings looks. So much so before I knew it I had ordered the kit from Hobby Search Japan and the decals and AM direct from Series Espanolas and Reskit, respectively.

I have no self control, sometimes!

I'm keen to make a start once the GB begins, but I will exercise just a little self control and finish my current builds first, plus I am away for work in the first half of July, so it will likely be after that before I can really progress this.

But in the meantime I'll follow everyone else's builds in this GB with great interest.

Suerte con tus construcciones,

Gerard

Edited by Wings unlevel
  • Like 12

Nice. I’ve not used the Kelik 3D decals but the Quinta ones work with FM F-4s very nicely. Do the Spanish F-4s have all the stencils?

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Great choice! I'm looking forward to this 

Thanks! Hopefully I can do it some sort of justice!

3 hours ago, Sam said:

What will it be carrying?

Good question. Most photos I can find show them carrying only tanks, while Wen’s build fueatures 500lb Expal bombs. If anyone in the BM collective can point me to some good reference material on Spanish F-4C missions and loadouts I’d very much welcome that!

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Welcome to the GB and good luck.

Thanks Wez, I’ve been looking forward to this one!

1 hour ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Do the Spanish F-4s have all the stencils?

Hopefully not! 🤣 At least there aren’t too many on the Series Espanolas decal sheet. 🤞

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

What could be better, Gerard. A Phantom and Spanish marks. Wonderful! Good luck!

Martin

Thanks Martin, Phantoms and Spain are two of my most favourite things!

• Like 1

Okay, having checked the book the only time there is a picture of an armed F-4C is of a couple sitting in a QRA shed loaded for air to air with AIM-9's (probably J's) but I cannot see if any AIM-7's are being carried (they certainly were an option) , there's also a picture of one returning from a gunnery exercise carrying a centreline SUU-16/A Vulcan cannon. The only air to ground ordnance I can see on them is the SUU-20/A weapons dispensers, and the Vulcan pod.

If you wanted a really different looking model there is a picture of an F-4C being operated in just a green primer all over, a few aircraft were flown like this as they were taken from CASA part way through overhaul as there was a shortage of serviceable aircraft. The fin tip is yellow and it is aircraft C.12-30 with the codes 122-15 on the intakes, she has the national markings on but NO stencils! 

Hope this is helpful mate.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Hope this is helpful mate.

Very helpful Craig! Thank you. I really like the idea of the gun pod, I hadn’t thought of that. I think I have one in a Hasegawa weapons somewhere. 🤔

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

NO stencils!

My kinda Phantom! 🤣 I had seen a photo of two of Spanish jets in all-over green but didn’t realise it was a primer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/06/2023 at 05:10, Wings unlevel said:

My hopefully first of two builds for this GB will be a Spanish Air Force F-4C Phantom, built using Fine Mold's 1/72 F-4C kit with Series Espanolas decals.

Unboxed

This is Fine Mold's recently-released "Wolf Pack 1967" boxing. Appropriate enough as Spain's F-4Cs were all ex-USAF aircraft delivered in the standard USAF SEA camouflage. (Indeed Spain was the only operator of the F-4C aside from the USAF.)

Unboxed

The Fine Molds Phantom sprues are by now pretty familiar to Phantom modelling phans, so here's a shot just to show I haven't jumped the gun to make a start yet!

Unboxed

Apart from the decals and some masks, the only aftermarket I plan to use are Reskit/Kelik 3D decals for the cockpit. I've not used 3D decals before so that will be interesting to see how they work.

Unboxed

The Series Espanolas decals look really good, and it looks like I can build any of Spain's 40 F-4Cs, which were operated by Ala 12's 121 and 122 squadrons from Torrejon AB near Madrid between 1971 and 1989.

Inspiration for this build comes from seeing @Wen's recent 1/48 scale Spanish F-4C RFI:

Wen's is a stunning model, and it made me realise just how right the F-4C in SEA camo and Spanish markings looks. So much so before I knew it I had ordered the kit from Hobby Search Japan and the decals and AM direct from Series Espanolas and Reskit, respectively.

I have no self control, sometimes!

I'm keen to make a start once the GB begins, but I will exercise just a little self control and finish my current builds first, plus I am away for work in the first half of July, so it will likely be after that before I can really progress this.

But in the meantime I'll follow everyone else's builds in this GB with great interest.

Suerte con tus construcciones,

Gerard

Hi Gerard

Glad to know that my work it's an inspiration for you.

You can contact me when ever you want to solve any question that you have

I recomend you this book related the F-4C in the Spanish air Force:

https://pocketmags.com/avion-revue-internacional-espana-magazine/f-4-phantom-en-el-ejercito-del-aire

Regards

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wen said:

Glad to know that my work it's an inspiration for you.

You can contact me when ever you want to solve any question that you have

I recomend you this book related the F-4C in the Spanish air Force:

https://pocketmags.com/avion-revue-internacional-espana-magazine/f-4-phantom-en-el-ejercito-del-aire

Thank you for the offer of assistance Wen, and the link to the book, which I shall definitely download. I’m looking forward to making a start, and hopefully producing a model worthy of the subject!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A (fashionably?) late start, finally! And at that I’ve not much to show after only managing an hour or two’s work this weekend (too much time spent watching sport!). But a start nonetheless.

Started

So far I’ve assembled and painted the cockpit tub in readiness for the 3D decals, added the requisite bulges to the nose and tail, and started putting some paint down in the intake trunks.

Now that I’ve started though, I’m keen to make some good progress. It’s a really nice kit (my second FM Phantom) that is a joy to build.

• Like 7

On 21/08/2023 at 01:57, modelling minion said:

Good to see your build underway Gerard.👍

Thanks Craig, hopefully it’ll be worth the wait!

I did have to wait a while to get a good run at it, but I had an early mark yesterday and a clear day today, so I’ve made some good progress, finally.

Cockpit is just about ready for installation. Very impressed with the 3D Kelik decals, very easy (much easier than PE and traditional decals) to apply and look fantastic. They fitted well, only real gripe is the background grey didn’t match the dark gull grey I’d painted the cockpit tub with.

Keliked

This kit is a joy to work on. I’ve prepared a range of parts and subassemblies so am just about ready for assembly now. Everything goes together beautifully, and is beautifully detailed. Looking forward to putting them all together.

Ready for assembly

Should be Phantom-shaped very soon!

• Like 10

Gerard, looking good. Interesting that the Kelik 3D are darker than you chose to paint the pit I’ve found Quinta are lighter than I’d want. I’ll remember that for my Iranian D. I see the seat belts are bundled which will make that stage faster. 

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

the Kelik 3D are darker than you chose to paint the pit

Admittedly I didn’t think to check before hand, and could have found/mixed a darker grey to match, but I’m happy with the result, it won’t be obvious with the canopy closed.

Cheers Craig, Stuart, am pretty pleased with how easy to use they are and how good they look.

• Like 2