Easy Company -- "Hello 2nd Armor"

Here's Part 1 of my 101st Airborne project. Hope the diorama section devotee's enjoy these snaps.

36-31-May-2023.jpg

37-31-May-2023.jpg

38-31-May-2023.jpg

39-31-May-2023.jpg

40-31-May-2023.jpg

41-31-May-2023.jpg

42-31-May-2023.jpg

43-31-May-2023.jpg

44-31-May-2023.jpg

45-31-May-2023.jpg

Part 2 will be coming up in a few weeks time.

Cheers

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Cadman said:

Hope the diorama section devotee's enjoy these snaps.

I rather suspect that the figure forum devotees will appreciate this too - as will the armour mob. Great work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2023 at 4:44 PM, echen said:

I rather suspect that the figure forum devotees will appreciate this too - as will the armour mob. Great work!

On 5/31/2023 at 4:57 PM, Muchmirth said:

I agree with Echen, huge work on the figures too. Terrific job, loads to appreciate and a great scene from the tv series “hello 2nd armoured”.

All the best,

Paul

Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive comments.

I'm sure it must be obvious that I prefer to vary the colours of uniforms the troops in my scenes are wearing -- and those of WW2 US Paras seem to be every hue from a light grey-ish olive green through to light brown-ish olive drab. Not forgetting the effects of the weather and stains from mud & vegetation as well. So within sensible limits, it seems that almost anything goes between the range of colours I used. Much the same goes for their webbing, it also appears to vary in colour from a very light khaki to dark green.

Watching "Band of Brothers" again and paying particular attention to what the actors are wearing and the equipment they're using, all the pistol holsters appear to be a brown leather -- I painted them khaki. Sure, you normally wouldn't base painting decisions on a TV show, but I believe Hanks and Spielberg, plus Dale Dye, went to great lengths to ensure accuracy in uniforms and equipment for BoB. Which is just as well, because I'm really limited for references and usually have to depend on the internet for info, which brings its own issues.

The other thing that strikes me from viewing the show is how much the troopers were festooned with additional ammo bandoliers, musette bags, and so on. All of which I'll bear in mind for Part 2.

Cheers

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 1

With a due nod to both Don Mclean and Vincent, the "Starry Starry Night" backdrop to my original batch of photos was an experiment in trying to depict a night scene. I think it worked okay but just for shucks here's a few shots with a late evening backdrop. 

46-01-Jun-2023.jpg

47-01-Jun-2023.jpg

48-01-Jun-2023.jpg

49-01-Jun-2023.jpg

To be perfectly honest I've been studying the diorama this afternoon and picking it apart as it could, (and ought to have been), much better.

Among the foul-up's are;

a) helmets fixed too high on certain of the figure heads -- doh

b) gaiters painted exactly the same as the boots -- laziness

c) lack of slings on weapons -- laziness

d) poor highlights and shadows on the uniforms -- need to increase the contrasts next time

e) using those pretty awful Italeri figures to fill out the ranks -- a dumb mistake

f) over enthusiastic use of coal-black face cammo paint -- another dumb mistake, should've used a dark grey instead and smudged the paint before it dried

g) the Masterbox figures are acceptable enough straight OOTB -- but can be substantially improved by adding equipment and using replacement heads

There's more, but these are the issues that tend to immediately leap out at me. Happily, they're all fixable and shall be addressed in Part 2.

At the end of the day it's been good experience and has helped my learning curve with 1/35 scale figures, although I suspect SWMBO will have something to say when the bills come in for the additional figure orders I've already placed and those still to be entered.

Okay, being realistic she'll have plenty to say ... 🤔 ... but that's okay -- I can live on dry toast, or even cook my own rice and noodles, for a while ... 😉 ... 🙄

Cheers

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Homer said:

Congratulations on a fine piece of work, looks very realistic. Looking forward to part 2 .

Thanks mate.

I'm always outrageously optimistic in my timescale estimates, but at the moment I'd say Part 2 will be ready for posting in around 6 to 8 weeks from now.

Have made a start on assembling my 2nd set of MB tank riders though.

Cheers

I'm sure you will put all those little things to rights, it's far to easy to be over critical of your own work. But the amount and quality of work already completed is very impressive. Finding good looking figures is sometimes the hardest part of these projects.

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 10:08 PM, Slackbladder said:

I'm sure you will put all those little things to rights, it's far to easy to be over critical of your own work. But the amount and quality of work already completed is very impressive. Finding good looking figures is sometimes the hardest part of these projects.

Yeah, I do tend to beat myself up over 1/35 scale figures ... 😵‍💫

I can do reasonably nice work on most 1/24 (75mm) figures I tackle, and even the occasional 1/32 (54mm), but openly admit that I struggle at times with the smaller scales. 

Of course it's a couple of years since since I last did a 75mm figure and the eyesight isn't getting any better these days, even with the aid of an opto-visor, so sometimes the frustration gets the better of me ... 🥴 

However, shall attempt to tame my typing finger a bit more though and stop coming across as being so grumpy.

As an example of how age creeps up on us all; in my response to Homer I mentioned that I've made a start on the additional box I bought of MB's tank riding 101st and to my intense surprise -- I found three partially assembled MB Para's from the same set in my spares box ... ????? Thinking about it, I do seem to have some vague recollection of buying that set several years back and building a small vignette for one of the Wife's extended family. So I guess these three extras I found were never used and have been completely forgotten about -- until now. It's all to the good though cos I can certainly use them in Part 2 of this wee project. (That would actually make it three times I've bought that particular set. You'd think I could make a real good job of them by now ... LOL).

I agree with your comment re finding good figures. I do like Alpine Miniatures WW2 Allied releases -- the poses can be a bit stiff looking, but that kind of suits the type of scenes that I enjoy churning out. The "Stalingrad" range available on-line, which includes some Allied figures, is also pretty good, as are several of the resin figures that Historex Agents have in their catalogue. Lucky Models in Hong Kong stock a good range of resin figures as well, although there are times when calling them that it helps if you can speak Cantonese -- which I can't -- and evidently my Mandarin isn't good enough for them to understand what I'm trying to say ... 😳 ... guess I must be speaking Mandarin in a broad Scottish accent ... 😄

Cheers

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 1

For Part 2 of this project I already have six Easy Company figures done and as mentioned I've made a start on the ten additional MB figures I have available. 

50-02-Jun-2023.jpg

I've already added the various ammo pouches supplied with the kit plus a few musette bags from my spares box and I have enough spare canteens available that can be used for each figure, and some will get an entrenching tool as well.

One of the new figures now sports a bandolier and I've enough spare ammo pouches to make a second bandolier for another character to hump around.

I ought to get all these MB troopers done by the time my order for additional resin figures gets delivered. That order also includes replacement heads for all the MB figures as well.

Once Part 2 is finished, the intention is to then move on to a 101st Part 3 diorama, set in the Ardennes this time, so that I end up with three separate scenes depicting Easy Company in the three ETO regions they saw major action -- 1) Normandy, 2) Holland and 3) Belgium. 

Mind you, I still need to build two AFV's from my stash for the Ardennes dio.

Cheers

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 3

• Cadman changed the title to Easy Company -- "Hello 2nd Armor"
On 6/5/2023 at 5:52 AM, Crayons said:

Very nice work. A busy but not overwhelming composition. I certainly don't envy you for the amount of figure painting that was involved.

Glad you liked this one.

My stuff usually does feature figure-heavy scenarios. Its probably because when I returned to the modelling hobby back around 2008, I was doing mostly 54mm/75mm white metal Fantasy, Medieval and Samurai miniatures, along with the very occasional 90mm size figure and I wanted to have them all in the scenes I was building. So including a high number of figures in my 1/35 scale dioramas and vignettes is probably just out of habit.

Painting a 1/35 figure with basic shadows and highlights is easy enough. It's all the other stuff such as weapons and the tiny additional equipment that can tend to be time consuming ... 😵‍💫

Cheers

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First things first - very nice diorama Pt. 1! I too have been infected with the Airborne virus by the show... and so I have a little thing to mention: if you're a stickler for historical realism you must take a very close look at the equipment. If I correctly think your scene is happening in Normandy, at least the MB tank riders are incorrectly dressed for the period (I know it says 'Normandy' on the box, but the one who did the original figs knew the show and, for example, let them wear the straight leg army's buckle boots which only were introduced after returning from France. Also the M1919 machine guns were used only on tripods in Normandy, without the wooden shoulder rest. That's me being picky of course... if you don't care about these technicalities that's all right with me (as if it mattered to you if it wasn't😂). I think I see Damian Lewis' Dick Winters in the little conference by the jeep's hood? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

First things first - very nice diorama Pt. 1! I too have been infected with the Airborne virus by the show... and so I have a little thing to mention: if you're a stickler for historical realism you must take a very close look at the equipment. If I correctly think your scene is happening in Normandy, at least the MB tank riders are incorrectly dressed for the period (I know it says 'Normandy' on the box, but the one who did the original figs knew the show and, for example, let them wear the straight leg army's buckle boots which only were introduced after returning from France. Also the M1919 machine guns were used only on tripods in Normandy, without the wooden shoulder rest. That's me being picky of course... if you don't care about these technicalities that's all right with me (as if it mattered to you if it wasn't😂). I think I see Damian Lewis' Dick Winters in the little conference by the jeep's hood? 

I didn't know about the issue with Easy Company's boots, or the fact that the M1919 wooden shoulder rests weren't used in Normandy, so adding to the knowledge base is always useful and thanks for the Tips Johnny ... 😉

Yeah, one of the figures bears a remarkable resemblance to Damian Lewis. In this scale it's quite incredible and demonstrates the amazing talent of whoever created the master sculpt of that particular resin miniature.

Finishing off Part 2 of this project has been somewhat delayed due to the fact I got tied up learning a new software package so I can rip my DVD Box Set of Upstairs/Downstairs to MP4 format at 4K quality.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066722/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3_tt_8_nm_0_q_upstairs%20downstairs

Anyhoo, now that I've worked out how to do it, I can just let the program I'm using do it's thing while I get back to completing the 101st Airborne Part 2 diorama and reckon I'll be posting the new RFI photos around the beginning of next week ... probably ... maybe ... 🤭

Cheers the Noo

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 3